Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Report this Ebay seller of Carson City Counterfeits

Here is a listing from a seller in Australia who repeatedly sells counterfeit Carson City Morgan Dollars. I have informed Ebay to no avail. The only thing they will listen to is a public flogging by a concerned coin community to ban this seller.

Please help. You will be doing us all a great service.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1888-CC-US-1-Silver-Coin/222872941091?hash=item33e4433223:g:9cwAAOSwusdafHDz

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 1:06PM

An 1888cc is not a counterfeit. No coins were minted in CC in '88 and thus this does not "copy" any US mint made coin. It's a fantasy piece and ebay may let it go. I did send the seller a polite message and perhaps he's forthright and will remove.

bob :)
    PS: it is a cloudy area for sure, just ask Mr. Carr, et al.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    donbendonben Posts: 16 ✭✭

AUandAG your point is well taken. it is a counterfeit if the seller represents it as a real coin

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    An 1888cc is not a counterfeit. No coins were minted in CC in '88 and thus this does not "copy" any US mint made coin. It's a fantasy piece and ebay may let it go. I did send the seller a polite message and perhaps he's forthright and will remove.

Yes, it is a counterfeit. The date is immaterial. All that is required is a likeness or similarity to any real legal tender. The key inscriptions to make a counterfeit are: a legal tender denomination (i.e., 'One Dollar') and legal issuing authority (i.e., 'United States of America'). Misspellings and abbreviations don't change counterfeit condition; if it could be mistaken for money or used in place of money, then it's covered by counterfeiting laws. That is why metal slugs fall under the same law and penalties.

• Options

The seller of this coin did not respond to a polite suggestion to remove his listing on a previous occasion. He will only listen to eBay sanctions.

• Options

@RogerB said:

@AUandAG said:

Yes, it is a counterfeit. The date is immaterial. All that is required is a likeness or similarity to any real legal tender. The key inscriptions to make a counterfeit are: a legal tender denomination (i.e., 'One Dollar') and legal issuing authority (i.e., 'United States of America'). Misspellings and abbreviations don't change counterfeit condition; if it could be mistaken for money or used in place of money, then it's covered by counterfeiting laws. That is why metal slugs fall under the same law and penalties.

Roger, I agree with the premise you stated but since this is a non circulating coin (50 years now) I'll have to disagree that this is still legal tender. It's not fooling anyone any longer as they are collector coins now not circulating coins (collectors know the difference). Yes, it appears that it may harm the collecting community but not the public as it would if it were a modern issue that is still being circulated. Legally, you are correct but practically nobody will enforce the law on this. The SS will have none of it.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is one ugly fake cc morgan. what's up with the very high shipping?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 1:42PM

what a terrible counterfeit.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the “see no problem, it’s a fantasy peice camp.”

It reminds me of this..

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

AUandAG. The real question here is "Does it violate eBay policy?" If so he should be reported. eBay only responds to complaints when they receive a large number against a particular item or seller

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

That couldn't fool a blind man. Sorry but I see this as paying tution if someone buys it.

• Options

@donben said:
    AUandAG. The real question here is "Does it violate eBay policy?" If so he should be reported. eBay only responds to complaints when they receive a large number against a particular item or seller

far as i recall, they don't accept any kind of copy of a US coin.

here is a an S to go with the CC

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it has an omega on it it's perfectly legal.

....Is this joke old yet?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

RE: "I agree with the premise you stated but since this is a non circulating coin (50 years now) I'll have to disagree that this is still legal tender."

It doesn't matter if the piece is or ever was a legal tender. If it looks like a coin or acts like a coin - regardless of date or composition - it is legally a counterfeit. A slug is covered by the same laws, even though it never had any legal tender status. Stamping pieces that would fool a vending machine is sufficient proof of counterfeiting. That is the consistent opinion of courts for generations; and also of Treasury Dept lawyers.

• Options

So, point me to a recent arrest and conviction for such spurious activity.

• Options

PS: The Australian Federal Police do not look kindly on counterfeiting.

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    So, point me to a recent arrest and conviction for such spurious activity.

There are many thousands of convictions for counterfeiting. You can search the case law or get a para-legal to help you. You can get your questions answered by writing to:

Paul Wolfteich, Esq., Chief Counsel
    U.S. Department of Treasury
    1500 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20220

Include photos and other information to help the Chief Counsel's Office better understand. If you include sample counterfeits, they won't be returned.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay has a specific report for this:

The item in this listing is a replica coin, replica paper money, or replica stamp that has not been clearly marked as a reproduction, replica, or copy.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

I totally agree they are illegal and report many of them every day....I've reported this one as well. However, I do not believe that the Feds would do sh*t about this stuff. Especially the fact that it is not in the US. The last case I recall was an ebay seller from the upper midwest that was using ebay for selling and importing from China the fakes. Multiple sales and an importer to boot. I have spoken to our local SS office regarding fake coins from China and they have no interest. Said I need to get ebay to ban them. They did encourage me to notify them of counterfeit US dollars, but not coin.
    bob

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he is in Australia maybe we inform the UN and let them go after the seller. A Universal cease and desist mandated by our Sovereign UN Charter. I am sure it would have teeth.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2018 10:43AM

I do believe that the U.S. Secret Service is the least bit interested in these cases. However, it would seem that eBay, too, has little desire to enforce its policy regarding counterfeit coins.

That must be addressed by someone in authority at eBay. Maybe I need move this conversation to an eBay forum instead.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay is rife with 'counterfeit' coins.... Forum members report these almost daily.... they disappear, then appear either elsewhere (other venue) or reappear on ebay a month later. Reporting helps, we should not stop that effort, however, it is corrective, not preventive. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭

Gone!

• Options
  • Options

it appears that someone at eBay is listening. Thank you everyone who reported this listing.

• Options

And another one just popped up from the UK. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183115804321?ul_noapp=true

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    eBay has a specific report for this:

The item in this listing is a replica coin, replica paper money, or replica stamp that has not been clearly marked as a reproduction, replica, or copy.

question 1 : have these or any silver dollars ever demonitized or declared invalid in the USA?
    2: what are the penalties for selling, possession or making fake currency in the USA?
    and 3; not so much a question but a statement . If someone makes or attempts to make currency depicting US money, the actual item has to be made BEFORE to word "copy " or similar is applied to the item. Hence the forgery is made before the item is stamped as a copy etc...and therefore the fact of making a forgerie is 100% satisfied.
    so, according to Canadian law, Ebay is totally full of it.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

The U.S. Mint did not issue Morgan Silver Dollars at the Carson City Mint from 1886 through 1888 which is why it is easy to determine that any Carson City dollars with these dates are not real.

• Options

Another counterfeit 1888-CC to report. Do you think eBay will ever figure it out?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Morgan-dollar/183130421970?hash=item2aa36c7ad2:g:SiMAAOSw10haq8kN

• Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

That’s the reason why there is a little risk when you are buying coins from eBay. Though this particular 1888c is technically not a counterfeit, there have been many cases where the seller might increase the market value of coins or sell fake coins.

• Options

@AUandAG said:

after giving your post some more thought, you may be onto something. ebay standards and HPA are not mutually exclusive and ebay while not accepting copies/counterfeits, i'm not sure about the "fantasy" standard. the item is obviously in violation of HPA but ebay, i concede, i am not certain.

since it is a "fantasy" date, there is minor risk a dealer/collector would be fooled.

it is in violation of the HPA and in such likeness as to be made, almost certainly to deceive, i lean towards removal since HPA supercedes ebay policy and if illegal by US federal law, ebay should be held to that standard. i also concede that this is a debatable subject with nuances on a few fronts.

i thank you for helping me to work out the distinction(s). :)

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I TOTALLY agree with NO COUNTERFEITS, etc.

What is wrong with the listing? I read HPA violation, etc.

If it is in Australia, I doubt HPA applies. Is there an AUSTRALIAN law that applies to a NON AUSTRALIAN coin (or coin not part of the commonwealth) probably made in China imported to Australia? If the coin was sent to the US, then a problem exists.

I doubt the US Secret Service or Treasury Department cares about a Chinese counterfeit of a US coin that never existed in Australia.

The US government has made counterfeit currency to disrupt another nation, by the millions, so apparently, it must be OK to do so, :)

• Options
    edited March 20, 2018 10:03PM

It is a counterfeit if the seller represents the coin as genuine. Until eBay changes its rules coins like these are prohibited from sale on eBay.

Another from West Virginia: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392004068450?ViewItem=&item=392004068450

This listing (392004068450) has been removed, or this item is not available.
    Please check that you've entered the correct item number
    Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sarikanair said:
    That’s the reason why there is a little risk when you are buying coins from eBay. Though this particular 1888c is technically not a counterfeit, there have been many cases where the seller might increase the market value of coins or sell fake coins.

It is a counterfeit because it is represented as a genuine U.S. coin. It is also a counterfeit because it could be stuck in a roll of genuine coins to take up the space and passed as such. if each coin in a roll must be examined by hand to determine if it is genuine, you have the makings of fraud which impede the course of business.

I am really tired of this “fantasy coin” excuse. I’m with Roger. If it looks like a U.S. coin, with no markings on it that label it as a “COPY” or something similar, it is a counterfeit, therefore illegal.

What if the Chinese or North Koreans flooded this country with $100 bills that had everything right on them except the series date, would you be so supportive then? Of course you wouldn’t. The same concept applies here.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file