Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1963 Franklin Half PCGS Sample

ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was way off with my guesstimate on this sample, figured $200-$300.
With two hours left in auction it was up to $309, at that time I stopped watching as I knew the bidder really wanted this Sample.
Final price $1009.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Franklin-Silver-Half-Dollar-PCGS-Sample-Holder-/152942352011?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=k%2FAEL0HAvY0khAyf4jTy3fSxk3c%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies, please disregard...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I didn't chase that one down. I was out after 80 bucks.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holey Moley...$1009??? Wow...That is amazing....and the winner swooped in with a nuclear bid that the others did not pursue....Amazing... Someone WANTED that coin/slab...It would be a real heart breaker for sample slab collectors if the winner cracks it and submits it for grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Usually when samples fetch these prices my first thought is they're cracking and crossing. Probably saw something everybody else missed.

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭

This is the first Franklin sample (that I have seen) to cross the auction block since Cameron Kiefer on sampleslabs.com posted the only other one known PCGS type 8.1 (sold May 2004) and this type is not even listed as many of the bidders on this lot knew.
    There were 12 different bidder for this coin and I also knew this was one that was going to the top.
    Way out of the price range I would pay for samples.
    This Franklin sample slab has the correct PCGS coin number 6684 for the date 1963, Grade is 00 and serial number 12345678 and the word 'sample' is to the right. Very close to the sample slabs type 8.1. Just the coin number difference. 654321 vs 6684.
    These two slabs look to made at around the same time as both holders look very similar.

Bob

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    Usually when samples fetch these prices my first thought is they're cracking and crossing. Probably saw something everybody else missed.

These are sample collectors chasing these. No ones cracking anything.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Azurescens said:

These are sample collectors chasing these. No ones cracking anything.

mark

If you saw an ms69 1948 in a sample slab, would you not be tempted?

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a FBL Franklin in a puck.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file