Home U.S. Coin Forum

I love Morgan Dollars

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope that the GSA discovers another 100,000 bags.

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I <3 my 1891 CC Morgan

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked Morgans... big U.S. silver coin.... feels great in the hand.... Many collectors do not care for them since they are plentiful.... However, I have liked them since I was a young paperboy.... and have some since that time...Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can take them or leave them, but they have long been cash cows for dealers. You could always get any date in the set for a price unlike some coins that are close to impossible when the Red Book makes them look like "a piece of cake."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold my Morgan dollars to buy a kayak to fish in the ocean. I love my kayaks.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 8:07AM

Morgans are my favorites but I wouldn't want the government to find another 100,000 bags. The graysheet would be nothing but minus signs for years. I'm a collector but I wouldn't want to see my investment go down the tubes with a flood into the market.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of us remember having those big Morgans in our pockets (purses) and a place for them in the register at check out. I could buy 4 packs of Marlboros when I was a kid with just one Morgan dollar. Sure was easier to carry than a pocket full of smalls.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited April 7, 2018 8:09AM

I can remember being able to go the the bank and get silver dollars for paper dollar bills, one for one. However I don't remember if they were Morgans or Peace dollars. I don't recall getting any in change but I do remember getting Liberty and Franklin halfs, Buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes in change all the time in the late 50's and early 60's.

edited April 7, 2018 8:26AM

Reminds me of the old question of how many Morgans are still out there. So there was something like ~655 million Morgan dollars minted. We all know about the "meltdowns" but how many remain now. Over the years I've seen estimates ranging from 5 to 50%. I tend to think it's closer to 5% since that would still be well over 30 million.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file