Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this 1850-O $20 Coronet Double Eagle

I picked this up today, and it has a couple of dark lines across the front. I'm afraid to try and remove it. Should I leave it as it is? Any thoughts on what this might grade as? I've never sent a coin to be graded, but I'm thinking this might be worth doing so. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 2:45PM

I like it. I wouldn't try to deal with the black mark, might mess it up. Leave it alone. Looks like nice skin on the coin. Very nice.

I think it would grade. Looks like about EF 45 to me. Nice looking original gold.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Her face looks like it's been buffed,
    to hide or take away a scratch or mark.

Can't tell for sure - can you post a close
    up of the cheek & neck area?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you are seeing is a discoloration inside a lamination. Some of these can be conserved to remove the black but the surface of the coin cannot be restored.

• Options

@JazzmanJAB said:
    I like it. I wouldn't try to deal with the black mark, might mess it up. Leave it alone. Looks like nice skin on the coin. Very nice.

I think it would grade. Looks like about EF 45 to me. Nice looking original gold.

There is nothing original about the coin EXCEPT the discolored planchet flaw. :)

• Options
    goldfixer21goldfixer21 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@JazzmanJAB said:

There is nothing original about the coin EXCEPT the discolored planchet flaw. :)

Are you saying it's counterfeit?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like ink. Acetone doesn't damage coins, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle on obvious cleaning, etc..

• Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Nice coin I would send it in. It’s about 168 years old and I like it. Plus it’s a O mint which is hard to find. Send it in like it is don’t screw it up.

Nice find

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 4:37PM

this coin is definitely messed with. i would just leave those marks. this is not one to grade, unless you are unsure of it's authenticity. i would just enjoy holding that one in hand. it's still a cool double eagle.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    It looks like ink. Acetone doesn't damage coins, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle on obvious cleaning, etc..

It IS NOT ink. Do you see the line on the surface where it is "ripped?" This type of mark is common.

@goldfixer21 asked: "Are you saying it's counterfeit?"

No. Expensive genuine circulated coin that has a planchet flaw.

• Options

I uploaded a close up shot of the cheek/neck, but it hasn't been approved yet

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont be so sure that its been messed with just because a couple forum experts seem to think so...buffed and polished opinion might be a result of your images.
    Not at all saying that I think one way or the other based on your pics.
    Planchet flaw keeps it from straight grade probably but who knows?

Thing is, its a first year O mint $20..
    a good PCGS opinion could take it from a $2000 coin to $4000 or better :)

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put down your blowtorch, take off your asbestos glove and send it in as a putative virgin. For this date/piece the authentification alone is worth the fee.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an 1850 NO $20 Lib, therefore unless you intend to hold on to it for a lengthy period of time, I would submit it to either PCGS or ATS. While I don't believe its chances of straight-grading are good, I've certainly seen worse in straight-graded holders. If it happens to straight grade, it could be worth north of $5K. If it doesn't (i.e., details/tooled grade), it would still be worth at least a couple grand. And I agree, that appears to be a lamination on the obverse. This is something that's not uncommon to find with early, branch mint coins.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it as is and send it in for grading by our host. JMHO !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in to our hosts 'as is'.... It is a nice old New Orleans coin and whatever the grade may be, a nice piece of gold coin history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

The black streaks are planchet impurity inclusions. If removed, they would leave voids in the surface.

But I think the coin still has a fairly good chance of grading EF, so long as there are no areas of parallel hairlines.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@asheland said:

Thanks!

• Options

I decided to send it to PCGS and have it graded. It received a XF45, which I am very pleased with. I sent 7 other gold coins in with it, and was very happy with the grades on all of them. This was my first time submitting coins to a grading service . I found myself checking 3 or 4 times a day to see if they were done!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great result

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file