Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

4 oz 50 State Quarter Commemorative from Highland Mint

Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone has come across the 2007 through 2009 rounds from this collection? For some reason I can find 1999 to 2006 easily (ebay, other places) but can't find these last three anyplace. I've contacted the mint and they've never gotten back to me with any advice.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm new here, look forward to meeting folks!

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ehockenb said:
    Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone has come across the 2007 through 2009 rounds from this collection? For some reason I can find 1999 to 2006 easily (ebay, other places) but can't find these last three anyplace. I've contacted the mint and they've never gotten back to me with any advice.

Are you sure they made any? A lot of these commercial pieces were made and sold to an unsuspecting public early in the series and then waned as the series dragged on.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ehockenb said:

Are you sure they made any? A lot of these commercial pieces were made and sold to an unsuspecting public early in the series and then waned as the series dragged on.

If the "mint" hasn't responded, they may have gone out of business. Lots of competition in that area.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call them up & find out

1-800-544-6135

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    goldfixer21goldfixer21 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2018 1:46PM

If the "mint" hasn't responded, they may have gone out of business. Lots of competition in that area.

My brother has worked at The Highland Mint for over 25 years, they are definitely still in business. They have made the "flip coin" for the Super Bowl for the last 18 years or so. Let me call him and see what I can find out.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

I just talked to my brother. He does recall making those, but they do not have any available there. He said there is a possibility that they still have the dies, but to re-strike an individual coin would be very pricey, if they even have the die.

• Options

Thanks for checking with him, I really appreciate it! I know they distributed them, one time a guy had a complete set he was selling (for a nuts amount of money!). I'd be curious if they can do a re-strike, but understand they may not. Do they normally keep all the dies or get rid of them over time? I wonder if they made fewer of those years? If there are any ideas about where they might be found I'd be highly interested, if anyone comes across them I'd love a heads up!

• Options

@ehockenb said:
    Thanks for checking with him, I really appreciate it! I know they distributed them, one time a guy had a complete set he was selling (for a nuts amount of money!). I'd be curious if they can do a re-strike, but understand they may not. Do they normally keep all the dies or get rid of them over time? I wonder if they made fewer of those years? If there are any ideas about where they might be found I'd be highly interested, if anyone comes across them I'd love a heads up!

I will see if he can have someone look and see if they have the dies. They do so many different coins, and products, that I imagine they eventually discard some obsolete or discontinued dies.

• Options

Do they destroy the dies when they discard them? Just curious how they do that, I can't imagine they sell them or anything but I could be wrong. Thanks for asking him!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ehockenb said:
    Do they destroy the dies when they discard them? Just curious how they do that, I can't imagine they sell them or anything but I could be wrong. Thanks for asking him!

I doubt Private mints generally destroy the dies at all UNLESS they make a strictly limited edition item. My local mint has thousands of dies from the last 50+ years from old projects. There is no reason for them to destroy them. They are far too valuable.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ehockenb... Welcome aboard.... I cannot help with your search, however, this is a great place for coin collectors. There are many of the hobbies foremost experts that post here and are very willing to answer questions about coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum and with your curiosity your knowledge would advance in no time. I would love to see the big coin...I bet they look very nice with magnified details. Please post picture when you see one :)
    @ehockenb

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Here's a pic of the 2007

• Options

They do have the dies. They are checking see if they can be struck, and if so a cost to do it.

• Options

Awesome, thanks!

• Options

It's really cool seeing the dies, I'm glad your brother was able to find them!

• Options

Hey guys! Any update on whether these can be re-struck?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file