Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any eBay coin sellers going to try to keep top rated seller status?

davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 30 day free return policy is something easily abused. Free approval service will be free metal speculation, and probably already is free upgrade service on raw coins....

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2018 7:06PM

For the 10% discount, they truly ask a lot of the remaining sellers.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure I'm going to no returns with a statement returns accepted after 7 days in my description. I have been thinking long and hard about this. I have so few returns...I should just go with the flow.....BUT IT IS A MATTER OF PRINCILPE!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gone to a 20% restocking fee. Hate to do it but not for me otherwise.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I trade two million eyeballs for the ever-present threat of SNAD. I don't even worry about it any more. Que sera, sera.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m losing mine this month anyway. Haven’t even sold 100 items in the last 12 months. I don’t even get lowball offers anymore.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

They take mine (Top rated seller bennies) for months at a time, for the silliest things. I can hardly believe I'm still a shareholder. A little here, a little there.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had free 30 day returns for awhile now, and it doesn't seem to hurt business too bad.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I was told flat out by eBay the other day, that a buyer who opens "not as described", is going to be able to send anything back. Might as well just take things back and be done with it.

I had a not as described at Wednesday noon in south Florida, sent on Monday from NW Washington. I was thinking, dang that's fast. I checked tracking and last seen in Seattle Monday night. I told buyer sure I would take it back if you provide pics you have received it. They send fuzzy moon pics but it looks like they messed with it or different coin. They filed SNAD, so eBay started chargeback from PAYPAL, which puts my balance with them negative, I'm thinking wow, not only free approval service, now eBay has become free upgrade service. Tracking reappears Wednesday midnight Miami, delivered Thursday. Buyer closes dispute saying, 'oops confused with other coin purchase'...

• Options

Well, ebay is putting the axe to that also. You will no longer be able to charge a restocking fee.

@AUandAG said:

bob

• Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

When Ebay started, the sellers would hold the buyers feedback hostage. I'm sure some of you remember those days. It was such a problem that now Ebay has swung the other way and the seller is the hostage.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay sure has evolved.... I remember the early days... it was actually fun. I do not sell on ebay, but reading the stories here, I will not be inclined to do so. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am keeping mine, no problems with returns.

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Not me. Done with the games. Returns have seen a big uptick since they started doing this and will continue to increase as buyers gain the attitude that everything on eBay is sold on approval. This is Ebay’s grand strategy to try and beat Amazon - force sellers to accept free returns. Next they will require same day shipping for top rated. Bet on it.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    For the 10% discount, they truly ask a lot of the remaining sellers.

...and it's actually only 10% of 10%, so a 1% discount!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    The 30 day free return policy is something easily abused. Free approval service will be free metal speculation, and probably already is free upgrade service on raw coins....

The policy applies to bullion sales?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I let mine go . We lost power for 6 days in February from a storm and I was late on 4 shipments . Since they dropped the discount what is the point anyway? Serious question , the shipping discounts were reduced at some point and the supposed raised search standing was debatable . Even if they raised your standing they still bury you under 10,000 cheap chinese listings half the time

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@davewesen said:

Does not apply to items in the "bullion" category. If your "coin" has any precious metal in it, you can always list it in the bullion category. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    I let mine go . We lost power for 6 days in February from a storm and I was late on 4 shipments . Since they dropped the discount what is the point anyway? Serious question , the shipping discounts were reduced at some point and the supposed raised search standing was debatable . Even if they raised your standing they still bury you under 10,000 cheap chinese listings half the time

The enhanced shipping is still worth it to me. 4 ounce package - most single coins - is $2.66 vs. $3.50 at the post office. You also get a free $100 insurance on Priority compared to $50 without the enhancement.

And 10% of final value fees runs $75-$100 per month, so it does add up.

I still resent my "day" ending at midnight on the West Coast when I'm on the East Coast. It makes 1 day shipping difficult at times. But the returns issue is a non-factor. They can return now for free any time they want with a SNAD anyway. They can also issue a chargeback for up to 180 days on their credit cards now. People are just imagining new problems which aren't really there.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind the 30 day free returns, I've always done that. The killer for me was they changed from 90% to 95% shipping rate required by next day. I busted my buns to get orders out between around 90% to 92% for years. The 95% is impossible for me unless i devout my life to Ebay, which I do not intend to do.

So my seller fees went from a 20% discount to a 0% discount. It's like they're paddling me hard and I say, "Thank you sir, may i have another" as I keep selling on Ebay.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bronco2078 said:

The enhanced shipping is still worth it to me. 4 ounce package - most single coins - is $2.66 vs. $3.50 at the post office. You also get a free $100 insurance on Priority compared to $50 without the enhancement.

I still resent my "day" ending at midnight on the West Coast when I'm on the East Coast. It makes 1 day shipping difficult at times. But the returns issue is a non-factor. They can return now for free any time they want with a SNAD anyway. They can also issue a chargeback for up to 180 days on their credit cards now. People are just imagining new problems which aren't really there.

the reduced shipping i liked was overseas priority , the discounts were as much as 50% on some things . I only ship 2 or 3 things a month overseas now though so screw it

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got back a silver eagle proof today. it was in the ogp (original government packaging) ... It didn't meet buyer's expectations. One less customer in the future.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple years ago a USPS flat rate overnight printed through Ebay was $12. Now you are buying the plane.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2018 12:38PM

The shipping rates are the same regardless of whether you have a store, are top rated, or not. I have 2 accounts...one is top rated with the discounts and store subscription and the other is just a bare bones pay all the fees account. The shipping rates are the same for both accounts...and yes...$2.66 for up to 4 ounces and $100 insurance included on priority mail!

Edit to add the shipping rates are the same on paypal for everybody also!

@jmlanzaf said:

@bronco2078 said:

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering if I should keep selling there with all the returns I have had in the last year.
    Most of what I have left will go to Bullion listings soon I think.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to no returns with a statement returns accepted after 7 days in my description. I have been thinking long and hard about this. I have so few returns...I should just go with the flow.....BUT IT IS A MATTER OF PRINCILPE!

That's what I'm doing.

@amwldcoin said:
    Well, ebay is putting the axe to that also. You will no longer be able to charge a restocking fee.

@AUandAG said:

bob

The only thing I can think here is that if you say you offer no returns at all, but then specify in your listing a return can be had with a restocking fee, it might (might!) be legal. The way I read the policy would be clear only that if you offer a return through eBay (one of the 30 or 60 day options) you definitely cannot have a restocking fee.

@jmlanzaf said:

I hear you on the midnight bit... it's bad for me and I live on the west coast.

@jwitten said:
    I've had free 30 day returns for awhile now, and it doesn't seem to hurt business too bad.

My biggest fear is that the bad players will rise to the top. I've noticed an uptick in returns in general (often for stupid reasons--complaining about things clearly described in the listing--but that's a buyer's right) in recent years. Right now, I doubt anyone nefarious is scouring for a return policy they can take advantage of, and unreasonable SNADs do require someone to have a lacking conscience (maybe not hard to find, but I'd like to think some people won't abuse a return loophole if they're honest). When returns go to 30 days and free for everyone, anyone who wants to abuse it can do so easily and without having to search through nearly as many listings to find a good target. The SNAD aspect won't go away, but I do think this will open the door to more problem buyers if 30 days becomes the norm.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

You know, the 20% stocking fee might just keep some riff raff away. It will encourage buyers to read and view the auction more carefully. Perhaps even asking a question or two, although I've not seen that happen as of yet.

bob :)

• Options
    edited April 23, 2018 2:33PM

@amwldcoin said:
    The shipping rates are the same regardless of whether you have a store, are top rated, or not. I have 2 accounts...one is top rated with the discounts and store subscription and the other is just a bare bones pay all the fees account. The shipping rates are the same for both accounts...and yes...$2.66 for up to 4 ounces and $100 insurance included on priority mail!

@jmlanzaf said:

@bronco2078 said:

It's not true. The rate discount is the same for some packages. The insurance discount is not. Here is my not top-rated seller account with $99 insurance - notice, it isn't free. Down below, same service, the $99 is free and the Priority flat rate discount is different.

Please edit your comments to say I was right all along. :wink:

• Options

I guess you didn't comprehend my earlier reply to you. Ebay is not allowing a restocking fee when this change takes place. If you figure out a way to do it let me know!

@AUandAG said:
    You know, the 20% stocking fee might just keep some riff raff away. It will encourage buyers to read and view the auction more carefully. Perhaps even asking a question or two, although I've not seen that happen as of yet.

• Options

I wil confess I haven's shipped priority mail yet with my common man's account! :o

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bronco2078 said:

It's not true. The rate discount is the same. The insurance discount is not. Here is my not top-rated seller account with $99 insurance - notice, it isn't free.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care if I lose it... my return policy is not going to change.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

Good Luck!

@cmerlo1 said:

• Options

I GIVE UP.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

It already did change. eBay will make you take anything back going forward. I actually have found I get more returns with "no returns allowed" than I do when I allow them. I think the buyers who see no returns know that eBay will make you take it back and you also have to pay the shipping both ways, and they exploit that.

eBay then says, block them. Well they just use another account and then whack you with a negative. You have to take returns going forward, no way around it, even if you think you don't.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 2:27PM

@davewesen said:
    'oops confused with other coin purchase'...

had a few of these.

there are scammers, abusers and then people that simply make mistakes. i've made them shipping items and thankfully buyers were reasonable.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 2:35PM

@amwldcoin said:
    Good Luck!

@cmerlo1 said:

I accept returns, but my policy will remain at 14 days, buyer pays shipping.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have to use Ebay. I am a pharmacist and do my regular work mon-fri. I buy coins I think I can flip and make some money to buy others that I want to keep. I do it for some education and to make some spending money. I have no other avenue that I am aware of to get my coins in front of folks.

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@VanHalen said:

@davewesen said:

Does not apply to items in the "bullion" category. If your "coin" has any precious metal in it, you can always list it in the bullion category. ;)

And you can list it in bullion even if it's not bullion.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@cmerlo1 said:

It already did change. eBay will make you take anything back going forward. I actually have found I get more returns with "no returns allowed" than I do when I allow them. I think the buyers who see no returns know that eBay will make you take it back and you also have to pay the shipping both ways, and they exploit that.

eBay then says, block them. Well they just use another account and then whack you with a negative. You have to take returns going forward, no way around it, even if you think you don't.

+1

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Good Luck!

@cmerlo1 said:

I accept returns, but my policy will remain at 14 days, buyer pays shipping.

SNAD

• Options

@AUandAG said:

SNAD bypasses all of that. And, frankly, if 30 days or 60 days or 120 days have gone by, they can still file a credit card chargeback.

It is what it is, there's no use pretending that it is something else.

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I only average about 1 return per year so no big deal for me. The hardest part about trying to keep my top seller rating is getting the post office to scan the packages promptly. My local B/M told me he lost is TSR after having itfor 11 years because of USPS scanning delays.

Always trying to learn more
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Thor11 said:
    You folks that squeel about offering a return priv : almost anything you buy these days anytime , anywhere , is returnable .
    What makes you feel your the exception and are stuck with an approval service ? 98% of ALL big time dealers offer a return priv. ,

A return priv. makes a customer feel comfortable bidding on your coins - no return priv. means you are a risk buying from .

How many dealers offer a 30 day return with free shipping both ways? There's a big difference between sticking buyers with coins and being forced to offer and advertise a ludicrous return policy.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 10:03PM

30 days is excessive for TPG graded coins especially which is well over 90% of our eBay business. It's all on the seller with no buyer responsibility. Had so many requests to cancel within minutes to an hour after an auction closes. Oh made a mistake, though it was a 65, didn't mean to bid on this already have one etc. The uptick in cancellations and returns since December has been noticeable. Maybe we should publicize user names of those that cancel for no particular reason to those with unreasonable returns. I don't know. But the pendulum continues to swing further in the wrong direction with a balance of responsiblity between buyers and fairness among sellers.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options

@Thor11 said:
    You folks that squeel about offering a return priv : almost anything you buy these days anytime , anywhere , is returnable .
    What makes you feel your the exception and are stuck with an approval service ? 98% of ALL big time dealers offer a return priv. ,

A return priv. makes a customer feel comfortable bidding on your coins - no return priv. means you are a risk buying from .

Because most eBay auctions go for wholesale prices. Some dealers buy their stock from eBay auctions, and then they mark it up considerably. I have no problem with a return on fixed price (that I set) item, which is different than a high bidder beating out others and then saying I don't like it (I spent to much and can not get my margin wanted). The seller should just pay shipping both ways and auction it again?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file