Home Precious Metals
Options

Are Central Banks the main cause of the high Gold/Silver ratio?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Central Banks seem to like gold and have no respect for silver. If it weren't for their gold purchases, the gold/silver ratio might be dramatically lower. Thoughts?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

ratio is based strictly on spot prices. central banks don't drive gold price, the futures market does where most buyers and sellers never transfer any physical silver, just promises. Silver is currently a sleeper.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    ratio is based strictly on spot prices. central banks don't drive gold price, the futures market does where most buyers and sellers never transfer any physical silver, just promises. Silver is currently a sleeper.

Just like every commodity.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Central Banks seem to like gold and have no respect for silver. If it weren't for their gold purchases, the gold/silver ratio might be dramatically lower. Thoughts?

The futures markets, as indicated above, dictate the price of PM's. However, some conspiracy advocates indicate, that the banks manipulate the futures market.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There has been evidence....past and recent present.... that manipulation does occur....How much and when is a guess for most of us...IMO, silver is currently undervalued, and, because of it's value in technology, medicine and other areas, I do believe it will, at some point, see a significant increase and hold. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id like to go on record as saying I think the ratio is nonsense and has no significance whatsoever.

• Options

I'm not suggesting that Central Banks intend to manipulate the price of gold. I'm only saying that demand from Central Banks moves prices, just like demand from anyone else. And I'm wondering where gold prices would be today without demand from the Central Banks. Just wondering...

Andy Lustig

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    There has been evidence....past and recent present.... that manipulation does occur....How much and when is a guess for most of us...IMO, silver is currently undervalued, and, because of it's value in technology, medicine and other areas, I do believe it will, at some point, see a significant increase and hold. Cheers, RickO

ricko. Some form of manipulation occurs in all aspects of your life. From the time you are born, to the time you "met your maker." Silver is undervalued do to lack of demand by the forces, ( coin & bullion, industrial & futures ) that dictate the price. It's as simple as that.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@MrEureka said:
    I'm not suggesting that Central Banks intend to manipulate the price of gold. I'm only saying that demand from Central Banks moves prices, just like demand from anyone else. And I'm wondering where gold prices would be today without demand from the Central Banks. Just wondering...

I think they intend to manipulate it. Every member of the greater finance industry is crooked so whenever something can be manipulated for a profit it is being manipulated relentlessly.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Id like to go on record as saying I think the ratio is nonsense and has no significance whatsoever.

If the price of gold has significance and the price of silver has significance, then the ratio has significance. Not that that significance is obvious in any way.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ratio is where it is because of the futures paper market not because of the amount of physical that central banks are purchasing. I always find it funny when everyone is always screaming manipulation when prices go down or stay flat. Never any cries of manipulation when silver was being pumped up to $50.

Perhaps someday the physical market will decouple from the paper market or perhaps maybe not. Do I personally think physical silver is cheap? In relation to the paper debt market you better believe it. Enjoy the gift, stack on.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2018 6:03PM

@MrEureka said:

@bronco2078 said:

If the price of gold has significance and the price of silver has significance, then the ratio has significance. Not that that significance is obvious in any way.

Using the GSR to decide how to invest in metals is right up there with choosing a spouse based on their astrological sign.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2018 6:19AM

Historical relationships can be a very valuable investing tool. Relative value is one of my key tools

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Historical relationships can be a very valuable investing tool. Relative value is one of my key tools

"Past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes"

I don't worry about ratios. I buy my ASE's and my Pre-33 when I get good prices.

• Options

@ShadyDave said:

I don't worry about ratios. I buy my ASE's and my Pre-33 when I get good prices.

ratios indicate which of the two is the better price.

• Options

@ShadyDave said:

@cohodk said:

"Past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes"

That statement has been proven wrong over and over.

A good process is repeatable and predictable.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Central banks seem to like status quo, more than gold. Ah, but gold is the next best bet, so it's relative to having greater strength when opportunity presents itself.
    Thus, the larger spread with the GSR. I like metal, either way.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2018 6:25PM

The Gold to Silver ratio is one of the tools out there for helping to determine pm price movements. I've tracked it for the past 10 years, and use various time frames and oscillators to help nail it down. Stoch-RSI, CCI are two of them. Sometimes turns with PMs are signaled by GSR shifts. GSR is a fairly well known "liquidity" indicator, somewhat like the Yen/Euro ratio. Liquidity moves help to identify changes in money flow. GSR tends to cycle between 45-65. The extremes of 65-85 and 25-45 are far less traveled. GSR has been in rally mode for almost 8 years. It's chart pattern, TA structures, and cycles are studied by many. CCI extreme peaks in GSR and longish daily cycles of 21-27 days can often support a PM shift right around the corner.

It's also true that GSR seems WAY overdue for a major bottom. The previous 2 major peaks were 7.5 yrs apart...well past the 4-6 yr norm. A GSR major low seems a lot more likely in the foreseeable future than GSR heading to 85-100 for yet another major high. A GSR low by around Jan 2020 would coincide with Armstrong's ECM. GSR has also moved fairly well in step with the USDollar since 2011. The dollar index has been routed from 103 down to 88 recently. Have to wonder what's been keeping the GSR elevated in the 78-81 range for quite some time. 3 thoughts on that. If gold can finally take out $1366 (89 month moving average)....then silver should make a move. Understand that silver is often late to the party during PM rallies. In the 1970's gold out-performed silver the entire decade....up until spring 1979....when silver took off like a rocket on the backs of the Hunts trying to corner physical silver. Silver was 2 years late to join gold during the 2001-2011 rally period. Silver actually was flat while gold rose 53% from 2000-October 2003. The same angles can be debated among GDX/gold and GDXJ/gold. All these ratios tend to be meaningful. Same for GDX/SPY and Gold/SPY.

The 20 yr GSR chart looks quite bullish because of H&S, or cup with handle patterns. 82-83 has been resistance for the past 15-20 yrs. It's coming up to that point again...which could mark a major rule of 4 break out. The chart patterns could send it skying. On the bearish side is the 20 yr - 7 wave expanded wedge in play. Hugely volatile. The projections would be for either massive highs (100+) or massive lows (under 30). To go high, it needs the support of a rallying USDollar index and USD/Yen. To go low it needs the USD/yen and USDX to crash. Review GSR and SGR analysis by chartist/trader/analyst Bob Hoye on some of the public blogs. He's one of the most notable traders who use it....and use it well.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this just for silver and gold. That's why I don't fool with platinum or palladium.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 9:41AM

To answer the original question. Are central banks responsible for the high GSR of 80+? No more than they might have been responsible for the low GSR of 31 back in 2011. While they might be the major influence in the American PM futures markets, they aren't the only player of size. But as in July 2008 when the US central banks were carrying $650 BILL in otc gold derivatives (3-4 yrs equivalent of world gold production) and $200 BILL in otc silver derivatives (13 yrs of world production)....they can heavily over-weight the markets. In 2008 they were largely responsible for moving GSR from around 49 to 70 in only 7 months.

Even if every major silver producer in the world back in 2008 was 100% long silver in their positioning....the US banks were 13X that size on "paper" shorts. It's also cyclically true that high GSRs lead to low ones....and vice versa. Regression to the mean. The 7 year rally in GSR has moved it from 31 into the low 80's. It's been high and low many times in the past 50 years. That's really the only truism....it will cycle between major highs and lows.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2018 8:33AM

https://goldsilver.com/blog/time-to-favor-silver-a-goldsilver-ratio-update/

In the past 50 yrs the ratio has been between 16 and 98 (103 via another source). The ratio has only been higher than current levels about 13% of the time. Using that logic, the odds favor silver by 13X in the foreseeable future.

Caution. The GSR spot chart still has the chart pattern "potential" to rise from the current 81 into the 90's.

• Options

@OPA said:

The futures markets, as indicated above, dictate the price of PM's. However, some conspiracy advocates indicate, that the banks manipulate the futures market.

More than enough actual, real evidence (and stiff fines) to prove that this is more than a theory. Regulators have repeatedly proven the conspiracy.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2018 7:44PM

The only way I think silver can go up at this point is when enough people hate it to the point no one cares

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    The only way I think silver can go up at this point is when enough people hate it to the point no one cares

mark

Are we there?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Are we there?

No but we're getting close. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.