Home Precious Metals
Options

Warren Buffett On Gold.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

One can move markets up or down if one has enough money.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take it off the paper and sell it like the good old days and see where it go's. I would go to jail if I sold something I did not have but the market can do just that some day it will bite them in the back side.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If his holdings were researched, I would bet there is gold among them.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about both!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Warren is a market maker. He quietly bought AAPL during the last 4 months. Then he announced that he bought $75,000,000 worth and it went through the roof. He's made $30 per per share on the announcement and I suspect he's selling it all off as I type.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

T Boone Pickens was gobbling up Boeing stock and everyone thought he was trying a take-over so the stock soared. He sold the stock and made $5M on the deal. When the press asked him about take-over plans he said he didn't have any - he just felt the stock was undervalued.
    Must be nice to have that much sway.

thefinn
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Warren is a market maker. He quietly bought AAPL during the last 4 months. Then he announced that he bought $75,000,000 worth and it went through the roof. He's made $30 per per share on the announcement and I suspect he's selling it all off as I type.

Make that 75 million shares or about $10 billion dollars worth. It is estimated he will receive $700 million a year in dividends on his Apple holdings of around 245 million shares or 5% of all outstanding shares.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Warren Buffett is not going to hype gold, he wants people to have faith in the u.s. dollar. once the people no longer trust the dollar, it will be worth nothing, as it is not backed by gold. he has a lot of fiat dollars to protect

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish gold paid a dividend.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick with Coke and Apple, WB.

• Options

@cohodk said:

It doesn't need to, it's an insurance policy. Does your car or homeowner's insurance pay a dividend unless something happens. Life insurance does, but the person that has it doesn't get to collect it.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

It doesn't need to, it's an insurance policy. Does your car or homeowner's insurance pay a dividend unless something happens. Life insurance does, but the person that has it doesn't get to collect it.

It's not an insurance policy.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

It is. That's the reason all KNOWLEDGEABLE investment counselors recommend people to have 10% of their portfolios in gold. It is insurance against a crash, and you don't lose it cashing in on it.

thefinn
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

It is. That's the reason all KNOWLEDGEABLE investment counselors recommend people to have 10% of their portfolios in gold. It is insurance against a crash, and you don't lose it cashing in on it.

Really? That's only recommended by those that are PM peddlers. Please, post your proof to the contrary.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2018 2:51PM

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

Oy vey. Shaking my head.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

Oy vey. Shaking my head.

Conchale!

thefinn
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned a long time ago if you can’t beat them join them. Life ain’t fair. I’ve owned Berkshire for 15 years. My only mistake was not buying it earlier and not buying more B shares when they were released.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

Ha, The chances of Warren selling off his Apple after 4 months is roughly zero. Warren is a capitalist and has had advantages many don't in the world of investing and I like having a little shiny metal. but let's be real here, most people would be and have been, much better off following Buffets advice than any adviser past or present, pumping gold as anything other than a small piece of a diversified portfolio.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very wealth and got stuck with this stock and it’s been a while. Once the regular Joe has forgotten. I will go on TV and say how I am all in on said stock. Once Average Joe who want to be me goes ahead and buys enough I will sell off my stock. Crisis avoided. Rinse and repeat. How about Wells Fargo I hear they are gonna be real tough on them self’s this time. New beginning.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil’s Gang

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

13Fs are mandatory, so don't get to caught up on the "public announcement" thing, you may dislike WB because he trashes gold or for what ever reason, but he is no pump and dumper.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2018 10:57PM

@bluelobster said:
    13Fs are mandatory, so don't get to caught up on the "public announcement" thing, you may dislike WB because he trashes gold or for what ever reason, but he is no pump and dumper.

if you buy Berkshire B shares you are basically in the trades by proxy

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

BRK.B has averaged 10.0% annual return in the last 15 years. Gold, in that same timeframe, is up 9.4% annually. On a $10K initial investment, that’s about a $100/year difference. And neither pays a dividend.

Sure, you can pick out times where one vastly outperforms the other. That’s how spin doctors make their living.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

wells fargo is in the news again for altering customers information without consent. This is probably the most corrupt big bank out there but Uncle Warren appears to be okay with how they operate.

here is at least a partial list

https://www.corp-research.org/wells-fargo

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    wells fargo is in the news again for altering customers information without consent. This is probably the most corrupt big bank out there but Uncle Warren appears to be okay with how they operate.

here is at least a partial list

https://www.corp-research.org/wells-fargo

Now they're apologizing for being crooked... wait, they're just saying they are rebooting to a new future. And yet they screwed new customers. I can't believe people still bank with them. They were my bank for about a month after they took over my regional bank. That was about all I could take. Our payroll dept asked why I was changing banks when I had my direct deposit changed from then to another bank. I told them that WF did banking a little different than other banks. And her reply was, "No, they do banking A LOT different than other banks."

thefinn
  • Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

Mine does. USAA ftw

• Options

@ranger1202 said:

@thefinn said:

@cohodk said:

Mine does. USAA ftw

Do you get to hold the premiums?

thefinn
  • Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

"Gold Is Money, Everything Else Is Credit"

• JP Morgan
  • Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2018 5:20AM

What Warren always gets wrong is that his argument offers a false dichotomy. I would not necessarily pit stocks against gold, I would pit gold against fiat.

He's correct in saying that gold just sits there and does nothing, but so does fiat...except fiat is constantly devalued by inflation. If you have some fiat saved, and don't want to put more into the stock market, then gold and/or silver offer potential protection against the constant erosion of fiat.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sep 5th 2001 gold @ $271/oz.
    Sep 5th 2011 gold @ $1895/oz.

Guess if you boarded and exited the train at these times you did very well.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO