Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP 1826 Erie Canal Medal in silver

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2018 3:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

America’s first public works medal stuck by means of a very powerful and well tuned screw press. Voted the 8th best medal amongst America’s Greatest Medals and Tokens it was high up my want list. There are about 20-30 known examples in silver.

I bought this in the recent Kagin auction. It has a nice lavender and pink hue and is graded 64 by NGC. I will be sending it to our hosts for crossing plus the holder is pretty hacked up. I think 64 is the right number due to some hairlines consistant for the grade .

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bellissima!

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Nice choice, Mark. Stunning coin, wonderful design, great condition, and rare to boot!
    Lance.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats... Medals often are left out of the spotlight which seems to be changing as more appreciate them for what they are.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice one. Most that I have seen (in white metal ?) have been pretty beat up.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure, this is one of the most beautiful medals in our history. I was watching that one go!
    Glad it's a part of the forum family now.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular medal, Mark. Your enthusiasm might just be contagious. The toning on your Erie Canal really brings out the details.

OINK

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great one in pristine condition.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick up

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice specimen Mark.... The Erie Canal was a significant engineering feat in those times... and still today it is a historical site and interest. I read on a metal detecting forum, several years ago, that one of these was found along the canal...obviously not in that condition... but it was a unique find. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is a very nice specimen Mark.... The Erie Canal was a significant engineering feat in those times... and still today it is a historical site and interest. I read on a metal detecting forum, several years ago, that one of these was found along the canal...obviously not in that condition... but it was a unique find. Cheers, RickO

It’s a wonder this project ever got completed. There was tremendous opposition from the states involved

That find was amazing

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

Dude. Pan and Poseidon are yoked.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

You see these in white metal more frequently but a nice high grade silver one looks so much nicer.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 5:58PM

Congratulations. That is a special So-Called Dollar and your specimen looks quite nice.

I can't wait to see it in a PCGS slab and the TrueView.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

MJ, great pickup! HK-1000, the Erie Canal Medal in silver is my favorite SCD. Charles Cushing Wright made some beautiful DIES.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

We live on the Erie canal extension, never realized they had a medal for the canal itself. Interesting. Hope it's at least 90% silver.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely cool

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great piece!

We don't do medals like that anymore - by the time a group of people designs a medal, it turns "blah" to keep everyone happy and unoffended.

Keeps me looking for the great pieces from the past.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Nicer!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

One of my favorite designs and a ""Sterling" example! (Well not quite ;)

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018 3:44PM

I'm glad you had it reholdered - when we picked up that consignment I was amazed at how ratty the plastic looked; unfortunately, there wasn't time to have it fixed. It was then - and only then - that I decided to use it as a cheese board....

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2018 3:42PM

Youre a Gouda man

m

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I love a piece that says EXCELSIOR. Que "Ride of the Valkerie" and invade a small country. Kidding about the invasion, just gets the blood pumping.

• Options

@Regulated said:
    I'm glad you had it reholdered - when we picked up that consignment I was amazed at how ratty the plastic looked; unfortunately, there wasn't time to have it fixed. It was then - and only then - that I decided to use it as a cheese board....

My brother in Wisconsin could have served on the cheese board, but he chose to serve on the bratwurst board instead!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some truly awesome medal designs! Id love to add a few to my collection, but way too many irons in the fire now to start a new project!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice buy!

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neptunistic buy, I’m sure!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this the first time. That is an extremely nice example of a great medal.
    Congratulations Mark.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3 What a unique addition to your collection.....I particularly love the eagle....seconds of taking his flight again @Justacommeman

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much Congrat's!!

:)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice medal, Mark.

I owned the HK-1 pictured on the cover of the 2nd Edition of the book "So-Called Dollars" but was forced to sell when the economy crashed in 2008-9. you probably realize that the reverse is the weaker of the two sides, quite low in relief compared to the obverse. I have never understood why the Eagle wasn't cut deeper but it is a nicely designed medal despite that shortcoming.

those who are interested in the medal itself should probably read up on the canal construction project and its ramifications on America's economic development. it is astounding what manual labor and American ingenuity accomplished!!! the day's Engineers created methods for doing things out of sheer necessity and overcame every manner of natural obstacle imaginable. though not on the scope of the Great Wall or the Great Pyramids it rivals anything done in the proceeding centuries.

we're planning a vacation this summer and I hope to post a thread with the relevant stops and SC$'s. the first stop will be the Erie Canal Museum in Buffalo, the Western terminus. the Canal part of the trip will end with a two-day stay in Albany, the Eastern terminus. there will be other fun things but I have always wanted to visit what is left of the old canal.

thanks for sharing your medal with us, it looks to be an exceptionally well preserved example.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 6:05AM

Spectacular medal. I missed it the first go around.

I took these pics in the Queen City.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@keets said:
    nice medal, Mark.

I owned the HK-1 pictured on the cover of the 2nd Edition of the book "So-Called Dollars" but was forced to sell when the economy crashed in 2008-9. you probably realize that the reverse is the weaker of the two sides, quite low in relief compared to the obverse. I have never understood why the Eagle wasn't cut deeper but it is a nicely designed medal despite that shortcoming.

those who are interested in the medal itself should probably read up on the canal construction project and its ramifications on America's economic development. it is astounding what manual labor and American ingenuity accomplished!!! the day's Engineers created methods for doing things out of sheer necessity and overcame every manner of natural obstacle imaginable. though not on the scope of the Great Wall or the Great Pyramids it rivals anything done in the proceeding centuries.

we're planning a vacation this summer and I hope to post a thread with the relevant stops and SC$'s. the first stop will be the Erie Canal Museum in Buffalo, the Western terminus. the Canal part of the trip will end with a two-day stay in Albany, the Eastern terminus. there will be other fun things but I have always wanted to visit what is left of the old canal.

thanks for sharing your medal with us, it looks to be an exceptionally well preserved example.

There are some working locks in Lockport, NY that provide quite a bit of vertical drop, as the current canal comes down the Niagara Escarpment.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, Captain, that's where we're headed. the second stop will be the "Anchor Bar" where Buffalo Wings originated. my GF is a wing aficionado so that will be a treat for her.

• Options

There is a decent diner in downtown Lockport called Tom's, or at least there was in 2012. Check out the mural in the men's room!

• Options
    WHPRATTWHPRATT Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I've always loved that eagle on the reverse. Nice piece.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

The construction of the Erie Canal is probably why there are more different NY obsolete notes and scrip than any other state. The resulting settlements along the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys allowed any farmer within 10-20 miles of the canal to access markets all over the world. And the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys are full of fertile farmland.

The result was many new towns and cities and a huge increased need for money to fuel the economic expansion. Coins were only a small part of the dollar value needed, so most of the day to day economic needs were filled by bank issued currency and private merchant and city issued scrip.

Many coin collectors don't realize that from about 1800 until the Civil War, most of the money in terms of face value, by far, was bank issued paper money. Smaller banks typically had circulations in the hundreds of thousands of dollars while the larger ones circulated millions of dollars in paper money at any given time. The vast majority of it was issued, circulated a few years and then was replaced by newer designs. Eventually, most of this currency was redeemed and/or replaced with National Bank Notes. Contrary to popular belief, most of this currency did not become worthless, but, rather was redeemed and destroyed. That's why many of the notes that survive today are counterfeits, they were never redeemed and destroyed because they couldn't be. Genuine surviving notes are often unissued remainders, so the rare ones are genuine notes, properly signed and issued, from banks that survived and redeemed their notes, like the ones that became National Banks in the 1860s and 1870s.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a stones throw away from the canal, so feel free to send it back home at will. It belongs home... :# Really! ;)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice addition Mark, I really like the look of it.

Nice photo too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file