Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pie Crimpers made with coins - An obsession

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Six years ago I posted the three pie crimpers I had that were made with coins. 2012 POST LINK Since then, I have added 15 more for a total of 18. Yes, it became an obsession. The 18 include: 11 Large Cents; 1 Indian Cent; 1 Two Cent piece; 1 Half Dollar; and 4 Foreign Coins.

Here is my most recent addition. A 1793-1796 Liberty Cap Large Cent.

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always thought that those were pretty neat. You have to like the use of coins 'out of necessity'.
    IIRC, Walmart didn't have pie crimpers back then.... ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that is quite a collection. The Penny Lady also has a few - or did have. You could make a great show display with that large a collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2018 5:29AM

@thebeav said:
    You have to like the use of coins 'out of necessity'.

They could've done without the pie.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool!

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Grandpa used to cut silver off a few "tackle box coins" when making his lures. He said nothing compared to the reflection they gave.

Nice pie cutters =) reminds me of the doorknob / faucet thing posted not long ago, and people using copper cents in their fuse boxes.

But these are for tasty treats nomnom.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome new edition. It has a great look to it. Liberty is still quite distinct!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will PCGS slab it even if it's holed?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 5 of them, all without handles, gears or crimpers. 1817,43,46,48, & 52.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think about pie crimpers every once in a while. Not that I own any but I have had the coin below for a number of years on my desk. The notches cut into it are more like something for a gear than a pie crimper so I just wonder why someone carved it. They did a decent job as the notches are fairly consistent so it did take some time.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isnt a pie just one big slice?

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace I’d love to see your half dollar crimper if you have a pic of it!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    @MWallace I’d love to see your half dollar crimper if you have a pic of it!

I'll be happy to show it. Thanks for asking. It is a very "crusty" (pun 'stolen from CaptHenway') 1914 Barber Half.

Very nice. It doesn't get much more "primitive" than that. Thanks for sharing!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the 2 Cent Piece crimper MWallace?

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stinking cool!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, "sweet" !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

The leather marker theory is very believable. The handle is much beefier and the teeth much sharper than the orhers.

• Options

@JBK said:
    The leather marker theory is very believable. The handle is much beefier and the teeth much sharper than the orhers.

Thanks Jeff. I have more of a tendency to believe it is a leather stitch marker rather than a pie crimper. I have googled stitch markers and this handmade piece matches nearly perfectly even with modern ones. In my searches I have found no pie crimpers with sharp points as on this piece. I think I need to change the description of it in my collection. Still a cool piece to me. Would still like to hear what others think.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a nice 'obsession' to have. :smile:
    May I inquire as to how/where you find them? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I love the idea of collecting coins made into other things, especially old ones. I think somewhere I have a large cent that was made into a gear, but the next time I come across it I may well recognize that it is the wheel from a pie crimper.

I tend to stay away from coins made into jewelry with the exception of WWII Dutch coins with the Queens portrait accentuated or cut our, as these were surreptitious statements against the Nazi occupiers.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

I could tell you where I find them, but then I'm afraid I'd have to kill you. :)

• Options

@JBK said:
    I love the idea of collecting coins made into other things, especially old ones. I think somewhere I have a large cent that was made into a gear, but the next time I come across it I may well recognize that it is the wheel from a pie crimper.

I tend to stay away from coins made into jewelry with the exception of WWII Dutch coins with the Queens portrait accentuated or cut our, as these were surreptitious statements against the Nazi occupiers.

I like collecting coins made into other things. I have a box of things that I have labeled "Re-purposed Coins". More times than not re-purposed coins can be gotten cheap. Many consider them damaged and fail to see their history.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Showed my wife this thread. She does crafting, and she says that the pointy one looks like a tool she has for poking holes in paper that is then embroidered. However, based upon the age of the tool, your leather stitching is a good guess.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@MWallace said:

@1630Boston said:

I could tell you where I find them, but then I'm afraid I'd have to kill you. :)

Will you at least bake us a pie as our last meal? :D

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you need to make 18 pies and show off the crusts with each laying on top!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've asked a contact at SI about the latter one.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@Raybo said:

Here's the Two Cent piece. It may actually be a Leather Stitch Marker. It would be rolled across a piece of leather putting a small indentation to mark where each stitch would go, keeping them uniform and even. I would like to know what others think.

I think whoever made it would have been in for a disappointment when finding out that the spacing of the teeth they cut on the coin weren't very uniform.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in Lost Angeles.

After the collapse of the Peso, well, at least one of the collapses, the large, bigger than a quarter, 1 peso coin showed up everywhere in automotive body work as fillers for rust holes. They would be behind the hole, and then brazed from the outside. Sometimes they were in strings, tacked together on the edges, backing up coverage on a large hole.

They, along with other coins from Mexico, were also common a washers or shims.

The peso was going down so fast, it was tough to watch it. We were on a short trip to Mexico, and the exchange rate went from about 20 to 1 to 45 to 1 in days. Of course, everything is haggle prices, but quickly, the marked price was cheaper than what I would have haggled to. Plus, the people were desperate for US bills as their "money" was collapsing.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@MWallace said:

@Raybo said:

Here's the Two Cent piece. It may actually be a Leather Stitch Marker. It would be rolled across a piece of leather putting a small indentation to mark where each stitch would go, keeping them uniform and even. I would like to know what others think.

I think whoever made it would have been in for a disappointment when finding out that the spacing of the teeth they cut on the coin weren't very uniform.

Check out the third definition here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartenberg_wheel

Put a piece of paper under a printed piece of cloth and roll the wheel over the pattern, copying the pattern into the paper below.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

Check out the third definition here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartenberg_wheel

Put a piece of paper under a printed piece of cloth and roll the wheel over the pattern, copying the pattern into the paper below.

Most definitely another possibility.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2018 5:16PM

Very very cool pie/pastry cutters/crimpers MWallace! The leather punch is especially interesting - I haven't seen any with such sharp edges, nor heard about them being used as leather punches, but that makes sense. But so does the explanation about using it to make a pattern for sewing or other crafts.

Yes, Ricko is right in that I have several of these too but since I collect things made out of or using pennies, mine are all pennies. I have many fancy rimmed and holed pennies without the handles which either lost their handle or were used for buttons, gears, and even toys. Here are the ones I have with handles.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they might have been used to cut out the dough for the bottom or top crust, but I thought the crimping is usually done by hand. They are definitely very cool and unusual pieces.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were more likely used quite a bit for cutting pastry and pasta dough.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone say pie?

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    In Pie We Crust

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

MMMMMM...........Coin Pie

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Wow! 18 pie crimpers made of coins... that’s a great collection indeed, it’s fascinating to know about this unique usage of coins... Cheers!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome thread! Unique and informative topic. The utility and beauty of these crimpers has great eye and historic appeal. Thank you for sharing! :)

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Love it! Great pictures of some very cool history.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's an old thread of someone with one made from a seated quarter. I'll have to look for it. No wonder why I can't find one, you have them all! :/

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I had another one somewhere - George II was around 1727-1760. No way to know if this was made "in the colonies", but here it is:

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo said:
    I think about pie crimpers every once in a while. Not that I own any but I have had the coin below for a number of years on my desk. The notches cut into it are more like something for a gear than a pie crimper so I just wonder why someone carved it. They did a decent job as the notches are fairly consistent so it did take some time.

K

Stacker coins? :)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 9:11PM

@ms70 said:

@thebeav said:
    You have to like the use of coins 'out of necessity'.

They could've done without the pie.

Blasphemy!...theres always room for pie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file