Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How rare are the 2013 Obama Inaugural medals?

Is there a source for the value of the medals? I can see that the bronze medal has been offered on Ebay, but there aren't any sales for the silver medal.

I know that the original price for the silver medal was $1200. There couldn't have been that many sales at that price. How would one estimate the current fair market value?

Is there a source for the actual mintage numbers? I wonder what the mintage was for the silver medal?

How many of you out there collect inaugural medals?

My collection currently starts with Eisenhower and ends with Obama. My aim is to collect the bronze and silver medals of each of these more modern presidents.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018 10:49PM

Medalcraft may be able to help you with mintage information.

https://www.medalcraft.com/product-category/medalsandcoins/

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its there request a quote and you will get your answer

https://www.medalcraft.com/product/inaugural-medallion/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice link @Coinstartled.

Here's a ncie quote from that page:

Medalcraft Mint is honored to have been selected to mint the official inaugural medallion for Presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Donald J. Trump.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assume about a $100 premium over bullion. The silver are scarcer than the bronze by a lot, but these inevitably end up in weak hands and supply outstrips demand. The initial sales are not primarily to medal collectors resulting in all kinds of "fans" buying them assuming they have a rare collectible. When they eventually hit the secondary market, there are more sellers than buyers.

Oddly, Obama is probably worth more than Eisenhower or Kennedy at the moment because the secondary market hasn't been saturated yet. But, don't expect the price to increase over time. The premium will erode over time.

In my humble - been burned before - experience.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have also been what I would call unwarranted high prices for Obama campaign buttons. Some of these pieces are "created rarities" where the production is said to be five to twenty pieces. Prices have reached a few hundred dollars. Remember that items are privately produced, and reported production could be higher. I would exercise caution when purchasing these collectibles.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area of interest, though the recently shown Presidential Challenge coin is impressive. Cheers, RickO

• Options

There have been a couple of 2009 Obama silver medals sold on Ebay for around $400. Wouldn't the 2013 Obama silver medal rate a higher valuation as it is probably scarcer?

But, I guess that the collector base just isn't there for there to be any great amount of interest for the Obama inaugural medals.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Not my area of interest, though the recently shown Presidential Challenge coin is impressive. Cheers, RickO

Not a coin. Campaign button :s:/

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brokecollector said:
    There have been a couple of 2009 Obama silver medals sold on Ebay for around $400. Wouldn't the 2013 Obama silver medal rate a higher valuation as it is probably scarcer?

In theory value should work that way but it may not apply here. The buyers may or may not care what date it is. Not sure. The market is much thinner for inaugural medals than for coins.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Levine in Clifton, VA can provide whatever information you want on inaugural medals.

I recall that all of the modern medals sell for little more than bullion or novelty prices. The market is better in Europe.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes having a unfilled hole is more satisfying than filling it. Looks like two in a row....maybe this is the end of them?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

The one that sold for $496 was the 2009 medal.

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Those were the 2009 medals not the 2013

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best guess is that NO 2013 Obama-Biden Inagural SILVER medal will trade at just $100 over melt, unless it is damaged or unless the seller is very unknowledgeable. It's too scarce and the second inauguration medal tradition of also portraying the Vice President serving a second term along with the President makes the thing a bit more desirable to the cognoscenti.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Usually political items like this are purchased right after an election when demand is high, then interest dwindles and so do the prices.

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    By what, young know it alls? LOL!!!

Age does not equate to wisdom.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@You said:
    Boy, after reading this thread I cannot wait for the conservative older generation of numismatists to fade out and be replaced.

nevermind

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why the Obama Inaugural Committee set the issue price so high on the silver medals? Normally the gold pieces are set at high levels, and the silver and bronze pieces were more reasonable.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Boy, after reading this thread I cannot wait for the conservative older generation of numismatists to fade out and be replaced.

The political turn of the thread was ominous enough (even if somewhat amusing at times), but I can only assume that "fade out" means "die", and it is disturbing that someone wishes death on fellow numismatists and forum members, all over a difference in political opinion.

If that is the way the up and coming generations think then we are done as a Nation and all those who sacrificed their lives defending it died in vain. Our enemies did that sort of thing to their own people and now there are people here urging the same thing.

Very well said!

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

The political turn of the thread was ominous enough (even if somewhat amusing at times), but I can only assume that "fade out" means "die", and it is disturbing that someone wishes death on fellow numismatists and forum members, all over a difference in political opinion.

If that is the way the up and coming generations think then we are done as a Nation and all those who sacrificed their lives defending it died in vain. Our enemies did that sort of thing to their own people and now there are people here urging the same thing.

Oh Puh-f'ing-lease! "Fade Out" can really only be understood to die naturally, of/in old age. Nothing in there is wishing death upon others in any meaningful way and we all know it!

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

He didn't say that the person was saying death in an un-natural way. He was just saying exactly what the person meant... he can't wait for old conservatives to die off. Pretty pathetic if you ask me, and I am in my younger 30's.

Got it. I'd say more but I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.

(And the only thing I see wrong is that there are way too many young people who are racist, sexist, classist, and the like to expect the lifetimes to make things better.)

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll vote for inclusiveness and not dividedness; draw your own conclusions if you like.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@You said:

I believe that backwards way of thinking is exactly why Democrats won the election. Because Conservative opinion is "an older generation" "fading out" ... Right?

Your intolerance of opinions in an online forum clearly shows your level of maturity. Grow up.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options

Arriving a little late to the party, but have some answers. Medalcraft made 3025 bronze and 44 silver of this medal.

I published a price guide and book on inaugural medals recently and was in touch with Medalcraft. The book is up on Amazon and at Lori Ferber Presidential Collectibles, if interested in more information (“official inaugural medals: a guide”)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slowtrain400 said:
    Arriving a little late to the party, but have some answers. Medalcraft made 3025 bronze and 44 silver of this medal.

I published a price guide and book on inaugural medals recently and was in touch with Medalcraft. The book is up on Amazon and at Lori Ferber Presidential Collectibles, if interested in more information (“official inaugural medals: a guide”)

How about the bronze Biden medals? Only the silver is still available on his website.

Any idea on numbers for the Ohio Trump medal?

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm actually very surprised at how most of the harshest opinions ignored that Mitch McConnel has spent the latter part of his career literally being the face of obstructionism to as many helpful things as possible for the entire country for much more than just the last 8 years...
    It seems his favorite hobby is disliking human beings...all presidents aside.
    If I were a betting person...Mitch is one of the least likely in history to end up on a medal.

I say that most especially as someone who has truly an exceptional number of cultures, creeds, beliefs, orientations, etc...represented in my immediate families in both America and other countries.

Keeping it about numismatics though...the Obama portrait is one of the more accurate ones I've seen...especially when compared to some of the absolutely hilarious portraits on the Presidential dollars series :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

This discussion has been closed.