Home U.S. Coin Forum

OK, I Finally Did It

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2018 3:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, don't get it. You are an error collector and this is an error. What gives? Think it should have a date? Can you date it by the reverse?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 3:29PM

I bought this years ago when I first became an error coin dealer.

It has been raw for years .....

Brought it to Long Beach last month.

Just got it back.

I do believe there are reverse die markers that indicate the date. Do not remember as I do not specialize in that.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

You bought a coin made in Taiwan? 35% silver? Like our war nickels here in the US?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

edited March 31, 2018 3:35PM

@blitzdude said:
    You bought a coin made in Taiwan? 35% silver? Like our war nickels here in the US?

The US Mint in Denver either produced blank planchets (or/and) stuck coins for Taiwan in I believe 1972?

Researched it years ago and only going from memory.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah that's crazy, so somehow they attempted to strike an Eisenhower on a Taiwan dollar planchet? Hard for me to even comprehend how that could even happen.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Happened at the US Mint, who knows how it happened.

Could be simply an error in production.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pigs must have finally flown :D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@19Lyds where are you?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I bought this years ago when I first became an error coin dealer.

It has been raw for years .....

Brought it to Long Beach last month.

Just got it back.

I do believe there are reverse die markers that indicate the date. Do not remember as I do not specialize in that.

Great story. Hope someone can help identify the date!

• scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

This just blows my mind. How did it even get out the door of the mint?

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the Taiwan one dollar plan something like the USSR's old five year plan? :)

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

it was made at a US Mint
    35% Off Center
    no. not like war nickels

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Cool error!

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice error !

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Yeah that's crazy, so somehow they attempted to strike an Eisenhower on a Taiwan dollar planchet? Hard for me to even comprehend how that could even happen.

It happens when a planchet remains in a supposedly empty tote bin that is refilled with another denomination.

The planchet then gets struck,

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - that's really cool!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a neat error.... amazing that you kept it raw all these years... I am not surprised that such things happen, just surprised me that they get out of the Mint.... Cheers, RickO

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that coin, that was the coin you bought as a lot for dirt cheap, came on here to brag about. When people here called you a scum bag and let the lady know, you threatened to sue her and guilted her to send it anyway.

Congrats on bragging again, but most of us remember who you were/are and didn’t need the reminder.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

ugh crypto you brought back the memories of that thread......I got so disgusted at that thread because of this member and greed. I still remember it to this day......yep he bragged about this and threatened to sue the lady.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool error coin!

edited April 1, 2018 2:13PM

@Crypto said:
    I remember that coin, that was the coin you bought as a lot for dirt cheap, came on here to brag about. When people here called you a scum bag and let the lady know, you threatened to sue her and guilted her to send it anyway.

Congrats on bragging again, but most of us remember who you were/are and didn’t need the reminder.

Crypto, You were banned once and you got begged to get back in. You are lying.

Yes, I did cut my chops here as a brand new error coin dealer. I learned a ton about ethics and when NOT to ask an honest question about a coin that I did not know was real or a counterfeit when I did not have the coin in my possession. The real ethics violation was when a previously banned member here called the seller and offered to buy the coin from under me. That person has zero ethics.

I learned a ton as a BRAND NEW Coin Dealer. There are sharks everywhere trying to take advantage of an honest question. If they cant take advantage of you, they call you a scumbag.

Here is the story.... I saw a buy-it-now on ebay. I bought the coin. I as a brand new error coin dealer was not sure if the coin was real or not so I posted here on the forum BEFORE I received the coin. The first few responses said it was a fake. Then Fred and the captain chimed in and said it was real. Then it was off to the races to see if someone here could scam me out of a rightfully bought BIN on ebay. Crypto went ballistic thinking I ripped off some old lady. I have no idea who the seller was, how did Cyrtpo know it was an old lady? Why did Crypto get so mad? Why did Crypto take it so personally? Crypto then internet stalked me for a couple years on this forum until he was banned. The extreme unethical behavior that I experienced against me was very insightful as a new dealer, I learned a lot, and developed a thick skin.

This was getting so out of control that I called a long-term coin dealer for ethical advice. Thank you.

I then called a lawyer (first phone call free, never paid for any service) just to ask some questions. The seller was getting so many calls to steal the coin from me, I decided to post here on the forum that I contacted a lawyer to stop the seller harassment. I NEVER told the seller I contacted a lawyer and never threatened to sue the seller so Crypto is Lying.

I just spent a lot of money with our hosts getting mint error coins certified. My Name is Christopher Talbot Frank and I will defend my business from an unethical previously banned troll who hides behind a fake name.

This was a simply BIN on eBay. I was never asked for my opinion of the coin from the seller. All I did was buy a coin at the sellers' price.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file