Home Precious Metals
Options

Latest email from Moderncoinmart looks like spam to me

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else get an unsolicited "marketing" email from "Danaya@moderncoinmart.com" with the title "Huge MCM offer!"?

Here's the start of the email (it is much longer).....while it very well could be legit, if it is, then I shake my head at how MCM is now "reaching out" as this is the type of tactic that will completely turn me off on working with them. I get enough "spam" as it is.

It didn't go to my email address that I have used with MCM, directly, in the past, but rather, went to my most recent, last month, deal with them through ebay. I use different addresses depending on who I am dealing with and what I am doing (ie....friends get one, ebay gets one, direct emails with businesses get one, etc).

"Greetings,

I have been in the business for about a dozen years and I have seen a lot of coins. I have seen them all.

I believe that this release is so good that I am sending this to every single one of my customers.

The release I have today is a game changer for your collection. As a matter of fact our company, once again had to fight tooth and nail for this release with several other companies at the Berlin Money Fair back in February. This release was one of the fastest sellouts we had due to popularity and limited mintage. It has been bolstered by the best selling new bullion coin last year. But we all know this in coins, its all about the proofs. Everybody always asking when the proofs are coming. This release has a big write up in Coin News this year. Coin blogs are talking about where they can find it. It has what we want in a collectible coin.

This release has my highest level of recommendation. It is a release that fits all budgets. It has everything a collector wants, huge appeal, big following, huge collector momentum, a lot of collectors and tiny mintages. Best part is MCM preferred buyers are getting the best prices. I packed a lot of info in here and please read it all. It is important to read this whole thing. It is paramount. Plus I have a lot of work and research in this because I love this release so much. I cannot stress enough how good this release is.
"

So, legit email or not, it looks like a crappy spam email and whoever actually crafted it to send it out needs to learn marketing MUCH better.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like spam to me. Also she didn't reach out to every single customer of hers as I did not get this email, but I do get an email from them everyday so I find it hard to believe they missed me.
    Regarding their emails they are usually significantly better worded than this. After reading that email I don't even know what coin or piece of bullion they are selling you?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reads like govmint got ahold of MCMs email list

But it's from MCM ...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, well ---- they had to fight tooth & nail to get it. You'll be forever sorry if you don't buy a fistful of them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Reads like govmint got ahold of MCMs email list

But it's from MCM ...

Last time I heard is that they own MCM

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh brother
    That copy is pure cheese

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this Wondercoin?

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

If ya gotta hype it, it ain't worth it. Good products sell themselves...

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    What is this Wondercoin?

Here's most of the rest......they really are sinking lower and lower....these reads like any of a dozen sleazoid internet scammers to me.

"Many of you last year purchased the Dutch Lion set last year. It was one of if not the hottest release last year. Very fast sellout. This year they are continuing the series with a new design for the city collection. Before I go any further let me explain quickly.

Description: cid:image004.jpg@01D3D638.11B762A0New 2018 Design please see below for details

For those who are not familiar with the Dutch Lion Dollar: This coin circulated in the American Colonies long before and after 1776!! The Dutch Lion Dollar or “Daalder” was circulated from the 16th to 18th centuries in the American Colonies and around the world. Due to its important history in early America, the original Lion Dollar is the second coin type listed in the 2018 Red Book under Colonial Coins and is an important part of United States History. This is one of the first legal currencies of the United States and actually documented in a report by the Second Continental Congress of the United States as a legal tender coin in the United States! The Second Continental Congress included the forefathers Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, John Hancock and Alexander Hamilton.

Originally struck at the end of the 16th century, at the same time the Royal Dutch Mint was founded in 1567, this marked a new era for the Dutch Republic, now the Kingdom of the Netherlands. This coin was used by traders worldwide, its use was highly respected and the beginning of what was to become one of the most iconic coins ever. The Dutch colony “New Amsterdam”, as New York was known at that time, traded using the Lion “Daalders” as the silver standard for world trade. Thus another nickname for this coin was the New York Lion Dollar. This was also the direct origin of the U.S. Dollar denomination.

This coin is based on one of the world’s most well-known and trusted trade coins of the late 16th century, the famed lion dollar (leeuwendaalder). The original was first minted by the Province of Holland in 1575 as a means of increasing trade between their many trading ports and outposts from Asia to the Americas, from Africa to Australia, and everywhere in between.

The lion daalder also greatly influenced the American silver coinage, especially the name of the new country’s currency, the dollar, which was first minted in 1794.

Here is the second Lion Dollar……

This second modern lion dollar restrike's reverse pays tribute to the province of Zeeland with a distinctive design of waves of water, which is symbolic of the struggle against the rising tides of water in this province. The obverse is based on an original Leeuwendaalder design from 1597, which depicts a standing anonymous knight. In front of his legs rests a shield representing the province of Zeeland. The shield bears a lion in what is known as the rampant position, and underneath are waves which represent water. Within two circles of beadwork around the rim is the legend MO NO ARG ORDIN ZEL, which translates to ”New Silver Coin of the Standard of Zeeland.” The reverse shows the same heraldic lion with waves depicted underneath magnified, and two circles of beadwork with the motto of the Province of Zeeland DOMINE SERVA NOS PERMIUS (“Lord, save us that we do not perish”).

Look at that history! I love coins with a great story and history tied to it, and this has it all. Lets not forget very low mintages and great prices to collect these at. Best part is NOBODY else has access to the PF70 Golds and 2 ounce Silvers but you! Preferred buyers only: These will not be available on our Website or EBAY. See below for pricing.

All coins will be certified NGC PF70UC and come in their own boxes. They will have the exclusive Berlin Money Fair Release Label. Also the Silver sets will include a map of where the Dutch Lion Dollars were traded all over the world. The sets that include a Gold coin will include a limited edition Gold Foil Map.

COINS ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIVIDUALS. Please call me for details. My contact info 1-888-776-7812 ext.6498 or reply to this email.
    "

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a load of horse crap. Anybody got a garden?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be very wary of that email. Pretty sure it did not originate from MCM.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

No flexpay offer?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

not much chance of me buying any of the garbage they have been pitching lately. Unless they are going to reduce the price to spot +1 or so

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ron, I would say you nailed it .... SPAM!! No doubt in my mind... unless they just hired a former used car salesman and have not retrained the person.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

some of these foreign and exotic coins mcm is selling now I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot poll. just a bunch of junk

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

MCM generally charges a bunch more for stuff. Been awhile since I've been able to justify buying from them.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

the word, "individuals" seals the spam deal for me

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

The previous owner of MCM didn't have to resort to such desperation. All it took was good service.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The previous owner of MCM didn't have to resort to such desperation. All it took was good service.

Did John Maben sell? He was a member here, that would stink if he did.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 8:38PM

At one time, I was actually tempted to buy ONE of those Dutch Lion restrikes - but not a proof and not at any significant premium.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

JM sold a while ago. Years.

Govmint has them. The culture was unofficially promised to stay, so the story goes.