Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An amazing opportunity to kick my collection up a notch!

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2018 1:45PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I was recently approached by a fellow numismatist about an opportunity to acquire some of his coins and I knew I had to act. His collection is world-class, full of amazing coins that define both quality and beauty. If all goes well, I should have the coins in 5 days, so I decided to do a reveal thread to keep things a bit more interesting and suspenseful around here :)

We ended up agreeing on 5 coins. All 5 are amazing and there's no way i can pick any kind of order of preference, so i'm just going to go incrementally from the lowest grade to the highest, revealing one a day until Sunday night.

May 23rd: 1796 8 Reales in PCGS AU58, replacing my existing AU53 example I picked up from John @ CRO in 2012.

May 24th: 1801-FT 8 Reales in PCGS AU58. Over the years I've had a number of 1801-FT/M over-assayers varieties, but surprisingly not a regular FT. There's one graded higher at MS62 at PCGS, but nowhere near the eye-appeal of this piece.

May 25th: Nothing to say other than this is the best looking 1791 I have ever encountered. PCGS MS63 and "all there"

May 26th: Common date, very uncommon quality - 1810-HJ in MS63.

May 27th: Last but not least - 1805 8 Reales in MS64. Beautiful example of the Narow Date minor variety with nice clean fields. The strike weakness is the only minor downside to an otherwise amazing coin. Not to mention it's my first MS64 in this series ever.

Comments