Home Sports Talk
Options

Tiger buries Sergio and Phil and prepares to mount a stunning weekend surge to Masters victory!!!

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 6, 2018 5:27PM in Sports Talk

69-78-xx-xx.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018 2:59PM

69-70-71-68

I hope that he makes the cut as twice as many watch when he does

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any other past of current professional golfers that have had a career path similar to Tiger Woods?

Specifically golfers who turned pro at an early age and quickly became one of the best, if not the best golfers around; only to have something happen during the middle of their career (i.e. back or leg injuries; substance abuse; divorce; public disclosure of personal troubles, etc.); having to stay out of the game for years due to injury/surgeries; making comeback attempts that fail; seeing their performance on the course go in the tank; and finally getting back to a position where they can compete for championships again.

If there are any such past or current professional golfers, who are they; and have they been followed by the sports media, general media, golf fans and general public to the extent that Tiger Woods has?

If Tiger Woods can once again perform at a level where he is winning championships again; and if he can maintain his physical and mental health for the next 10-15 years he could finish his pro career as the unquestioned best golfer of all time.

• Options

If my aunt had balls...

• Options

Golf balls, of course!

• Options

Fred Couples is perhaps the closest to aligning with that career path, but no where near as extreme as Tiger good or bad. John Daly up until the 'and finally getting back to a position where they can compete for championships again.'

I don't think Tiger will ever be the unquestioned best golfer since I don't think he realistically has a chance at breaking Nicklaus' major record. #1 in PGA tour wins and #2 in major wins would make a strong case at least.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woods will never be the golfer that Jack was! In any way!

• Options

And no one will ever be the golfer Woods was in his day. 14 majors in such a short amount of time.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I'll take Jack any day.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2018 5:25PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'll take Jack any day.

The thread was what will Tiger shoot in the Masters not Dimeman’s personal opinion of who was the greatest golfer.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    And no one will ever be the golfer Woods was in his day. 14 majors in such a short amount of time.

mark

Agree. His winning percentage was staggering.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Agree. His winning percentage was staggering.

Indeed but man did his life go off the rails. The camera still loves him like no other

m

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

69-69-71-67

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

69-78-xx-xx.

if this happens i'll send stevek a 52T Mick dime

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

68-70-67-67

Old golfers never die they just
    lose there balls.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'll take Jack any day.

The thread was what will Tiger shoot in the Masters not Dimeman’s personal opinion of who was the greatest golfer.

m

I wasn't the first one to bring up the comparison between the two! Look at the post before mine.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2018 7:44PM

so what’s your guess?

m

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm predicting that Tiger's best score will be a gold digger blonde when the tournament is over.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

70-68-69-67

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

78-83

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options

zippcity is looking pretty smart. I didn't have Woody folding until Friday.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

as i type this, T23 & 5 shots off the lead

dimeman provides ample premature overreactions for us all. your gratuitous contributions, while appreciated, are not necessary.

• Options

T23 does not get you to Butler cabin (unless he has rented it with Lindsey).

• Options

I'm just not a Tiger fan folks and I hope he never wins another tournament.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'm just not a Tiger fan folks and I hope he never wins another tournament.

...they should never mess with the OP>

;)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

FWIW, I think I actually guessed closest to Tiger's score today B)

• Options

GREAT NEWS......on the new title of this thread. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! :):DB)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    T23 does not get you to Butler cabin (unless he has rented it with Lindsey).

we all get that you don't like him. but you're rooting so hard for him to fail that you're all over the map. ultimately you want him to go up in flames. understood. i was simply telling you to pump the brakes on that one during the middle of his first round. but then you essentially replied with, "well, but he's not going to win the tournament." now i wake up to see that the thread title has been changed and you're back to focusing on him missing the cut. lol

listen, i'm with you in some respects. i used to loathe the guy. but i just so happen to be a forgiving cat who believes in redemption. plus, he turns the golfing world upside down when he plays. some of the biggest names are at or near the top of the leaderboard (Jordan, Rory, Rickie, Phil), but to the extremely tepid fan that will matter not if TW isn't around on the weekend -- even when it's Masters week. love him or -- in your case -- detest him with every ounce of your being, he unquestionably enhances the sport.

as for him missing the cut today, i give it about a 15-20% chance. he drove the ball horribly yesterday and did bupkis on the par-5s. only the 5th time in 79 Masters rounds that he failed to birdie or eagle one of them. i certainly wouldn't wager on 6 out of 80 after today, so i'll give him (at worst) 1-under thru 4 holes before his round ever starts.

frankly, i'm more interested to see what Jordan does. when the gates fly open, he busts out like Secretariat. there are horses for courses and i think we can now safely say that the track at Augusta National is his. but there are a lot of starving notables on his heels, so today and beyond should prove very interesting.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2018 7:54AM

Well Galaxy when I posted regarding zippcity, Woods was 3 over and headed for perdition. He was at the time folding but managed to recover to tepid "at least if the intent was to win the Masters."

None of us receive any purse money for watching sports. We do it out of passion and emotion. We cheer for the guy from New York that got paid off to attend our nearby school and cheer against the guy from Florida that got paid off to attend the other school up the highway. If we were all rational we would go for a hike or take the family to movie instead of watching golf and basketball...but we do not.

Woods is a putz. He is a putz to the fans, the journalists that try to interview him, his wife and kids and the sponsors that have invested heavily in him.

That matters little as he has game, well he used to have game. He is probably a top 50 player now which is stunning based on his broken physique, addiction to drugs and quite likely PED use. He may win another tournament if he can control his reckless demons. If he plays 50 tournaments he may win one.

He won't play 50 though as his back is fragile and his mind is withering.

You root for him...I'll root agianst him.

• Options

Unless you're a close friend of his wife, I just don't get the hate. Is it all that shocking a celebrity is getting some on the side? An athlete getting injured?

"I'm very proud of what I've been able to accomplish in my career and in my life, and you know the good thing about being 75 is that anything I may not likely be proud of was before the Internet was invented."

• Options
    edited April 6, 2018 8:15AM

It is the body of work, Larkin and not entirely Woods fault. The great Black athlete that infiltrated the WASPY world of professional golf placed him on a pedestal that exceeded the breadth of Martin Luther King.

He also had to be the perfect family man, son, spokesman that valiantly marched down the fairway each tournament Sunday with a win or a top ten challenge.

He would be a sympathetic figure at 42 if he didn't throw his clubs against trees, spit of greens and sneer at adoring fans that had the audacity to snap a photo while he was swinging.

I think I will go to a movie today. Chappaquiddick opens...

• Options

I don't think I'd fare so well under the microscope his every movement has been under for over 20 years. I just enjoy watching good golf and Sundays are much more entertaining having Woods in contention than without.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I don't think I'd fare so well under the microscope his every movement has been under for over 20 years. I just enjoy watching good golf and Sundays are much more entertaining having Woods in contention than without.

Agree...I would have sailed off on Privacy, 7 or 8 years ago.

• Options

I'm with coinstartled on Woods.....I detest him! Would love to see him go down in flames. He has no class at all!

Jack is still the GOAT!!

• Options

Tiger may not need the condo for the weekend.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Tiger may not need the condo for the weekend.

are they showing golf coverage in the movie theater?

• Options

Updates are delivered with the Chardonnay.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    It is the body of work, Larkin and not entirely Woods fault. The great Black athlete that infiltrated the WASPY world of professional golf placed him on a pedestal that exceeded the breadth of Martin Luther King.

He also had to be the perfect family man, son, spokesman that valiantly marched down the fairway each tournament Sunday with a win or a top ten challenge.

He would be a sympathetic figure at 42 if he didn't throw his clubs against trees, spit of greens and sneer at adoring fans that had the audacity to snap a photo while he was swinging.

I think I will go to a movie today. Chappaquiddick opens...

Interesting coincidence (?) you mentioning opting for a movie involving a car wreck. Akin to TW's infamous Thanksgiving episode. Both incidences leading to a decline to the respective subjects careers.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I'm predicting that Tiger's best score will be a gold digger blonde when the tournament is over.

So translated to a scorecard:

70-36-24-36

:)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Title updated for the fans.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2018 7:53PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'm with coinstartled on Woods.....I detest him! Would love to see him go down in flames. He has no class at all!

Or course you would. It says a lot about you.

It takes a lot of negative energy to detest someone. To feel abhorrence of; hate; dislike intensely. It’s especially sad because we are taking about someone involved in something as unimportant in the grand scheme of things in life. Sports. Sad.

Saint Jon

mark

• Options

So Mark...how do you feel about Ohio State?

• Options
    edited April 6, 2018 10:35PM

@Coinstartled said:
    So Mark...how do you feel about Ohio State?

When you are a Michigan Alum and have been a fan all them of your life and OSU is your arch rival you dont like them. It’s not allowed. However, I respect them and their institution. I’ve never hated anyone or detested anyone on Ohio State. Hoping they lose every Big Ten game doesn’t equate to detesting them. Same goes for MSU.

I’m sure I’ve made disparaging remarks about OSU over the years but all in the spirit of the rivalry. Everyone on both sides do. Geez, I have a ton of friends that went there I’ve been in their locker room as a kid. My cousin was an all American in football in OSU’s glory years.

It’s only a game.

m

• Options
    edited April 6, 2018 11:14PM

Btw I watched the Masters here today. I didn’t detest a thing. Well except for that USPS service thing

• Options
    edited April 6, 2018 11:08PM

Woody Hayes was an easy fellow to hate*.

*In a sporting sort of way.

• Options

>

He was nice to me. Bo loved him. Except for the third Saturday in November. He was great for The Game. I get where you are coming from.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Btw I watched the Masters here today. I didn’t detest a thing. Well except for that USPS service thing

and here i thought going to the movies to watch the Masters was a stroke of genius.

i've come to the conclusion that mark is the coolest person on planet earth not named fred couples

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

>

He was nice to me. Bo loved him. Except for the third Saturday in November. He was great for The Game. I get where you are coming from.

mark

And he was great as Mr. Wilson on Dennis the Menace.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rumor has it that Tiger Woods will soon be quitting the PGA tour and instead join the US ProMiniGolf Association tour where he has a better chance to win.

Tiger will retain his caddie who will carry around his golf bag containing the putter.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just not a Tiger fan folks and I hope he never wins another tournament

why in the world are you so freakin' negative all the time?? you wish ill on everyone all the time and spew such hate, is your life that miserable?? what makes the whole sad dimeman drama so pathetic is that you actually posted with grief at the coin forum off-topic.

can't you change your attitude, dude??