Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts from coin collectors on recently-announced "final" plans for U.S. $5, $10, & $20 bills?

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2018 11:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Being as this is the coin forum and not the currency forum, I'll keep it short........

Just curious regarding what the general thoughts/consensus of coin collectors is to the announced "tweaks" in changes to our U.S. currency in the somewhat-not-too-distant future.

Among other things, public outcry has led to keeping Hamilton on the $10 obverse, and moving Harriett Tubman to the obverse of the $20, moving Jackson to its reverse.

Thoughts?

Link:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/20/news/10-bill-hamilton-20-tubman/index.html

(To meet the letter of the law, since the $5 obverse will retain Lincoln, and portraits of various people with a historical connection to it will be added around the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse............. post your favorite coin featuring either Lincoln or his Memorial).

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 12:12PM

Is the US the only country that has the same color for all their banknotes?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

So when are these changes taking place, since this article was written in 2016 and Tubman was taken off of the $20.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

...and the same size.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 12:27PM

The Education Series would be nice.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

Same colour and gender

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my "favorite", but a coin roll find, with Lincoln on it as the OP requested :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

The article is pre-Steve Mnuchin who has decided NOT to boot Jackson off the $20 obverse.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'm gonna be sick.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

My bad.... the news feed which took me to the link/article had an April 22, 2018 date on it, so I thought it was a new release, since my last understanding was that there was TALK of keeping Hamilton & booting Jackson, but that was just from citizens.

From the video, it seemed as if nothing would change until at least 2020 or later, if ever........

If these changes ever do come about, however, I just hope the results are not ugly as sin.....

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Bring back the Education Series!

+1

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP link is 2 years old. This did not happen (yet).

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada and Brasil use different attractive colors on its notes. The former has an important person from Canadian history on the obverse, with a scenic photo on the reverse, and bills are watermarked so they can be understood by blind people.
    Brasil has a Roman statue on the obverse, with the legend, in Portuguese, "God is supreme," and the reverse has an animal or fish native to Brasil.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific notes Pete

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@ajaan said:

...and the same size.

As I recall, there was a reason for this. US banknotes used engraved printing as a main security feature with intricate details, and THAT is what people were supposed to notice and scrutinize.

Contrast that with other countries' banknotes, where size and pretty color schemes are what is focused on. It is far easier to imitate those things.

Whether or not the US's approach was better, or whether or not it is still relevant today, is another question. We have obviously been adding some color to notes in recent years.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

If the government brought fractional currency, there'd be room for everyone. :D

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 2:44PM

If I wrote what I think of the CNN link, I'd get kicked off this forum because it is not coin related.

Edited to add something positive. The best thing about CNN is James Earl Jones saying "This is CNN".

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    The article is pre-Steve Mnuchin who has decided NOT to boot Jackson off the $20 obverse.

April 21, 2016: 12:38 AM ET - Article date

That's what I had read around six or so months ago.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we should drop the $1 & $2 from production, leave that to coins.
    Likewise, Drop the cent and maybe even the nickel, open up those slots for the dollar coins.
    Then put Washington on the $1,000 bill and you can put Tubman on the $500.
    There, problem solved! Next!...

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 5:00PM

@blitzdude said:
    Way too many old crusty white dudes on our currency. This is America, time to change it up to reflect the diversity of this great nation. It's ok, we are in the 21st century. lol

Had to pull out the race card, huh?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suggest you edit the thread title.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me, I must finish reading Charles Mackay's book, "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds".

• Options

Frankly, let other countries do whatever they want. American currency has a special place in the world and of course in our country as well.

Our currency ain't broke, let's not fix it. Consistency and recognizability can be a good thing, and in this case it is.

So just Leave the currency alone.

There are already various coins, stamps, and other ways to honor Harriet Tubman if we wish to do so.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Way too many old crusty white dudes on our currency. This is America, time to change it up to reflect the diversity of this great nation. It's ok, we are in the 21st century. lol

you have angered the volcanogod :o

@stevek said:

There are already various coins, stamps, and other ways to honor Harriet Tubman if we wish to do so.

you are forgetting the most important way , I'm referring to the book report I did on her in the 3rd grade obviously

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

you are forgetting the most important way , I'm referring to the book report I did on her in the 3rd grade obviously

I hope you got an A

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

I hope you got an A

more like a C- , i found out there were no trains on the underground railroad and pretty much mailed it in

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

I hope you got an A

more like a C- , i found out there were no trains on the underground railroad and pretty much mailed it in

Then whoever gave it that name, sure didn't know what they were talking about.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 6:58PM

Oops, wrong thread.

Carry on... :D

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@blitzdude said:

@stevek said:

I hope you got an A

Then whoever gave it that name, sure didn't know what they were talking about.

and it was not underground either

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

I found out there were no trains on the underground railroad and pretty much mailed it in

You mean they didn't take the subway north to freedom?

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 7:28PM

Is there anyway that we can give people that are sight impaired even the tiniest hint of what bill they are handling?!

I don’t care if Koko the gorilla is on a $10 note, as long as it’s difficult to counterfeit and has something for sight impaired people

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2018 7:33PM

We’ve had Andrew Jackson on a note for over 100 years. Time for someone else.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2018 7:32PM

@stevek said:
    Frankly, let other countries do whatever they want. American currency has a special place in the world and of course in our country as well.

Our currency ain't broke, let's not fix it. Consistency and recognizability can be a good thing, and in this case it is.

So just Leave the currency alone.

Maybe we can call some sort of truce with counterfeiters.. but yeah, not being able to recognize a bill if you’re blind is broke.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry but that is going to be one ugly bill if they use a mad looking pic, Don't they have any nice pitchers of her? If they are going to have her on it find a nice pic that will look nice not one that makes her look like she is mad at the world. I don't know we will see when it comes out....

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the idea of tubman being on the $20. she was a great supporter of the 2nd amendment.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Not a fan.

Also, we have lost our artistry such as the examples @PipestonePete has provided. I liked when our money didn't look like coupons.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have often thought of getting one of the Indian Five Dollar bills...Though not a currency collector, I really like that image. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I love those Education series, Indian Chief, and Black Eagle notes shared earlier, but figure that - - in these days of political correctness & unartistic offerings - - bare-breasted & scantily-clad women would not pass muster on any new bills............. :/

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

No, we need to watermark our currency so blind people can read it. It also makes counterfeiting the currency more difficult.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

The best way to play it safe is just to have industry, cattle or steamships on notes like they did with obsolete currency.

• Options

@Elcontador said:

@stevek said:

No, we need to watermark our currency so blind people can read it. It also makes counterfeiting the currency more difficult.

The OP thread and my comments pertained to the portraits on the bills, and keeping the general design.

There have already been strides in recent years made in printing the bills to thwart counterfeiters...and of course I'm in favor of that. If the currency can be effectively made so that the blind can feel it to read it...of course I'm in favor of that.

That being said, there's no need to change the portraits of these great Americans, just for the sake of changing the portraits to please a few folks out there, who in reality couldn't really care less anyway, they just enjoy complaining about something.

• Options

@Elcontador said:

@stevek said:

Whaaaat? Most of our currency does have watermarks. And I am not sure how that helps blind people. Maybe I am missing something.

I have seen some skillful counterfeits of US and foreign currency with pretty convincing watermarks that use white ink (or the color of the paper) to mimic the watermark, either by printing the watermark design in white, or printing a background in white, minus the lighter watermarked design. When the bill is held up to the light, the white/neutral ink reduces the light that passes through so as to create a watermark effect.

Not to say banknotes should not be watermarked, but it is not an absolute deterrent to counterfeiting.

This discussion has been closed.