Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mock My Words: Coin Collecting WILL be the most popular hobby by 2020!

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about it: Bit Coin is losing favor and regular coins are more popular than ever. As a hobby we are ripe for advancement and new collectors will be flocking to shows at at ever increasing pace set by the void of salty dogs from the passed.

Comments

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 2:38AM

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone should have a dream

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@afford said:
    FYI Bitcoin is moving on up, just saying.

Just think - one day your great grandchildren will marvel at your ownership of 1/1000 of a computer-solved mathematics equation.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything is possible.... The US Mint isn't helping with all the crap they are putting out these days. But hey, maybe the young folks will realize that and start collecting the old stuff again.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:
    I rarely mock, however, if you meant to use the phrase "Mark my words", I mock you now.

Yea, that makes more sense.

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

I wont mock you, but I disagree with this absolutely as you have it written. I just searched top 50 hobbies in world and in US and coin collecting was not on them. Now the things I found listed are not things I necessarily consider a hobby like watching TV and housework, but reading and going to movies are. So perhaps coin collecting would be in a top 10 list for things where you spend money and accumulate a product. Like TY beanie babies or those ceramic cats my mother in law has in a curio cabinet

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I think our hobby’s safe. Life is too short to worry about something that’ll never happen. Collecting coins has been around since there were coins to save. Thee oldest hobby in the world. Except for those who collect rocks :D
    Carry on and be happy, Joe

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 1:29PM

It can be spelled ether way.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the right conditions are converging, I'm thinking 5x growth by 2020!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

But how long are we going to have this cast of characters as the faces of our coinage? It's time for a clean sweep change of all denominations

Well put!!! Our coins are becoming novelty items of late, ever changing designs and finishes. You're so right, someone should press a reset button and start new Liberty designs....and yes, a new half dollar! And instead of these small dollars, a circulating coin dollar the size of a Morgan.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I typed Eisenhower dimes in what was clearly a cry for a big giant dollar coin.

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

in another 20 years the millenials who don't use cash now will outnumber us geezers.I see the transition to a cashless society.It's just about here now.I was in a hospital visiting a relative.All the vending machines DON'T take coin or bills ! Got to pay with your Credit Card or Apple pay.What are us old folks supposed to do.I don't own a Smart Phone.And I am not using a C.Card for a damn soda Now McD's and others have that system where you preorder by phone or and pay by phone.They use the credit card for everything.Eventually the Credit Cards will go bye bye also.Pay with Bitcoin ? Many have tossed their computers and use the phone for everything.Unless we get hit with a Solar flare or EMP and put us back to the 60's

photo index.gif

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    Too many decades of Lincoln cents, Washington quarters, Jefferson nickels and UGH Roosie dimes. We saw a glimpse of what change can do to invigorate collectors when the state quarters caused a litte surge in interest. But how long are we going to have this cast of characters as the faces of our coinage? It's time for a clean sweep change of all denominations to a Liberty design. Throw a new half dollar back into the mix. Maybe time it for 2021 and do a new take on the Peace lady. It would be a game changer. were approaching 110 years of lincoln cents. What's there to get excited about?

Yes, you look at series that go on for decades, as a collector, you say, "I can't complete that set." I've been a collector for over 55 years, and I've said that a number of times. That's why I became a type collector.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's MARK not mock.,,,,,mock,,,,,,,mock......MOCK

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think his selection of "Mock" was absolutely and purposefully deliberate.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collecting is a hobby of the past. Those of us that are left are dinosaurs. The kids want iphones, ipads and imaginary bitcoins, not real ones. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Rich49 said:
    in another 20 years the millenials who don't use cash now will outnumber us geezers.I see the transition to a cashless society.It's just about here now.I was in a hospital visiting a relative.All the vending machines DON'T take coin or bills ! Got to pay with your Credit Card or Apple pay.What are us old folks supposed to do.I don't own a Smart Phone.And I am not using a C.Card for a damn soda Now McD's and others have that system where you preorder by phone or and pay by phone.They use the credit card for everything.Eventually the Credit Cards will go bye bye also.Pay with Bitcoin ? Many have tossed their computers and use the phone for everything.Unless we get hit with a Solar flare or EMP and put us back to the 60's

I'm 21 and love paying with half dollars, dollars, and 2 dollar bills. I went to the bank once and got 20 2 dollar bills and paid for dinner with all of them. The waitress didn't know what to do. lol

• Options

I've heard YNs and others having luck at tag sales asking if they have any old coins, sometimes there are some in back "Aunt Harriet" will bring out.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I haven’t been collecting as long as most. But even in my 10 short years, I get the feeling that collecting is in a downward spiral. For that reason I only buy Bullion coins as close to spot as possible.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

And stamp collecting will be a close second. ;)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 7:13PM

@abcde12345
    What are the indicators for such prediction? Will it be more female collectors as well? I would like to see more younger attractive ladies in coin shows :)

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    And stamp collecting will be a close second. ;)

Game worn refractors coming in behind in 3rd.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

There is only one way to spell it.

I - T

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@dpoole said:
    I think his selection of "Mock" was absolutely and purposefully deliberate.

Um, yeah. Probably.

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

The very rare coins will do well by the coins the U.S. mint sells and the common material will trend downward. Its the way every other collectible I have been involved with has gone. Also U.S. gold coins that are higher grade and low pop will continue to be more difficult to find and will rise in price. I have noticed Heritage has fewer rare double eagles to sell that are not problem coins. Increasing the BP to 20% was a mistake and as the economy continues to get stronger the high end of the market will benefit. Don't know, care or give a damn about bitcoin.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Josh32 said:

@Rich49 said:

I'm 21 and love paying with half dollars, dollars, and 2 dollar bills. I went to the bank once and got 20 2 dollar bills and paid for dinner with all of them. The waitress didn't know what to do. lol

Only eccentric coin people handle stuff like two dollar bills. At my club's recent coin show I got ten of them as part payment for the table fees. The local bank has a machine that counts the currency you deposit. The teller had to remove those from the pile of bills and enter those manually. The machine can't recognize them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2018 4:57AM

@BillJones said:

@Josh32 said:

@Rich49 said:

Only eccentric coin people handle stuff like two dollar bills. At my club's recent coin show I got ten of them as part payment for the table fees. The local bank has a machine that counts the currency you deposit. The teller had to remove those from the pile of bills and enter those manually. The machine can't recognize them.

Many people don't think $2 bills are real; the local Mobil station called the cops on someone trying to spend them, and I have seen other instances of that in an online search. And a while back I was throwing something into a dumpster and I saw some $2 bills that had been thrown away there that I picked out.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@BlindedByEgo said:
    I rarely mock, however, if you meant to use the phrase "Mark my words", I mock you now.

Yea, that makes more sense.

On second thought, this is a very clever choice of words by abided65487. I get it now. As always, a good post from abue987. I like it.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not when there is a chance to pull a $60k Ohtani rookie card from a pack of Bowman baseball cards. Not a lot of new coins can offer a lottery ticket experience.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe the hobby is very strong. I believe the future is on the internet tho. If coins are strong on the net, then attendance at shows should be good.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

And classic commems are going to permanently skyrocket.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

Nope. But I think they say it like that in Boston. ;)

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭

As the coin collecting base grows increasingly older, won't "having to go to the bathroom" surge its way towards the top of the "top hobbies" list? :o;) #1 & #2 are already up to #5 on MY list!! :s

• Options

@abcde12345 said:

There is only one way to spell it.

I - T

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    I try to never Mock a Killing Bird.

CC

What about a Mocking Jay?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

....among numismatists.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

It's going from red hot to white hot! Coins are selling like hot cakes! We are having a Sale-A-Bration!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the bids start plusing on a weekly basis and bullion starts to move forget it.

Your blowing in the wind.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would believe it when Chinese stop making counterfeit coins and slab while boy/girl scout have coin collecting as a badge. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file