Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Upgrading a circulated commemorative set with an MS63?

My set of circulated commemoratives currently has a (former) PCGS AU58 York County commemorative. I'm considering upgrading this coin to the PCGS MS63 below which I find more eye appealing and believe matches the later issues in my set better. However, this coin is not circulated. Would you upgrade to the MS63? I'm curious how many would draw a hard line for the grade in one of the tougher types for a circulated set.

In my mind, eye appeal and the 'look' of a coin is more important than grade when putting together a matching set.

AU58

MS63

Zach

Comments

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer the 58, can't give u a solid reason as to why. I am just not a "toner" person. I don't like the toning on the 63. Just my opinion. Good luck on ur choice. thanks rln

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2018 11:12PM

I'd be more focused on the better coin to my eye and less focused on the "matching set". But that's just me. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one of these coins, but if you forced me to pick one I'd take the 63.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd stick with my original goal for the set. There are some very nice AU coins out there. Patience is the key.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep the 58.... I prefer that look over the 63. Your set, your choice....The visual of the 58 is more appealing for my taste. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The York might be rare in AU-58 and less than common in MS-63. It's one of those mid 1930s commemorative coins that almost always found nice.

As an eye appeal collector, I would always go for the coin that pleased me and not get hung up on grades. I once dumped an MS-65 Roanoke for an MS-64 because the lower grade coin was more attractive ("registry set suicide"). I too would not hung up on a uniformly graded set, but that appears to be your goal. There are some coins, like the Antietam, which is very hard to find below Mint State. When you find it, you will almost as much as you will pay for the Choice or Gem Mint State piece. It makes no sense to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally found that upgrades of that type ended up as a waste. The new coin is just not that much better than the old one and just leaves you with an unwanted duplicate.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 63 better, but it depends on what you want for your set.

• Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

+1 for the 58 over the 63

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

That AU58 has a nice gold tone to it. MS 63 looks on the blah side

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file