Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2 (yes two) better grade Two Feathers in a night - updated 6/19 with grade results and Truview

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2018 11:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It has always seemed that opportunities for NewPs come in groups, and last night was no exception.

The 1916 was won raw, although not a cherry pick in the truest sense, as I had to chase it up to a point that after I pay grading fees, I could have just as well bought a certified one. The disadvantage of big, clear pictures. :o . I peg this as a 58, but a stronger and more eye appealing one that other's I've seen graded at that level. There is also the matter of the thrill of the hunt that makes finding one 'in the wild' more rewarding that buying an already graded example.

The 1925-S is certified and attributed. It is graded PCGS55 and came with a 58 price tag, which I was totally fine by me. The fact of the matter is this example is better struck, earlier die state and more eye appealing than most 58s for this date. The 25-S 2F appears to have been struck with a fresh reverse die, and while the obverse can't technically be a 'fresh' die and a 2f at the same time, clearly I could have done worse. Any one that knows the series knows the 25-S simply comes fugly, and that acquiring anything with an level of eye appeal is a victory.

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't be surprised if that 16 is a 64. Man I could never hunt buffs if I counted feathers all day long. Nice scoops.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice scores, the 16 may be a No F as well.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnWithTheHunt said:

Sure looks like it. The '25-S is outstanding!

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, wow!!!

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with the difference between a "two feather" buff and a "regular" buff? Can someone enlighten me with a quick sentence or two? Much appreciated. Thanks rln

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...Nice Hits!...and while the rest of the country was out buying Lotto tickets ;)

• Options

@rln_14 said:
    I am not familiar with the difference between a "two feather" buff and a "regular" buff? Can someone enlighten me with a quick sentence or two? Much appreciated. Thanks rln

Overpolished dies remove the 3rd bottom feather at the back of his head. Same thing that caused the 3 and 3.5 leggers. The "no F" is missing designer initials.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet picks.. I agree, that '16 may surprise you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice!
    Great pick ups

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They both are very nice Buffs.... Still great detail on each one.... You did very well... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1916 should come back no less that 64. I believe it will grade 65.

Like Ron said, the 25-S has a fantastic strike. No matter what the grade, that coin should be assigned a premium on the strike alone.

It looks AU-55 to me.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are the undisputed 2 feather king of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickups!

There are several 2 feather Buffaloes for sale on Great Collections.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soft strike showing on the hipbone and flank of the buffalo if it's not rub. Tough call buddy. It's kinda weird I don't any rub on the obverse. You have me stumped. I'm thinking it's a 55 but I hope it's a 63 for ya :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow......it does seem they come in groups. Then you usually hit a dry spell.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

There are several registry sets of 2 feather Buffalo nickels, some include some very high grade coins!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

I looked through hundreds and hundreds of buffalo's this morning and only saw one that came remotely close to 2 feathers, so close but so so far away. The others with a "No F" were in such poor condition it'd never show anyway.

Much respect for that keen eye of yours.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks azurecens for the explanation....rln

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    Don't be surprised if that 16 is a 64. Man I could never hunt buffs if I counted feathers all day long. Nice scoops.

Thanks for the various votes of confidence that it will grade higher. I'm focused on the flatness on the hip bone, or at least what appears to be to me. Obviously it becomes a much more valuable coin in an MS grade, although of all the 2f, I assume this has to have the highest POP of MS grades.

@OnWithTheHunt said:

I had totally missed that. Thanks for pointing it out :smile:

@RichieURich said:

@crazyhounddog said:

There are several registry sets of 2 feather Buffalo nickels, some include some very high grade coins!

I am number 11 out of a whopping 15. The latest two may change that slightly. My set does include the 13-D in 65+ and the 21 in 65, so high grades can be found!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1916 is the most common of all the 2 feather varieties, both in circ grade and MS but that one without the designer's initial too is pretty scarce. Nice find!

• Options

I have to further add more about the 1925-S. It really is too bad that it suffered such a heavy clash. I looked closer at it and found some remnants of the top feather still show in front of Black Diamond's head after the die was reworked.

Iron Tail's chin is also noticeably diminished. Although severe, the reworking was successful in making the die presentable for further use.

Also of note is the reason so many 2 and 2 1/2 feather varieties exist. The small, low relief inner feather on Iron Tail is directly opposite the hide of Black Diamond. That was a prime area to focus on when reworking die clashes.

Here's an overlay of a Buffalo Nickel showing the diametrically opposed elements of the obverse and reverse.

It helps to show why certain areas suffered from abraiding.

Hope this helps.

Pete

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Alain nailed these two pieces. The 16 does indeed look like a No F variety as well and could market grade higher than 58.

The 25-S has a killer reverse strike. Even on straight MS pieces of this date, the reverse looks way above average on this 2F variety. Great pickup on both pieces.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

@Shamika said:
    Alain nailed these two pieces. The 16 does indeed look like a No F variety as well and could market grade higher than 58.

The 25-S has a killer reverse strike. Even on straight MS pieces of this date, the reverse looks way above average on this 2F variety. Great pickup on both pieces.

Good to see you.

Pete

• Options

As a final post script to this, the 25-S arrived today and I could not be happier. Just as the image reflects, great strike and die state and clean surfaces, with a pleasant orange/amber hue in the fields. That was clearly money well spent, and I will consider it an upgrade, even as I let go of my numerically higher 58.

The 1916 was another matter, turning out MUCH darker in hand than the image suggests. Looks more like a 55 than a 65 in hand. I'm keeping it and will have it piggyback on someone else's submission - Truview to come the summer. I will be slightly behind the curve relative to what I could have simply bought a certified example for, but this still has the benefits of 1) also being a NO F and 2) was found in the wild.

• Options

As a final-final post-script, I got grades and truview back on the 1916. As guessed in my April 5 post, the piece graded 55. I think most will agree that the seller images and the Truview depict very different looks of the same coin.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow you are not kidding. That True View looks great compared to the original pics. That reverse is stunning.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice keep up the good work...

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't have guessed that trueview was of the same coin I submitted.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Those are disappointing photos from NE.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that there should be a separate FS-number for the 1916 that is a 2 feather and no "F".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file