Home Precious Metals
Options

What is your sell price?

For those of us who are long haul holders... care to share your target sell prices for gold and silver.
For me it’s $2500 gold and 50 Silver.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 4:21PM

@dennis1219 said:
    For those of us who are long haul holders... care to share your target sell prices for gold and silver.

All I can say.....I hope you have a history of longevity in your family tree. Just like any asset class, I'm selling when there is a profit to be made. To fully divest myself of this pain in the ars:

Silver: $23+
    Gold...$1,500+

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I get what your sying. PM’s are an investment for me that most likely will be cashed in by my kids... not really expecting to hit my target...but... ya never know.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of profiteers, few stackers.

I could give numbers but the profiteers will keep gold in this area +/-. So, what's the point?

Silver is a tougher call. It might see low 20's again and maybe 13-14 again.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I echo the same sentiment as derryb. I like PMs for asset diversification. My kids will like them for inheritance diversification.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@dennis1219 said:

All I can say.....I hope you have a history of longevity in your family tree. Just like any asset class, I'm selling when there is a profit to be made. To fully divest myself of this pain in the ars:

Gold...$1,500+

Once you sell off your PM's, where are you planning to put the money from that sale?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@OPA said:

@dennis1219 said:

Gold...$1,500+

Once you sell off your PM's, where are you planning to put the money from that sale?

At my age....75.....Leave it for the kids & grand kids. Let them decide.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 8:02PM

My kids will inherit it. With instructions as to what is just bullion and what has collector value and about how much. I will tell them to shop it and not take the first offer or better yet leave it to their kids. I wish my parents had collected. I would love inheriting coins and bullion.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

all fiat currency eventually will see hyperinflation, the Roman empire fell after thousands of years when their currency went worthless. I hope I never see the u.s. dollar go down that path, having to barter with gold and silver

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    all fiat currency eventually will see hyperinflation, the Roman empire fell after thousands of years when their currency went worthless. I hope I never see the u.s. dollar go down that path, having to barter with gold and silver

You are seeing the dollar going down that path, since silver coinage stopped. The Roman empire was basically the same, once they started using 'clad' money the fall began.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

@coinpalice said:

You are seeing the dollar going down that path, since silver coinage stopped. The Roman empire was basically the same, once they started using 'clad' money the fall began.

So their Empire was only based on coinage?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited May 3, 2018 4:58AM

@coinpalice said:

Totally agree. With the ballooning national debt it's only a matter of time before it will be necessary to further inflate the currency to pay down the national debt with cheaper dollars. Twice in American history, Americans experienced their paper money becoming worthless. During and after the Revolutionary War the paper money issued by their government became worthless ("not a continental") and during the Civil War, the paper money held by the people living in the southern states saw their value drop to zero. The paper money we are currently using is slowly becoming worthless. Compare the value of a paper dollar today with a paper dollar at the turn of the last century. Today's dollar is worth about 5 cents of a dollar of 1900. I remember back around 1960 you could buy a Coke or a Pepsi from a vending machine for five cents. What do they cost now?

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

gold.......I own less than an ounce so irrelevent silver...... $22 per ounce

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a number in particular. If I think gold/silver price is overinflated, I will liquidate and try to find a depressed asset class to move into. Did that in 2010-2011 and transitioned into equities. I have been slowly working my way out of equities after almost a 10 year bull market. I'm going to hold cash for a bit and see what presents itself as my next opportunity. Rinse and repeat :)

• Options

when you can no longer pay your army or feed them, or your foreign mercenaries to prop up their armies, your not going to be a superpower very long

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@DrBuster said:

@coinpalice said:

No but as coinpalice stated, part of the economic failure was about the army and debasement. Once they stopped getting gold/silver as payment folks decided to go home basically, or turn right around and charge on the empire itself.

This has pictures and stuffs:
    http://money.visualcapitalist.com/currency-and-the-collapse-of-the-roman-empire/

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

$45 silver, $1900 gold. I don’t see that anytime soon though. Maybe decades. However, I’d be content to sell silver at $30.

Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would need a bare minimum of $30 silver and $1600 gold before I would even consider selling.

• Options

I don't really have a sell price. I'll sell off some PM's only when I need some cash for life's necessities.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need, at the present time, to consider selling PM's....One never knows what the future may bring. That is why I have stores of all the necessary materials for bad times. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

@cohodk said:

@DrBuster said:

@coinpalice said:

No but as coinpalice stated, part of the economic failure was about the army and debasement. Once they stopped getting gold/silver as payment folks decided to go home basically, or turn right around and charge on the empire itself.

This has pictures and stuffs:
    http://money.visualcapitalist.com/currency-and-the-collapse-of-the-roman-empire/

That's a cool link. Thanks.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

When they raised the price of a comic book from $.010 to $.012, to $0.15 - I knew that the fix was in.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I don't really have a sell price. I'll sell off some PM's only when I need some cash for life's necessities.

Ditto. In the meantime, I still stack. It's risk diversification over time, i.e. dollar cost averaging.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

they are calling for gold at 2,000/ounce by 2018, 100 dollars above the 2011 high, lol
    http://www.kitco.com/news/2018-05-03/My-Case-For-Gold-Hitting-A-Record-High-Above-2-000.html

• Options

2028-sorry

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or you could ask at what price do you stop stacking and just hold?

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Or you could ask at what price do you stop stacking and just hold?

Good question. I will slow down when silver hits $20... gold $1500. And watch for awhile.

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    2028-sorry

$2000 by 2028??!! That's like what, 4.5% per year growth?? Ugh.

• Options

yeah, hopefully this guy is wrong, I would like to think I am stacking for a reason

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Bought/buying for insurance policy only, and to pass to the kids. Only sold some culls and pure junk

Almost have my goal in Au, still picking up here and there; have the Ag stacked at 90% US in at about 11.5x face overall average. Enough for wife / me, and to get the kids started as they are getting older/ married, etc. start building their insurance/disaster policy. If grandkids want to search rolls of dimes to start Whitman folders, I would look forward to hunting through them to find dates :)

When no longer here, where no thieves, rust, moths, etc -- to be passed on and they can do as they wish.

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd stop stacking in the aftermath of a parabolic move up.

For a parabolic move down, I'd consider a larger set of buys.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

End game price for this cycle, probably $45 silver like the last cycle.
    BUT Dang it!!!
    Make sure I get the memo this time.
    I could be sitting twice the size stack this go around.

Day to Day price, if I can pull 100% profit or better on a piece consider it SOLD.

• Options

I'd stop stacking in the aftermath of a parabolic move up.
    For a parabolic move down, I'd consider a larger set of buys.

In the 1980 spike, I was advised to sell some gold on the way up, at around $625 which I did. I didn't sell any silver until after the spike, at around $35. My mistake was in making another silver buy later, when the market had already been killed off.

From this perspective, you can only try to time the high and you will likely miss it, although not completely. However, buying before the spike can be done quite effectively as you build a position with a low cost basis. Then, selling is less problematic.

The market moves in steps. Ignoring the spikes, gold has moved up gradually over time - in steps, so has silver. When the prices have been low and boring for years after a run-up and subsequent blowoff - that is the true price. After a run-up, it takes a long time to establish where the step up has taken you.

It's been a long time since the last run-up. I consider today's prices to be pretty close to the real market values. There will be another run-up, another blowoff, and another higher step established. For silver, it really doesn't matter whether the price is $14 or $18. Current prices are very much analogous to the $6 to $9 range in 2006.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

_. I consider today's prices to be pretty close to the real market values_

In 2011 many would have argued with you that those prices were the real market value. In fact I believe you can search this forum for many examples. Why is $17 the real market price when $45 was not? Could your analysis apply to other asset classes? What would you say to someone who today believes the price should be 45 or 80 and is being depressed by "them"?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

$4000 gold but it will only have the purchasing power of today's price of $1310, and by the time you pay the capital gains tax you will be losing money.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 11:01AM

$45 wasn't sustained after the runup. If $45 had been the fair market value, the price would've been volatile around the $45 mark for a few years. But it didn't happen that way.

The fair market value of course - has exactly zero to do with the way that the precious metals markets are manipulated, and the manipulation case was won in court so you can't really intimate that manipulation isn't par for the course.

Could your analysis apply to other asset classes?

I suppose if the price of another type of asset is suppressed for decades as gold was from 1933 to 1973, the same or similar effect might take place after a runup. By golly, it just may be happening again with gold!

What would you say to someone who today believes the price should be 45 or 80 and is being depressed by "them"?

I would say, "manage your finances" and any purchase or sale of silver would ALWAYS depend on their individual situation before any market participation or speculation is advisable. What's that saying - "the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent" or something like that... ;)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

$4000 gold but it will only have the purchasing power of today's price of $1310, and by the time you pay the capital gains tax you will be losing money.

True for just about any appreciating asset, eh?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

Or, you could just hold dollars and lose more money.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm selling at $5 below hystaria.

Last time I sold at $45 while everyone was waiting for $50... Paid off the mortgage and started again.

Some of that was luck, some of it was calculated.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmski52 said:

Or, you could just hold dollars and lose more money.

Yes, because no one does this.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    $45 wasn't sustained after the runup. If $45 had been the fair market value, the price would've been volatile around the $45 mark for a few years. But it didn't happen that way.

If only we were warned.

Could your analysis apply to other asset classes?

I suppose if the price of another type of asset is suppressed for decades as gold was from 1933 to 1973, the same or similar effect might take place after a runup. By golly, it just may be happening again with gold!

Why is it that other mass assets (available readily to the public) such as equities and real estate have not acted like that? Because they are productive assets?

• Options
    edited May 7, 2018 5:08AM

Why is it that other mass assets (available readily to the public) such as equities and real estate have not acted like that? Because they are productive assets?

Two different types of animals. Both of which have been directly supported for the past 8 years by monetary expansion and in the case of real estate (as you've mentioned) with leverage. Yep, stocks represent a productive asset. Real estate can be made into a productive asset using leverage. Leverage can be applied to any asset to magnify the potential gain (along with the attendant increase in risk, of course).

The biggest mass assets are the bond market and real estate, and real estate is very sensitive to changes in interest rates, i.e. the bond market. Stocks are the tail on the dog. He who ends up with the most toys wins. Isn't that the deal? In case you are unaware, most everything hinges on the bond markets, i.e. loans to governments and companies who keep the debt bubble in play as the main hinge pin of almost every transaction made. Bad idea, in my opinion - that's not to say it won't continue indefinitely. However, I don't think that indefinitely is a very solid assumption.

Precious metals are only relevant insofar as they are good reflections of how the economy is being managed - because they function pretty much as the escape hatch when you really don't feel comfortable about the system. Whether or not that escape hatch is a good idea - is subject to much conjecture. Are precious metals prices manipulated? Probably, but so what? Everything else has elements of market manipulation as well. I happen to think that keeping your assets away from the system is a better idea than taking out a loan on the house, the car, the wife, the kids and putting all of your chips on the table at all times - just to be in the game. Not my style.

It's that simple.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 6:26PM

Ok,
    good question, I have a few customers whom I know well enough to know there exit point,

guy 1 mainly a silver man, has approx. 25k oz (mostly in bars.rounds, etc) his target is 31.00(we just talked about this sat)
    (cause I told him, if it hits it, Ill have to call guy listed as number # 2 to help me cover the buy)

guy 2 gold / silver man has approx. 1000 oz silver and about 200 oz gold. silver he would sell at 35.00(that is the level at which he has some at from last run up/to clear a profit) the gold I don't think he will sell, as he is planning on leaving it to the kids .

guy 3 2000 face 90% and approx 3-4 monster box's of silver eagles, and 85 oz gold. he is a 50 dollar silver seller, not sure his gold get out price, (but would def sell it) ( he learned the first time, by not selling)

Have a few smaller holders who would sell between 25-30 silver Id guess, these are folk s with around 250-500 oz

for the record I own absolutely zero oz of gold and silver. I hate the stuff.

• Options

I'm really surprised at the number of folks who would sell in the 25-35 range....that's barely a double from here.

• Options

As the saying goes: Nobody ever lost money taking a profit. B)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    I'm really surprised at the number of folks who would sell in the 25-35 range....that's barely a double from here.

A vendor, you are not. I've been one since '67.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@cohodk said:

A vendor, you are not. I've been one since '67.

Everyone seems to consider PMs as a long term investment yet are content with a double. How much has your home appreciated in the last 30 years? And stocks? Surely long term and investment and appreciation mean different things for different folks.