Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP: 1867 Proof with Rays and my complete nickel proof set...

TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I finally got around to picking up an 1867 5c proof with rays. I saw a few here and there graded higher, but most were not CAC and others just didn't 'fit in'.

She may not be the highest grade I could afford, or a CAM, but I think she fits into my set nicely:

I am now 1 coin away from finishing my proof U.S nickels complete set with major varieties set. I've gotten so distracted making this set (e.g. buying other stuff), a ton of the coins I bought back just five short years ago went from top pops to being 2nd best with 2 or more coins graded higher, and some of the pops raising 100%!!! A lot of those have to resubmissions.

Every coin is CAC, a large amount of them need to be rebeaned since I sent all coins in for regrading.

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/complete-sets/complete-sets-by-denomination/u-s-nickels-complete-set-major-varieties-proof-1866-present/publishedset/68063

Enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an impressive set, lots of fantastic coins!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!!!! Major congrats! I love it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example. Good luck finding the last coin

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

I have never gone after this type in Proof. I had a nice Mint State piece when I was completing and upgrading my set. For that reason I didn't go for Proof. Maybe some day ...

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations... that is a major project and accomplishment....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

WOW . . . Beautiful set!

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin!

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

That's a great set. Thanks for sharing.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive set!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice fully struck up coin with stunning rose toning in the periphery. That has to be one of the very few I would have bought. To this day I still have not found the right one.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Shield Nickels, one of the coolest series EVER! (IMHO)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the chance to truly dive into your set. Super well done. Not surprised in the least

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your new 1867 w/rays is a spectacular addition to your very impressive 5c proof set. I am very impressed with your accomplishment.

OINK

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

That's a very nice looking coin. Even more important, it appears to be the Dann #1 variety, which is the original striking of 1867WR proofs. 1867WR proofs were struck several times over a number of years, using 4 different obverses.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@howards said:
    That's a very nice looking coin. Even more important, it appears to be the Dann #1 variety, which is the original striking of 1867WR proofs. 1867WR proofs were struck several times over a number of years, using 4 different obverses.

Yes?..... YES I AGREE!....I was just about to say this same thing Howard.
    I forgot about the 4 different obverses on the 1867WR proofs, how foolish of me........ :#

• Options
    edited March 31, 2018 2:58PM

@howards said:

Thanks everyone. I am working on a complete ms and proof nickel set with all varieties.

@howard do you have a page with the dann varieties of 1867 wr proofs?

(Just realized iPhone corrected date to 1868 oops)

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Wow- what a great set! I really like the concept of a complete nickel proof- congrats for a fantastic accomplisment!

Always trying to learn more
  • Options

@Traz said:

@howard do you have a page with the dann varieties of 1867 wr proofs?

Unfortunately, no. It would make a great web page though.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2018 7:24PM

Thanks. Can you tell me why it’s Dann. 1 variety? @howards

• Options

@Traz said:
    Thanks. Can you tell me why it’s Dann. 1 variety? @howards

Because it matches the die markers for a Dann 1 - e.g., date position, shape of engraved leaf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file