Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FEUCHT IT ALL... Post Your Feuchtwanger's

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

1837-38 Dr. Lewis Feuchtwanger Merchant Store Card, New York, 27mm Diameter, Plain Edge, German Silver, HT-261 / Low-248, Rarity-7.

I’ve always wanted to own one of Feuchtwanger’s actual merchant advertisement store cards and I missed the finest Choice BU example I really wanted in the Dice/ Hicks collection which sold for $8,625.00 in 2008. When it reappeared for auction in 2010 I was all prepared to acquire it until the live auction quickly reached beyond my comfort zone hammering $17,250.00 with buyer’s premium. Although John J. Ford also had an example NGC graded MS64, it also showed build up dirt in the lettering, and like an ugly baby you don’t dare make eye contact with a bad black corrosion spot on the reverse I just could not get past. I apparently wasn’t alone as it sold dare I say “cheap” without any momentum once it reached the podium. So the example seen here although not the finest known it has surfaces conditions I could live with & it also matches my Choice Almost Uncirculated R.E. Russell Feuchtwanger 12 1/2 Cent piece extremely well.

Briefly circulated however the body of the letters are still rounded, light golden patina on lustrous surfaces, no spots, no hairlines, no planchet striations, no laminations, or any other distractions. The weakness seen on the some of the letters and the irregular rim is a striking condition known to all survivors.

This store card was struck by Wright & Bale for Feuchtwanger on his metal composition also known as American silver, & German silver. Charles Cushing Wright & James Bale also located in New York purchased the business from the widow of die sinker Richard Trested. Lewis Feuchtwanger was located at 377 Broadway from 1831-36 working as a druggist & shared an office with his brother Jacob a dentist/surgeon. In 1837 he moved to 2 Cortlandt Street at the corner of Broadway. He remained there throughout 1838 where he was listed in the directory as a chemist & manufacturer of American silver composition.

Although the earlier 377 Broadway HT-260 Feuchtwanger store card was once considered rarer by Russell Rulau. Once John Ford’s sale in 2013 offered up seven previously unknown HT-260’s to the market compared to only two examples of this issue it majorly tipped the rarity scale upward in the HT-261’s favor.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it has BEER on it too...Congrats

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece and thanks for the history. I do not have any Feuchtwanger's, coins or tokens, but have read a lot about them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Post Your Feuchtwanger's"

Won't I get banned for that?

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome, Frank. You've got a fine example

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Thanks guys & gal :)

@coinsarefun I've missed a couple nice 3 Cent pieces which unfortunately have come up in collection sales with more pressing HTT's :'(

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    edited May 2, 2018 4:47PM

@cardinal said:
    Here's my PCGS-graded piece:

I've seen this in hand twice and as I recall this was part of a hard times collection which sold in the 1980s. I can envision the catalog, but the consignees name escapes me right now. I believe this is also a 5H variety and wish pcgs would finally add such on their labels.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck ...I Laughed before I Liked, but only because I read the thread title before the OP...so I certainly Liked, but I had to give it the LOL over the Like, that's all ;)

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feucht that!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great merchant card, Broadstruck. I did not know those existed. I recall forum member Ambro collected Feuchtwangers by variety and had some of the 3c ones as well. He was one Feucht up dude.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!!!

Doug
  • Options

1837 R.E. Russell, HT-309 / Low-128, R-6.

Ex: Hudson collection.

• Options

@DMWJR said:
    I'm missing one that is collectible. There may be one 3-C owned by the family if any exist, and I don't believe a 6A exists either. I have more, just no photos except these. I have another 2-A in NGC66 and 1-A in PCGS 58 also :smile: In need to get some good photos of those. TPG's can't grade these BTW

@DMWJR, You don't Feucht around, as you've been quite busy!

• Options

1837 Feuchtwanger Cent 6-I Variety Low-120 / HT-268

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am afraid I am well out gunned here. These are my only two pieces, both raw.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first 1864 I posted is the Eliasburg MS64
    The 1837 Eagle is SP50 from the QDB collection, one of two known

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file