Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

And? The coin looks fake. Too many tool marks where they don't belong.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

ouch, not the type of thing I would want someone to say if that was my coin! Hope its actually real

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 11:50PM

Besides the aforementioned tool marks and other funkiness in the fields, there is a lot of missing detail on the eagle and also right side of obverse. Russian gold of this period was struck under high quality standards. Can't say I've seen one struck this weakly before. I would give the seller the benefit of the doubt that they checked if it was solid gold or not. If that part checks out it may be a jeweler's copy. Either that or a genuine oddity, but I'd feel very uncomfortable calling it genuine based on the photos.

Edit: Upon further reading I found this informative tidbit from @gxseries https://www.cointalk.com/threads/another-find-what-the-heck-is-it.13192/page-2#post-115248 (post #25)

It would certainly explain what were are seeing with this coin and also make sense if it were indeed solid gold :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018 8:11AM

@mkman123 said:
    ouch, not the type of thing I would want someone to say if that was my coin! Hope its actually real

I certainly agree with that! I guess it depends a lot on who is saying the coin is counterfeit and why, AFAIK, folks are always reporting suspect fakes to Ebay. They must be qualified to make that call.

In the counterfeit detection classes I've been in, we make a distinction between "LOOKS" and "IS" counterfeit. That's because lots of genuine coins "look" counterfeit. :)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018 12:03AM

:) !!!

Timbuk3