Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Distribution plan for new 1853 silver coins.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 24, 2018 10:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This letter gives us added insight into how the Mint Bureau and Treasury Department planned to distribute new quarters and dimes made at the reduced weight standard.

[The attached file is the original document.]

Mint of the United States
Philadelphia

June 9, 1853

Hon. James Guthrie
Secretary of the Treasury
Washington, City

Sir,
In compliance with the request contained in your favors of the 30th ultimo and 4th inst., I have directed the Treasurer to furnish silver coins to the offices herein named. They will be forwarded today per Messrs. Adams & Co.’s express subject to the same regulations which were adopted in regard to the distribution of the 3 cent pieces.

The amount is as follows:
Treasury at Washington $2,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Treasury at Boston $2,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Treasury at New York $3,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Treasury at Charleston $1,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Treasury at St. Louis $1,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Depositories at Baltimore $2,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Depositories at Norfolk $1,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Depositories at Savannah $1,000 one half in q. dollars, ½ in dimes
Total $12,000

This amount is as much as can be furnished at present. I will direct the sending forward of further sums when the deliveries of coin to the Treasurer of the Mint will warrant it. I would be glad to have your opinion as to the amount necessary to meet the wants of the several offices above named. Hereafter the office at St. Louis may be supplied from the Branch Mint at New Orleans, to accomplish which I will give the Superintendent the necessary instructions.

I have the honor to be, with great respect,
Your obedient servant,
James Ross Snowden

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - think about all those sparkling new A&R quarters!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Are "O"-Mint pieces still concentrated in the St. Louis area? Attics, cookie jars, old pants pockets....?

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

This may sound stupid & I just came in out of the sun,
    but why is that total $12,000 and not $13,000 ?

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

@LoveMyLiberty said:

:) 'Cause that's what's in the original.

• Options

I'll return to the sun then.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

For New York City that was only $1,500 in quarters - 6,000 pieces; and $1,500 in dimes - 15,000 pieces.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting letter. Thank you for sharing.

Question: What is meant by "in your favors of the 30th ultimo and 4th inst."?

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing this information in a systematic format.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LoveMyLiberty said:

This is an example of an application of "the new math" in the mid 19th century. :D

Having been a "victim" of the new math as a student, especially in my college calculus courses, I can relate to how such an error would have occurred.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... and I do not recall seeing the terminology "in your favors of the 30th ultimo and 4th inst." before... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Dear Sir,—About eight days ago I was honored with your favor of the 20th ultimo.
    Patrick Henry

I believe this is a correspondence term used at the time to refer to a prior
    communication between the two parties. He refers to a letter on the 30th &
    another on the 4th of the month about this topic.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

In other words,,, ,,,

Word Origin and History for ultimo
    "in the month preceding the present," 1610s, common in abbreviated form ult. in 18c.-19c. correspondence and newspapers, from Latin ultimo (mense) "of last (month)," ablative singular masc. of ultimus "last" (see ultimate). Earlier it was used in the sense of "on the last day of the month specified" (1580s). Contrasted with proximo "in the next (month)," from Latin proximo (mense).

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2018 5:50PM

Yep! Use of these three terms began to fade in the 1870s and were largely gone from government correspondence by about 1920. Other changes in letter conventions and style seem to have their origin with invention of a practical typewriter.

Treasury prohibited use of handwritten letters in 1897.

Inexpensive telephone connections also changed official internal correspondence. Letters written after about 1915 are much less detailed and contain fewer clues about prior discussions than older ones.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today we would use the actual month, i.e. May 30th and June 4th.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file