Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you call the "teeth" around the rim of some coins?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question? There seem to be several usages in print. I learned they were called denticles. I never heard "Dentil" used until a modern researcher (?) used it in a book (?) in the late 1980's(?) or early 1990's(?). The Macmillian Encyclopedic Dictionary of Numismatics (1982) defined denticles with no mention of dentils. Neither word is in a small dictionary - perhaps in the 6+ inch thick unabridged version. Apparently there is no wrong usage as today, either is correct. I'm curious and have two questions:

1 Do you use:

Dentil, Dentils?
or
Denticle, Denticles?

2 What and where is the earliest usage of either of these terms found?

I hope others are interested in this question too. :)

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dentils. Also used for woodworking accents.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Denticles (many teeth) Dentil (just one tooth)

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denticles in numismatics. For design or strength or aesthetics ? I don't know.
    Dentils, in contracting. As in "square tooth" , a decor most notably.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Most dictionaries specifically define a dentil as being square or rectangular, and a denticle as being tooth-like. Since these coin-rim projections often are rounded (as opposed to rectangular or square) but always are tooth-like, Whitman Publishing's house style is denticle.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Denticles in numismatics. For design or strength or aesthetics ? I don't know.
    Dentils, in contracting. As in "square tooth" , a decor most notably.

Perhaps that's how the word "dentils" wiggled its way into numismatics! Some guy with a woodworking hobby or architect with a coin hobby wrote a reference book!

Very important (at least to me), does anyone know the earliest know use of either word?

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always heard them called denticles.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most of us first saw the word in our early reading of the "Red Book". And Dentuck explained it well.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 12:52PM

Dent = tooth. Whatever is added to the root word after that is just an adjective.

To me they’re denticles, but you can even call it the jaggedie rim. All the same to me.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 1:14PM

Just to confuse a rather orderly discussion..... :naughty:

What would you call the design element around the rim of a Standing Liberty Quarter?

(It's a semi-serious question, in that there could/should be a general term for a "rim enhancing" design element, with denticles being a subset describing "those that look like teeth".)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve use the term denticles since the early 60s

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Denticles

Also my preferred use, but "dentils" seems OK, too. "Chompers" "chiclets" "grill," etc. do not work.... ;)

• Options
    edited March 8, 2018 1:26PM

@TommyType said:

What would you call the design element around the rim of a Standing Liberty Quarter?

(It's a semi-serious question, in that there could/should be a general term for a "rim enhancing" design element, with denticles being a subset describing "those that look like teeth".)

Rim ornaments
    Embellishments
    Artful additions

• Options

So...who where, and when was "Dentils" added to our lexicon? I personally hate the usage when applied to our coins!!!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@TommyType said:

Rim ornaments
    Embellishments
    Artful additions

Or how about drapery, garland or braiding.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited March 8, 2018 6:56PM

I'm having lunch and looking at our library. So far, Larry Briggs may have been the "ex-carpenter." In his 1991 book on quarters (I recommend it) he uses "dentils." :( let's see how far back we can find the term in print - please. :)

I'm going to bet the LSCC guys started this.

NOPE...Breen used it in his encyclopedia. 1988.

Lunch over. Taxay published in 1970, perhaps he mentioned them. Also need to check Penny Whimsy, and Newcomb later. Help! :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it was during WWII when they tried to conserve ink by shortening "denticles" to "dentils". Those few missing letters might just have helped win the war. :*

• Options

You really left yourself "open" about "saving something" with that post. :wink::p

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

Decorative border?
    Decorated border?
    Fancy-schmancy border?
    Morse code border?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always known them as Denticles.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 2:40PM

It looks like denticles is the proper word (for half dimes, since they are somewhat rounded), but I've been using dentils, as it's shorter.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denticles.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Taxay published in 197, perhaps he mentioned them."

Wow! Did not know Taxay was that old! Is that 197 BCE or CE?

• Options

@RogerB said:
    RE: "Taxay published in 197, perhaps he mentioned them."

Wow! Did not know Taxay was that old! Is that 197 BCE or CE?

Thanks, corrected to 1970.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like dentils, since you save a syllable every time you say it.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 7:10PM

@PBRat said:

Morse code border?

A true Morse Code border, on the reverse ...

We win when we work willingly

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't find the term in Penny Whimsy but gave up after about 100 pages. I did see the term edge devices used.

Larry

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I originally used denticle, but now mainly used dentil, mainly due to the numbers of letters and syllables.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 9:01PM

I originally used denticle but now at my age maybe I should consider dentures?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Oldest dentils/denticles in my collection, from the mid-11th century Bohemain Denar ...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The American numismatical manual of the currency or money of the aborigines and Colonial, State, and United States coins

in this book from around 1859 by Prof. Montroville W. Dickeson there may be a reference to the two terms. I have it, have not read it completely and am not about to do a search. it is probably available online and might be "searchable" for someone who is adept at that.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dentil -
    noun, Architecture.
    any of a series of closely spaced, small, rectangular blocks, used especially in classical architecture beneath the coronas of Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite cornices.

Denticle -
    noun
    a small tooth or toothlike part.

Looks as if both could be appropriate.... the online dictionary does not reference numismatics, so likely a borrowed term. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Edge or Rim Design ?

photo index.gif

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denticles, not to be confused with the Greek god of border decoration, Denticles (different pronunciation).

• Options

@ricko said:
    Dentil -
    noun, Architecture.
    any of a series of closely spaced, small, rectangular blocks, used especially in classical architecture beneath the coronas of Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite cornices.

Denticle -
    noun
    a small tooth or toothlike part.

Looks as if both could be appropriate.... the online dictionary does not reference numismatics, so likely a borrowed term. Cheers, RickO

This and at least one poster before this (2 sides) has convinced me (using definitions I did not find) that "Dentil" is an INCORRECT USAGE" when applied to coins. My opinion will not change anything; yet while I'm alive, I'm going to do my best to rid numismatics of "dentil." >:)

PS An also of "Net Grading" practices. :p

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dentil Denial?
    :)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

dentil is associated with architecture.
    denticle is associated with biology or archeology.

dentil would appear to be the more proper or most closely aligned word, though denticle is the more common usage today. word usage changes over time but in this instance it seems that the more proper word has fallen out of usage as a more comfortable word has replaced it.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@Insider2 said:

@TommyType said:

Rim ornaments
    Embellishments
    Artful additions

Or how about drapery, garland or braiding.

"Rim ornamentation" is what I use. It becomes "denticle" when it is a Denticle.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@TommyType said:

Decorative border?
    Decorated border?
    Fancy-schmancy border?
    Morse code border?

It seems to me I have read "bead and reed" or "bead and reel" somewhere but don't recall where. I did find "reed" easily in reference to the 1916 Liberty's bisecting the one above her head in Jay Cline's reference.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@keets said:
    dentil is associated with architecture.
    denticle is associated with biology or archeology.

dentil would appear to be the more proper or most closely aligned word, though denticle is the more common usage today. word usage changes over time but in this instance it seems that the more proper word has fallen out of usage as a more comfortable word has replaced it.

Yeah, sorta like "cud" being shortened to "major die break." Let's see the return of "double die" also. :)

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2018 11:42AM

@giorgio11 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@TommyType said:

Decorative border?
    Decorated border?
    Fancy-schmancy border?
    Morse code border?

It seems to me I have read "bead and reed" or "bead and reel" somewhere but don't recall where. I did find "reed" easily in reference to the 1916 Liberty's bisecting the one above her head in Jay Cline's reference.

Kind regards,

George

Reeds are on the coins side (thickness), I believe they are talking at the edge of the surface of the obverse / reverse. Rgds

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm aware of that but I nonetheless have seen this phrase somewhere in relation to the decorative element around the rim. Thanks @blitzdude. I think I filed it away mentally as "hmm, I never knew what to call that before."

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive always heard Denticles and some times beads by the young collectors.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is this interesting background on why they were used, cynical me, I was thinking they were used to discourage two-bit chiselers:

"Denticles are small, toothlike design elements all the way around the perimeter of some coins, especially of the 18th and 19th centuries. Although it is not exactly known why the United States Mint decided to put denticles on coins, there are several theories. Here are a few of them:
    Artistic License
    It is most commonly believed that these decorative designs were added to coins in order to help frame the subjects featured on the coins. It gives the illusion of a thicker rim while at the same time providing a decorative component to a utilitarian feature of a coin.

Better Protection
    "The primary purpose of the rim on a coin is to help to protect the design elements from wearing away prematurely. A thicker rim would last longer and give better protection to the highest points on the design elements.
    Ease of Striking
    A thicker rim would provide better protection to the design elements of the coin but it would be more difficult to strike. If you look at a comment United States coin you will see a raised flat surface around the entire circumference of the coin. If this was made thicker in order to provide additional protection, it may impact the artistic design of the coin. Additionally, it could cause problems in the striking process and the quality of coins would suffer.
    Early American Coinage History
    Most coinage produced in the 18th and 19th century had denticles around the rims of the coins. Keep in mind, that these coins were struck on the coining press that was operated by hand.

"A mint worker would have to use extreme force on a spindle attached to the top of the coining press in order to achieve enough pressure to impart the design on the planchet.

"Modern coining presses also use a collar to help form the coin during the striking process. In the early days of the mint, coining collars were not used and the metal was allowed to flow freely outward.

"This led to inconsistent diameters and edges that were rounded instead of square.

"It is thought that the addition of denticles around the rim would help restrict the metal flow so that the design elements in the deepest recesses of the coining die would fill in during the striking process. It is not known for certain if this really helped produce better quality coins.

"Currently, the United States Mint uses modern coining presses that can achieve tremendous pressure at a consistent rate. Therefore, the use of denticles around the rim of the coin is no longer mechanically necessary. However, you might see it return to a United States coins if an artist so chooses to use it."https://www.thespruce.com/denticles-on-coins-768440

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

The Newman Numismatic Portal has a few instances of dentil from the 1940s and '50s. I haven't searched further back than 1910.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2018 2:09PM

@Dentuck Thanks, but need the reference book you found it in for verification.

@blitzdude posted: "Reeds are on the coins side (thickness), I believe they are talking at the edge of the surface of the obverse / reverse. Rgds"

Thanks for clarifying what we have been discussing for anyone who did not know the difference between a coin's edge reeds and its toothed border (when present). :o

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cat was referring to the dentils as reeds. I simply corrected it. I know what is being discussed up in here. Rgds

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2018 5:28AM

a few instances of dentil from the 1940s and '50s.

Dentuck, did you find that reference in a sales catalogue of some kind?? it seems to me that will be where the term(s) will be most likely to be found. I have seen it many times as "dentil" and suppose that it is a term used by certain cataloguers. the instances that are most recent for me were back around 2002-05 when I used to travel up to Dearborn for the MSNS Thanksgiving weekend show. they always had an auction on Saturday night and the auctioneer was Craig Whitford. Dentil seemed to be his choice when describing things.

I have quite a number of old sales catalogues and "Numismatist" copies pre-WWII that may have a reference to the two words.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file