Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is the 1913 Liberty Nickel NOT a required specimen in the Liberty Nickel variety sets ???

WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2018 6:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Seeing that one is up for auction soon, I was curious and checked to see if it was a required specimen in Liberty Nickel variety sets just like the 1958 Doubled Die is required in the Cent Variety sets. To me if your going to require an obsencnly rare, coin in one variety set you should do it in any other set that has one. Just Saying....

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not a variety, they are calling it a proof. Here is the set it is included in

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/nickels/liberty-nickels-major-sets/liberty-nickels-1913-proof-1883/470

• Options

Ah yes - see that now and understand because its a proof, only we cent collectors have a variety set with proofs so we still get stuck with the 1958 DDO being required.

Thanks!!
    WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

The right person has not lobbied for it yet

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 12:28PM

This coin was not produced for circulation and was officially discontinued in December 1912.

[See Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 for details.]

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most collectors don't have an extra $5 or $6 million around to buy one. The NGC registry often leaves a space for such coins but does not award them any registry points.

At any rate coin is not an official issue. As Roger stated the series ended in December 1912.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of the registry, how does PCGS determine what varieties are in the registry sets and which are not?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@toyz4geo said:
    Kinda precludes many 100% complete sets, doesn't it

Almost ALL.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2018 5:40AM

Speaking of the registry, how does PCGS determine what varieties are in the registry sets and which are not?

Great question. It is suppose to be if its a listed VAM, or CPG or other series recognized list, its included. But here again, PCGS can make its own rules and add a variety they deem significant or delist it. Note again its always done without any prior notice - it just happens.

WS

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is not an official issue, I would conclude it would not be part of a set. Much like the '33 Saint and the '64D Peace dollar.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file