Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don't know very much

I'm new to the group, been collecting random coins for quite a while but really don't k ow a lot about values. I know the basics and want to learn more. As so I don't drive the group crazy posting pix and asking values, where is the best online resource for giving me coin values where I can look up by date, mint, denomination and get quick accurate answers about value. This is my first question and wondering is this an ok place to do that or no?

Comments

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 10:11PM

@Mamievdavis
    Welcome! I am fairly new here and continue learning from forum's members. Glance thru eBay listing to get some idea of pricing and value, make sure you filter your search for easy comparison. Have fun and try not to get too emotionally attach to any coin to start with ;)

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 10:17PM

numismedia.com

It lists them all and should give an idea of value.

pcgs is for graded coins by them.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giantsfan20 said:
    numismedia.com

It lists them all and should give an idea of value.

pcgs is for graded coins by them.

Definitely check it out.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 11:10PM

Posting pix? What could possibly go wrong with that?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @Coinstartled said.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! A Redbook will give a general idea of values. It’s not perfect, but it’s generally on the ballpark. It will certainly help you identify valuable key dates. As with all collectibles, condition is everything and learning how to grade takes a while (a lifetime really).

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 6:15AM

There are a lot of folks here that think they are coin experts. And I have found "some" are. Good luck!

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

Heritage archives are a good online source for pricing that has not already been mentioned.

The "redbook" is a good and inexpensive source for pricing and information, if you wanted something in book form.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mamievdavis...Welcome aboard.... I would recommend the Redbook as a good investment... also, the links posted above are excellent as well.... Feel free to ask questions, numismatics is a continuous learning hobby.... none of us 'know it all'...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 7:39AM

PCGS Coin Facts, Online Price Guide published by CDN, Coin World, NN, Online price list L&C Coins. I also take NN as I love their dollar market price guide plus they have L&C adds I use as pricing reference. The NN coin market analyst has an excellent weekly unbiased column and tells it like it is.

In researching a Newp or purchase I refer to all of above. Once the coin arrives I attach an easily removable sticker with the cost and sell (MV) code on the back of the slab. Coins are listed in my online store. At a show if they don’t ask a price it tells me the people walking in the door don’t have any money. Sometimes these shows become buying shows. With the CDN app at a show I have Bluesheet, greysheet, and CPG (their MV priceguide) in my phone at my fingertips.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 12:42PM

@Hydrant said:
    Posting pix? What could possibly go wrong with that?

Now now...................everyone deserves a chance (but I do get it)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you want the Internet? I'd buy a Red Book and study that. While the prices are not current, they relative, and there is a lot of historical and mintage information in there that might increase you interest in the hobby beyond prices.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file