Home Precious Metals
Options

Stolen/ lost items . Reward offered. I could really use some help please

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 11, 2018 2:48PM in Precious Metals

The following items were stolen or lost while in the possession of the Untied States Postal Service. I believe while in California. Either Studio City or Van Nuys. I’m hoping someone will be kind enough to post this to the allengelhard and Bullion Stacker boards. I’m not a member of either. I will be filing a police report tomorrow as well as to the Numismatic Crime Unit. I will also be visiting the Post Office tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Besides the monetary loss it’s the uniqueness of the items I don’t want to see reduced to melt. Some are down right rare.

This was shipped last Thursday Priority Overnight and just arrived today. Eight days. I’m pretty sure the theft happened in California and showed up damaged in Memphis several days later. I have all the tracking. Someone added weights to the package with a few of the original items. The rest was stolen or is missing at a Post Office facility.

The buyer opened this in front of his Post Office. I’m in Mexico now and don’t want to lose anytime so I’m posting here. Could use all the help I can get. $1000 reward to someone who can help me catch this person/persons. Please don’t tell me what I should Have done differently. I feel awful as it is. Please be kind enough to help in the present. I truly appreciate it friends. I’ll take any advise on how to move forward in tackling this or what I might expect. Maybe a checklist on how to proceed. I ’m in uncharted waters. Phone numbers and emails would help greatly. I’m also out of the country at the moment. Mark

List of items stolen:

Engelhard 5 oz items with serial numbers

C220622
2 without serial numbers

Engelhard 10 oz items with serial numbers

P423125
P288824
P025789
P065788
PO96323
C112511
P116211
P427344
P427407
P215620
P211824

2 JMC 3 oz silver bars

1 Engelhard 3 oz silver bar serial number 39834

I JM 14.1 oz silver bar 79669

1 Engelhard 1969 4 piece Hallmark100 gram set. In case with booklet.

Engelhard 2 oz gold bar

Hoffman and Hoffman 5.21silver bar

JM 100 gram bars with serial numbers

Canada 002078
Canada 001525

JM 100 gram bars with no serial numbers

Garantito
Silver Jubilee
Sweitzerisher Bank
J&M

Here a compilation of what was stolen:

The 5 oz gold bar was not part of this shipment

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options

Thank you! Very helpful

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

Please tell me it was registered mail which covered the value????

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

That's horrible. The picture of the re-taped box looks extremely shoddy.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Anytime a box is damaged by the post office they will wrap it and put some sort of note that it was damaged.......
    Looks like it was sent express vs registered too by the looks of the tape?
    Inside job?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2018 6:44PM

It was sent Priority Overnight Insured. Yes I would do it differently next time.

mark

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

I wanna puke.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

This makes me so angry. I'll keep my eyes out.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:
    This makes me so angry. I'll keep my eyes out.

Me too and it takes a lot to do that. I haven’t been sleeping or eating well. It’s more then the money

m

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

I am not in an area to be able to help but I would lime to make a comment or two...
    A) the use of weights will give almost 100% assurance this is most likely not the offenders first time
    B) the fact that the box was damaged while in USPS possession evidenced by the use of the express mail tape will help the postmaster/police look for pattern of theft/complaints
    C) i would venture this person has a place he is fencing it; a person who he has done business with before who will not blink at getting this much material at once
    D) If you are not due back from Mexico soon please please have a lawyer or someone go file the claim for you and start notifying ALL shops/pawn shops etc.
    E) setup a google alert of Engelhard bars for sale or something like that so new listings on instagram, redditt, and weird outlets like that are covered and the alert reports back to you
    F) Try to talk to each manager at each of the post branches you mentioned and tell them how you have escalated the case and plan to pursue it to the fullest extent... hopefully that will trickle down and strike fear

I just read where a postperson was arrested or something but they found 900 lbs of undelivered mail in his house or something... INSANITY.

Good luck man

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Keep getting the word and pictures out to anyone and everyone.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=149

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options

Thank you all. It’s truly appreciated

I’ll get at the police station in the morning and the post office ever. I’m like a Wolverine

mark

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, I will certainly keep an eye out for those serial numbers on eBay. I have a pit in my stomach after reading about this.

• Options

Do you trust the buyer? I mean, how many folks actually take a picture of a box of coins before they open them?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeF said:
    Do you trust the buyer? I mean, how many folks actually take a picture of a box of coins before they open them?

When it looks like that and they know what's supposed to be in it they do.

• Options

@MikeF said:

100% trust. We have been looking for the package together for 8 days. It’s not even questionable due to the series of events plus the character of the individual. The contents were monkied with days before. That is certain

m

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:
    I wanna puke.

Me too. I hate this crap. Will keep an eye out Mark.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks. That is a lot of metal to ship for 1 box.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

How horrific! I hope you recover those important pieces soon. Damn!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good of you to document what was shipped beforehand though Mark.

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to see this happened Mark. Sick feeling I can only imagine. I'll keep my eyes open for these serial numbers as well.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

So sickening. Hope they catch whoever did this and put them in jail for a very very long time!

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Oh my Lord. I will be keeping an eye out for these items as they are alot of rare bars which DNT pop up often. I am so so sorry to hear this Mark and whomever bought them.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 7:17AM

I've contacted the founder of AE as well as many others within the community via email. I also know the buyer well. Hopefully there will be some favorable resolve to this. I asked if AE could put out a statement about it and told many others to keep an eye out. Being that many have serial numbers and/or unique characteristics, maybe some can be recovered. Please keep us informed and know that many are helping in some fashion.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

Mark,

My deepest regrets on what happened, sick to my stomach thinking about it.

I'll get a newsletter alert out today to our 800+ subscribers. Rich, thx for the heads up on this bud.

Chris

“Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to see this thread! :s

• Options

Man I was hoping you guys would get the word out and you did not disappoint. I thank you SO much. You are the best. Doug Davis is on this as well.

mark

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@piecesofme said:
    I've contacted the founder of AE as well as many others within the community via email. I also know the buyer well. Hopefully there will be some favorable resolve to this. I asked if AE could put out a statement about it and told many others to keep an eye out. Being that many have serial numbers and/or unique characteristics, maybe some can be recovered. Please keep us informed and know that many are helping in some fashion.

would be nice if AE had a page that listed stolen bars by S/N. Only problem with such a page is that if listed items are not appropriately removed it could cause problems for future sellers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, have you tried contacting your State Rep? While he may not be able to recover your items, I’m willing to bet he has a few contacts within the USPS in his rolodex that could get the ball rolling faster. Have him shake their tree a bit. It worked for me when dealing with an uncooperative registry of motor vehicles.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt the stuff will make it to the Midwest, but will keep an eye out for any bars coming through in the future, with this as a reference. Sorry to read, sad to realize, and infuriated to no end.

• Options

FYI

Here is the case# and contact numbers if you get any bites. Much love to the board.

Mark

USPS Inspector case# CA137546212
    877-876-2455

and

Doug Davis
    (Chief of Police Ret.)
    Founder/President
    Numismatic Crime Information Center
    817-723-7231
    www.numismaticcrimes.org

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I've sent emails and posted across all my thousands of friends and followers on a platforms of social media. We are bound to get the scumbags and hopefully ALL of the bars to the rightful owner. This has sickened me to my core and the USPS Should have measures to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Thanks again all! Amazing

m

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad that the right people are getting involved and that the scumbag gets nailed. Good luck, Mark.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ballasts should be swabbed for trace dna. Other items especially the tape and plastic bags have dna. Dna from unknown suspects that is submitted for analysis is compared to all known samples continuously until it hits on a match. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Getting this back to the top of the page.
    Sorry for this happening. This inhales vigorously big time.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any resolution on this Mark?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

will keep an open eye and report it if seen in the mean time i hope the person gets it all back.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very sad, I hope your able to get this resolved.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any updates on this terrible story justacommeman?