Home Precious Metals

Silver eagle monster box or 6 Gold Buffalo Proofs?

This could be my decision in about a month. I could use more gold to even things out.

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion vs bullion

Not bullion vs numismatic

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

No proofs of anything

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Monster. Unless the gold is really close to spot

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've asked for an apples vs. oranges comparison. A more apples to apples question might be Silver Eagle Monster Box vs. 1 roll of 1/4 oz. AGEs, especially if you want to "even things out".

I love Proof Gold Buffaloes, but they come with a hefty premium, about half of which you may never get back unless you hit paydirt with a sleeper low mintage year.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go with the Monster Box of Silver Eagles,,,,, GS ratio favors silver right now/

GrandAm :)
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the gold bit, but not the proof piece.
    The gold would be easier to store and easier to move, imo.

I, personally, would LOVE to have a monster box of SAEs...would be cool. But, in a case like this, I think quick liquidity, if it is valued at all, is on the side of gold. Just wouldn't do proofs, for the reason mentioned above, by jmski52

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monster box, for sure !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2018 2:58AM

I have a ton of silver. It's heavy, bulky and just takes up too much room. I'll take gold close to melt in the form of AGE's and PCGS or NGC MS-63 or MS-64 Saints,

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buff proofs are popular and attractive, but are way too overpriced by the Mint to serve as a bullion investment.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did not state why you would be buying either... stacking, collecting, investment.... I would go with gold non-proof for stacking and also quick liquidity.... monster box if your gold stack is already way out of proportion to silver.... just for balance. Cheers, RickO

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2018 12:36PM

I would stick with cash at this time or a 6 month T'bill paying about 2%.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

To many variables to answer your question. Do you have space to store 500 more silver eagles? What price would you be able to get the gold/silver coins at?

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I’m not interested in a big green box. Whenever I look at a silver Eagle, I really don’t wish I could have a bunch more exactly like it. Do people even open these up or is cracking the seal bad? When I hold an ounce of gold, I definitely DO wish I had more to go with it. Personally, I would go with the proof Buffalos. Having a giant Buffalo Nickle in gold never gets old, especially the proof ones. Who cares about the premiums, it’s money to burn in the first place. Its the ride, not the destination.

That’s just me, if the goal is getting out alive with a tiny profit, then I’m not the guy to ask. I usually decide these things with my gut feeling and my eyes,,,,,then my brain..lol

@OPA said:

Treasury direct , I-bonds are paying 2.5%

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2018 4:37PM

@bronco2078 said:

@OPA said:

Yeh but I-bonds you're talking five years till you can redeem without a penalty. I have some I bought in 2001 that are currently paying 5.52% and some from 2003 paying 3.59%.

If I had to make a choice today I'd pick the monster box.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@tommy44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@OPA said:

Yeh but I-bonds you're talking five years till you can redeem without a penalty. I have some I bought in 2001 that are currently paying 5.52% and some from 2003 paying 3.59%.

If I had to make a choice today I'd pick the monster box.

the only ones I've bought I used tax refunds to buy . I wanted the paper bonds not the electronic.

if you redeem bbefore 5 years the penalty is the last 3 months interest

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 month Treasury bills are paying 2.09% ... Also available through Treasury Direct. ( Tax exempt for State Income Tax )..Your funds are only tied up for 6 month and hopefully by then, we'll know which way the PM market is headed, instead of the sideways cycle that we are currently in.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys talking about something that pays interest?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    You did not state why you would be buying either... stacking, collecting, investment.... I would go with gold non-proof for stacking and also quick liquidity.... monster box if your gold stack is already way out of proportion to silver.... just for balance. Cheers, RickO

Stacking my friend. I have always wanted a monster box... but how I love gold coins. If I do decide on the monster box... I will dedicate the next year to gold bullion coins. I admit, the proof buffs are not ideal for stacking... I just have an infatuation with them.

@ShadyDave said:
    To many variables to answer your question. Do you have space to store 500 more silver eagles? What price would you be able to get the gold/silver coins at?

I have the storage... not an issue. Roughly 9k for either... give or take a few dollars. Whenever I get ready to pick something up, I hope for a 30 day drop. I am leaning Monster box... but I know a buff proof is not far behind.

@dennis1219 said:

@ricko said:

Stacking my friend. I have always wanted a monster box... but how I love gold coins. If I do decide on the monster box... I will dedicate the next year to gold bullion coins. I admit, the proof buffs are not ideal for stacking... I just have an infatuation with them.

Don't buy anything you have an infatuation with , you will find it harder to sell at the right time.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Interest????? What is this thing called "Interest" that you speak of?

I have never seen proof of any such thing???

GrandAm :)
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 8:31AM

@cohodk said:

No :). Mostly we are talking about things that have (pique) our interest.

HE>I

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

The monster due to what others mention regarding the GSR. Certainly wouldn't be buying proof anything for stacking unless able to get for same price as standard bullion.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

VMMXX money market fund currently at 1.86% and rising

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rescued some more dollars today. They were crying, "Help me, don't let them debase my purchasing power! Help!"

I bought AGEs. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@blitzdude said:
    The monster due to what others mention regarding the GSR. Certainly wouldn't be buying proof anything for stacking unless able to get for same price as standard bullion.

did you piss in someones cheerios?

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

Negative, just inherited a stalker who likes to disagree with every post I make. The rare coin business in Arizona must be extremely slow. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@blitzdude said:

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

Negative, just inherited a stalker who likes to disagree with every post I make. The rare coin business in Arizona must be extremely slow. lol

Its just really hot in arizona so people get angry and it lasts about 8 months

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

i could use some gold :/

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold IRA and a speared Buffalo made of nickel, in numismatics. Monsters in boxes ?

HE>I

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

You could prob find 100 ounce silver bars close to spot. Easy to unload, you can bury them if you had to.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • silverman68silverman68 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Silver has room to run!!!

• ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 11:49PM

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

Its just really hot in arizona so people get angry and it lasts about 8 months

NO, blitzdud has been stalking me here for months. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

ASE Monster Box for $8652.50 on ebay

Very reputable seller, bought a few from them.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@derryb

Very reputable seller, bought a few from them.

Yes. Seeing as the price has dropped roughly 1k since my post. I also pulled the plug and got a monster box too. If silver drops more, I may pick up a couple kilo bars.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither 1 oz. gold bars sealed in a blister card, assayed with fineness and weight. I do have a ton of 10oz. bars though.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really think that you might have to use silver as a trade item someday, and don't have enough silver, pick the monster box. Otherwise, pick the AGE or fractional AGE.

Your age and personal circumstances are major factors too.