Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post Your "Silver Commemorative Half Dollar" With Its Original Packaging!

Hi all! I've been away from here for a while, I guess I just never felt like logging in, haha. Anyway, I have recently been chipping away at my Silver Commemorative Half Dollar 50-slot Whitman album (includes Isabella 25c and Lafayette $1, so please include those if you happen to have them!). A few days ago, I won an auction that included the original packaging and coin of the 1936 P Bridgeport, CT Centennial commissioned by the Bridgeport Centennial, Inc. Finance Committee. I got to thinking, I want to try,to be best of my ability, to get as many original packaging and coins as I possibly can! Call me crazy, but I feel like I would be cheating myself if I don't reunite/ have the packaging for the coin! It's going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack (49 more times over), but I'm up for the challenge!

I thought it could do me and anyone else interested in seeing the coins and the original packaging if we made a forum post where we could all post what we have (commemorative and packaging combination, not just the coin) so we have an idea of what we would be looking for.

I'll start it off and upload the photos from my phone once I get them done and edited. If any of you have anything that could be of help, please feel free to post away!

Best of luck,

Sean with Boyernumismatics~~~

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have commemative coins and the packages in which some of them came but they are not with their orignal packages. If you need to have that, this will be a short thread.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2018 6:53PM

@BillJones said:
    I have commemative coins and the packages in which some of them came but they are not with their orignal packages. If you need to have that, this will be a short thread.

I would have thought more people would have some insight/ interest than just me, lol! I was just trying to make a friendly and helpful thread, that's all. Show off what you've got, since the original packaging is rare!

• Options
    Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

• Options

I'm going to have to keep a close eye on that one!!!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gentlemen, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! It’s hard to believe people used to toss original commemorative coin packaging...

sends first strike commemorative coins to PCGS, throws away the OGP when it comes back

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder, though, did every Bridgeport half come in a box like that?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:

“. . .We have received the following information relative to the coin from W. B. Aurandt, managing director of Bridgeport Centennial, Inc.:

‘In addition to the world-wide fame of P. T. Barnum as a showman, we look upon him with a great deal of respect as a fine citizen and philanthropist of our city. He served as our Mayor in the year 1875. In 1851 he purchased a tract of land in East Bridgeport, laid out streets and lined them with trees. He also reserved a grove of eight acres, which is now known as Washington Park. This was the beginning of an industrial development in our city which has since grown to great proportions. We owe a great debt of gratitude to Mr. Barnum who was among the first to take action toward acquiring thirty acres of land which he gave to the city. This land comprised our original Seaside Park, which has since been enlarged to 210 acres and has one of the finest locations in New England, with a seawall 2 ½ miles long.

‘We believe it most fitting and desirable to pay tribute to Mr. Barnum by having issued a commemorative half dollar bearing a likeness of his profile. The issue is 25,000, and will not entertain an additional coinage. We are now filling applications for approximately 18,000 coins and the demand is continuing to be evident both from local and out-of-town reservations. The coin is delivered insured, postpaid, packed in a beautiful, blue, gold-imprinted container at a cost of $2.00 each, the proceeds being allocated to help defray our Centennial celebration expenses."  **3**

3 The Numismatist, Bridgeport’s Half Dollar , November 1936, p. 911.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, thanks for sharing :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boyernumismatics said:

@BillJones said:

I would have thought more people would have some insight/ interest than just me, lol! I was just trying to make a friendly and helpful thread, that's all. Show off what you've got, since the original packaging is rare!

Sorry .. I thought that you required that the original coin had to be included with the original packaging. That can be done, but it's tough, and usually the asking prices are way more than the regular price for the coin. I have always passed on those deals.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only original coin/box combination I have is a British Crown....I will see if I can talk my wife into a phone picture.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@CommemDude said:
    @kiyote said:

My box is only for one coin. Were the boxes specially made for each order, or could you buy 1, 3, 5, etc amount of coins and have the box to match?

• Options

@CommemDude said:
    This is one of my areas of interest

What an absolutely IMPRESSIVE collection you have there. I hope I can one day have a rival set like that. I know there's a LOT of money in that collage!

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool pieces with boxes!

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options

I too have one of these commemorative coins but it is a bay bridge 1936-S.
    I quest my question is should I send it in to be graded or leave it in its sealed original plastic cover?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff here.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats is all good stuff to see here today

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

My commemorative memorabilia collection also had a nice series of order forms, many of them scarcer than the holders.
    I didn't hold many of the forms (I was tempted to hold all of them) but I did keep a few. Although the coin is common and so is the holder, a Norfolk order form is rare.

I also stumbled on a big collection of order confirmation post cards. Here is a reply card that confirmed an order for the Norfolk half.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2018 4:53AM

@CommemDude said:
    @kiyote said:

Nice! Never seen a 3 coin box - its in excellent shape as well! Looks like the coins are in good shape as well - the one coin box tended not to be kind to the coin - especially the reverse.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2018 5:05AM

Great thread!!! Thanks to all for sharing.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 1982-D Washington commemorative in the original box. But, then again, you most likely have one too. So I won't bother posting a photo of it. If you want to know what it looks like go look at yours. It's easier for me that way.

• Options

Here is the after market Iowa

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very interesting material in this thread!

• Options

I know I'm late but this is the coolest commemorative showing I've ever seen! I'm very impressed!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file