Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic Disputes Disrupt North Korean Summit

ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 24, 2018 12:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Rumors abound concerning a firestorm of controversy on an obscure coin-collectors' website relating to a just-announced commemorative coin relating to the just-cancelled Trump-Kim summit meeting.

Chatroom denizen turned social media darling @CaptainAhab was quoted as saying "I'm lampooning this round metal object. Unless you believe in time travel, of course. Coin? Try to spend one yet?". World financial markets are currently trembling at this challenge to the credibility of the issuing authority.

Esthetic opinion has been mixed, with heated exchanges, especially between third-grade crayola devotees and 8th grade metal shop theorists. Cartoonist/culture maven Stan Lee commented "Disney fired that artist in 1934. And those archetypes have been much more convincingly portrayed on Pee Wee's Playhouse. Get off my lawn".

Insiders (not him) relate that Supreme Leader Kim was not flattered by an image that "does not sufficiently recognize the status awarded him by the US news organization "The Onion" as the World's Sexiest Man". but American officials resist commenting on reports that North Korean hackers substituted an image of the currently embalmed Chairman Mao to pre-emptively sabotage the meeting.

National Security Advisor John Bolton stated "The President's hair looks better than a mushroom cloud, get my point? #Winning"

Secret Service officials have not yet commented on the few that have begun to show up on Ebay, but reports say they are already charging up their golf carts in readiness.

Plans for a Wall commemorative have been put on hold until algorithms currently used for tax policy are adapted to studies of time travel

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Comments

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best laugh I've had all day, maybe all month. Thanks Colonel.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both this coin board and another board have removed discussions about this item.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    edited May 24, 2018 12:51PM

I hear way too much from "the Colonel" myself, and imagine he has ten times that much drivel in his head that he spares us. I classify his writing style as "neo-pretentiously florid" :s

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 12:58PM

It's not a surprise that that this effort failed. The North Koreans have a bad track record with presidents from both political parties. It's sad that something could not have come of it because everyone, including the North Koreans, would have been better off. My dream for the North Koreans would have been that they could have developed a sort of hybred economy that China has.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 2:24PM

So I take it those horrendous Trump-Kim Challenge Commemorative coins are being recalled.

This summit was never going to happen.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 2:24PM

I heard that Kim had a whole bunch of Kweichow Auto Dollars stolen from his peasants that he promised to produce at the summit.

When he reneged, the summit was cancelled.

That's what I heard.

Maybe.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 9:43PM

Korea is FOOLISH,,,,,, with all the coin the US was going to send them,,,,,,, Kim won't be upgrading any of his Registry Sets now ;)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, some of those coins will reach the market and go for $$$.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

When asked if victims of the Trump/Kim "coin" scam would receive refunds, Trump said "I don't recall!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 2:45PM

Is @Screwie posting in this thread?

Edit: The @name turned blue so he must be real!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options

@Insider2 said:
    IMO, some of those coins will reach the market and go for $$$.

The same thought crossed my head. For now it looks like you can get them on the cheap

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/05/24/commemorative-north-korea-summit-coin-selling-at-a-discount/23442959/

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

The same thought crossed my head. For now it looks like you can get them on the cheap

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/05/24/commemorative-north-korea-summit-coin-selling-at-a-discount/23442959/

m

If you check the White House Gift Shop website (which took me an hour to access after that news broke) you will see that the challenge coin they are selling is not the same as the one produced for the official delegation.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to wonder how many on this forum have ever negotiated with Koreans. Or anyone else on a high-stakes issue.
    I have.
    Koreans are tough negotiators and somewhat unpredictable.
    They test you to see what they can get to try to get an advantage.

Gotta play your cards properly - hopefully you have a position of strength. What is happening is classic.

The guys and gals in the peanut gallery ought to keep their traps shut. Dems are used to giving things away for free.

I think it is highly likely that NOKO will be back to the table with a different attitude.

As I stated in the poofed thread, I think that being at the table is far better than lobbing nukes across the hemisphere.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@JBK said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

If you check the White House Gift Shop website (which took me an hour to access after that news broke) you will see that the challenge coin they are selling is not the same as the one produced for the official delegation.

You mean there are two challenge coins produced of the same event that was never going to happen? Holy Crap. Well the gift shop one is 20% off

m

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

“The coin will be made whether or not the summit occurs as scheduled because the theme is coming closer to peace and celebrates the act of communication among countries,” according to a message from the gift shop.”
    Yeah, that’s the ticket!

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this thread turning into a mushroom cloud. Or at least a destroyed nuke site.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I have heard that the real reason why the Summit won't happen in June is that fatboy is scared to death that he will be deposed if he travels to Singapore. How could this be as he is so universally beloved by his people?

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee, I never would have thought this thread would turn political.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, those chat room weenies.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh well... There goes the secret plan to sell challenge coins/medals in the White House Gift Shop as part of the yet to be introduced federal deficit reduction plan.

Unofficial and unconfirmed reports hint that the challenge coins/medals will be replaced with Plan B... The sale of Playing cards and calendars.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2018 8:15PM

Alex Jones is an Iranian troll

Nah.....

Laugh at the Brits for Brexit, but the ones who bought coins from those two nice kids last week will make more off them than some of us will with our tax breaks. :p

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Oh well... There goes the secret plan to sell challenge coins/medals in the White House Gift Shop as part of the yet to be introduced federal deficit reduction plan.

Unofficial and unconfirmed reports hint that the challenge coins/medals will be replaced with Plan B... The sale of Playing cards and calendars.

Can't decide if this is humor or sarcasm.

After a few seconds of thought, it's not funny, so must be sarcasm.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should become a TV soap opera.... "As the stomach turns".....Actually, while the coin is not attractive, the event is important. Having been trained in, and actively involved in negotiations for many years, it is interesting to watch the events unfold. Stay tuned folks... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the hair.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    So I take it those horrendous Trump-Kim Challenge Commemorative coins are being recalled.

mark

I like you Mark, but I still think "leaders" can make anything happen.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2018 11:17AM

It is clearly not funny that our democratic experience has descended to a new low which create circumstances that beg for humor with an edge. Some may suggest this Is sarcasm and others understand and appreciate the difference.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2018 6:29PM

Monday, I go to visit the grave of a man killed two days before I was born. Monte Cassino 4/11/44, :(
    After my Mom remarried, my Dad's twin sister uncovered unmentioned "friendly fire" when he was re-interred here from the Nettuno cemetery. The Muslim Gold Star parents hadn't shown up yet to give me a taste of the true depths of stewpidity of Cadet Bones Spurs, and I'm not sure if I'd thought about that piece of my history for a dozen years before, but when he called John McCain a loser, I wondered what list my Dad or I was on for believing sacrifice meant something. :'(

Pray for the Republic <3

• Options

Hopefully contemplating character and what constitutes character will emerge as a higher priority...

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I like you Mark, but I still think "leaders" can make anything happen.

I won’t hold my breath but I hear you

you’re swell yourself ; )

m

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much healthier would the world leaders be if they took up healthy and historical hobbies like numismatics, the "king" of hobbies?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file