Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Are "Visits" on our home page?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are visits? How are they acquired? Some folks have hundreds while some here for many years have very few.

At first, it seemed to me that they represented the number of times an individual member checked your profile. This has proven to be incorrect.

CONTEST: The first person to get the correct answer wins a raw Peace dollar postage paid. No one connected to CU in an official capacity is eligible. Contest over Tuesday. At that time I'll PM a moderator for the answer. If the Moderators will not tell us the correct answer there will be no winner. :(

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Visits" are acquired by giving out free beer.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if I visit MYSELF the total won't change.

I GIVE UP!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    "Visits" are acquired by giving out free beer.

No wonder I'm so broke
    D'uh
    I've hosted over 1,000 suds fests

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Visits are the number of times your profile has been visited due to popping up on a Google search query.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been here since 07' and only have 299.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 10:59AM

I have 433 visits and have no idea what they mean
    and don't care !

Today 4/ 7 / 2018 I looked at my VISITS and they
    are now 441 . ? ? ?

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 12:43PM

I'm guessing it would be the number of times that you've logged into the forums or your account and not including your registry account. Sometimes I can go for months without having to log in. If you're logged in with more than one device, you'd likely have to log out on all devices and log back in on at least one of them before your counter will move.

• Options

I have learned that there are some folks who are curious about things in this world and some who are not. God bless them <3 as they probably have a more blissful life!

So far, I don't think any guesses are correct as we cannot change our visit number each time we sign in. Therefore, I think the same should apply to other devices.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 12:56PM

Is it the number of different days a member has logged onto the message board, regardless of posts? That is, one log on today is one visit, two log on today is still only one visit.

Nope. Just looked at BuffaloIronTail's profile. Just 2 "visits." None of the explanations can be right. I'll go out tonight and look for UFEBs (Unidentified Flying Easter Bunnies)

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have zero visits and I prefer to keep it that way. I believe it to be the number of times a moderator has visited your account.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it be the number of times that a CU moderator visits?

(I think I need to learn how to type faster, @blitzdude beat me to the punch)

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Why would a moderator visit someone with a nice posting record hundreds of times? We have thought of that before and it may turn out to be the correct answer. If it is "they" will never say.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is the number of visits from non members. I actually thought there was a cap as I was stuck at 550.....now I have 551!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the number of times you've gone looking at other peoples' profile.

It's the number of free beers you've had.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

It represents the number of visits you have to your profile page. However since the forum was updated in 2016, the feature hasn't worked properly.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

number of times CU drops a cookie onto whatever you are accessing this site from. Clear the cookies on your desktop, re-enter your login info, and..... new visit.

Login from a new iPad,... new visit.

iPhone... new visit.

on and on.......

I see I have quite a few lol

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kccoin said:
    number of times CU drops a cookie onto whatever you are accessing this site from. Clear the cookies on your desktop, re-enter your login info, and..... new visit.

Login from a new iPad,... new visit.

iPhone... new visit.

on and on.......

I see I have quite a few lol

That’s not it. I logged out on my phone and visited, same number. I logged in on my phone and visited, same number. Went through the same routine with my laptop and iPad and the number has remained the same.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec well Thats what I thought anyway. Free dollars are nice

Now I wanna know how I have so many visits!

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of you probably know that the underlying software for these PCGS message boards is "Vanilla Forums." Visits are supposed to be defined as the number of unique times you "visit" the forums (i.e., open a forum page while navigating from a blank or external page--switching pages within the forum should not constitute a new visit). It is not supposed to be the number of times your cookie is renewed, nor the times you log on.

That said, there have been numerous complaints that the Vanilla Forums visit counter doesn't work as expected or in any reproducible way... the same problems we've been seeing. See, for example, this Vanilla Forums help thread.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 10:15PM

I think mvs7 has explained and produced evidence about this ! its is hard to be-leave they have something broke and do not fix it ?

• Options

@1940coupe said:
    I think mvs7 has explained and produced evidence about this ! its is hard to be-leave they have something broke and do not fix it ?

Not really as it seems like something that doesn't need to be fixed. When the clock in your car from years ago stopped working, how many bothered to have it fixed?

• Options
    edited March 31, 2018 11:15PM

I fixed mine!

• Options

@1940coupe said:
    I fixed mine!

One of the few I bet.

• Options

your comment reminds me of a small business somewhere that has a light burnt in there sign and they dont fix because it doesn't matter

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the olden times before this forum, we were able to vote on another members page from 1-10. Then you got an average number and the higher it was, the more others liked you on the forum. You were only allowed to vote 1x on the same member. It must have carried over to this forum as "Visits".

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I dont agree with you but I like your dog

• Options
    edited April 1, 2018 6:36AM

It looks like two answers may be correct.

@Onastone gave what sounds like the correct answer. @Mvs7 came next and explained it. Time to PM a mod. If correct @Onastone is the winner. Please PM me with a mailing address.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2018 6:52AM

I think you need to read what they both said again Mvs7 said it represents visits to forum ! @Onastone said it represents visits to profile page ! I be leave it represents visits to forum but its broke

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea.... because of this thread, I checked my 'visit' counter... 813.... After posting this, I will log out and come back on to see if it changes.... I doubt it... Cheers, RickO

• Options

No change... I logged completely out... had to sign in again.... still no change, so that is not it. Hey @Insider2 ....one more idea you can cross off the list... Cheers, RickO

• Options

it has already been said its broke !

• Options

@1940coupe said:
    I think you need to read what they both said again Mvs7 said it represents visits to forum ! @Onastone said it represents visits to profile page ! I be leave it represents visits to forum but its broke

God catch and thanks. I'll bet it is visits to the forum by each member. Obviously, it is broken. That means @Mvs7 is the winner if this is true.

Due to a dumb mistake on my part, both will get a coin! Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I'll wait for the "Fudge Ripple Forums" or at least the "Pistachio Forums."

• Options
    edited April 1, 2018 8:46AM

@1940coupe said:
    your comment reminds me of a small business somewhere that has a light burnt in there sign and they dont fix because it doesn't matter

The ability to delete posts and PMs or edit PMs would be far more useful than a "visits" counter. I really don't care how many times member TOMMYTONES2 has visited here. Also the Q & A forum would be lots better if smoeone from PCGS actually provided some answers.

• Options

I dont care how many times TOMMYTONES2 visited here ether but I wouldnt made knowing how many times I did if it worked ! and wouldnt mind the other things you stated do we have to chose cant we have it all !

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you gently allow your arrow to hover over the number of visits there is a drop-down that explains what it is exactly.

peacockcoins

• Options

@1940coupe said:
    I dont care how many times TOMMYTONES2 visited here ether but I wouldnt made knowing how many times I did if it worked ! and wouldnt mind the other things you stated do we have to chose cant we have it all !

Being somewhat pedantic at times they should either fix it or get rid of it if possible.

• Options

@braddick said:
    If you gently allow your arrow to hover over the number of visits there is a drop-down that explains what it is exactly.

Didn't work for me.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't work for me either :/

GrandAm :)
  • Options

NOTHING ever works for me.

Pete

• Options

@braddick said:

04/01/18 ;)

• Options

Hovering over the visit number does nothing... no drop down at all....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 980 of these "visits"! So what are they??!!

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Didn't work for me either :/

Me either also. Tried with FF and IE.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    Some of you probably know that the underlying software for these PCGS message boards is "Vanilla Forums." Visits are supposed to be defined as the number of unique times you "visit" the forums (i.e., open a forum page while navigating from a blank or external page--switching pages within the forum should not constitute a new visit). It is not supposed to be the number of times your cookie is renewed, nor the times you log on.

That said, there have been numerous complaints that the Vanilla Forums visit counter doesn't work as expected or in any reproducible way... the same problems we've been seeing. See, for example, this Vanilla Forums help thread.

This is the correct answer if I am voting.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2018 10:58AM

...this is making my day ;)

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...this is making my day ;)

You are too easy to please.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@mvs7 said:

This is the correct answer if I am voting.

Count me in! It has been a 'bug" in the software.

Hurray Wabbit2313. You solved it on Easter. You MUST be the "Easter Wabbit".

Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file