Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin albums...show em if you got em!

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see some pics from members who still put albums together.
I've put together a few...right now I am trying to figure out how to display my on-going eclectic type set.
It started out as a 7070 of odd things such as counterstamped pieces, love tokens and contemporary counterfeits, but I am having some serious issues with the 7070 album.
The small coins do not present well at all..there are not enough slots for certain denominations and too many for others.
Curious if anyone here has come up with any great ways to display/house similar collections?
I'd love to see some examples :)

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have moved to all digital albums on this site. Photography is a pain, but the end result is convenient.

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1937-mint-set/album/136844

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

All counterstamped? Wow!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of albums... have not been adding to them for over ten years.... Franklins, Kennedy's, and, I think I have a partial one of Mercs.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice albums and coins all

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure is a lot of albums @bsshog40 , very nice :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Totally great stuff :)
    I'll post a few more pics later..
    Im still looking for ideas on how to show love tokens and mixed denominations best.
    Has anyone used the cointain style albums?
    Might be cool.
    I wouldnt mind popping everything into a cool 2x2 folder maybe...but you cant really take them out easily.
    Hoping to find a solution here..

• Options

@jayPem
    Some great items there that really descriptively speak of history :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Digital, then the coins can stay in the SDB :smile:

Editted to add: This 'poster' was done completely using only Microsoft Word. :smile:

WORD huh?
    That's a new one on me.
    Nice

• Options

Very cool Lance how your album transitions from brown to red!
    I had one of those same Walker albums too..did the same thing for awhile, plugging in from bulk 90% buys...
    Only album I've completed was Peace dollars. Old post here somewhere but no longer with images I'm sure. Gone forever..:(

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks jaypem for starting this thread, I like the topic. Collecting coins in albums is the essence of coin collecting imho I am working Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters, Franklin and Kennedy halves albums myself, no pics yet sorry, thanks rln

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zrlevin I am absolutely in love with those early commems! I tried working on a "circulated cameo" set of those maybe ten years ago, I kept mine in an old Whitman Bookshelf album. You have some very tough coins in there.

@lkeigwin I am equally impressed by and jealous of that Lincoln Dansco set. I have a partial set in a single volume that I started back in the late 1980s, you're motivating me to pull that our and see what I need to complete it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

@zrlevin
    Outstanding set of commemoratives! LOVE the 'circulated cameo" look.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the colour of the Mehrig album pages.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

In lieu of pictures believe me when I say it’s my favorite way to collect.

• Options

I cannot afford the coins to fill most albums, so I decided to just collect the empty albums instead. Here are my bookshelves of Whitman Bookshelf albums. The first pic is mainy US coins, the second includes many Canada, Great Britain, and other foreign or private issue books.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a completed "Library of Coins" type set? Those things have a spot for everything.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

While, the don't have any coins in them at the moment, I have these old coin albums I got from an old timers collection ages ago. Even still has the prices he paid for these coins back in the 50s / 60s. The 1860 quarter that he paid 0.35 for later sold for over $13K.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old Wayte Raymond albums best. Here's one of the pages.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've put a 3 of these together over the years. Once they're complete it gets easy, I bought 3 2018's this year and put the albums away till next year.
    photo IMG_2642.jpg
    photo IMG_2643.jpg
    photo IMG_2644.jpg

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome stuff guys.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

So many cool albums coming out of the woodwork!
    Shucks, keep em coming :)
    It's uplifting to see the humble side of the hobby going strong...and I do love the wow stuff that is very strong on this forum, but...also been a huge fan of members like Lord Marcovan, holedandcreative,
    pocketpiececommems, and many others...another side of the forum and collecting.
    Keep it real :)

• Options

Here are a few more fun coins from my current album project...obviously in the wrong holes.
    Another reason I'm needing to put this collection into a different album.
    The 7070 just isn't working...;)

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a great thread
    That is old style collecting and I love it!!!!!!!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@Mission16
    I never saw one of those Whitman folders before, that is 'neat' :smile:

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MASSU2 said:
    Here's my pride and joy that I just recently completed. Standard Dansco album, Morgan date set in MS-63-ish with the 3 93/94/95 Keys in AU-53/55. I tried not to go totally all common dates so I fill in with a few lower minted dates to add some "excitement" to the set . 1878 8TF, 1899 and an couple of extra CC's in addition to the mint mark CC.

Sweet album. That is also a GREAT idea to keep the inserts orderly if you crack a coin out of a holder to put it in an album. Thanks for letting me steal your idea ;)

• Options
    edited March 6, 2018 11:57AM

• Options

@topstuf That Whitman Bookshelf Mexico type album is super hard to find, it is the only one that I know I am missing from the foreign type series. I missed out on a cheap one buried in a group lot on eBay last month by about 90 minutes. If you have a spare lying around, let me know.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    @topstuf That Whitman Bookshelf Mexico type album is super hard to find, it is the only one that I know I am missing from the foreign type series. I missed out on a cheap one buried in a group lot on eBay last month by about 90 minutes. If you have a spare lying around, let me know.

>

I will take one as well thanks

all around collector of many fine things

• Options

I don't even have it anymore.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    @Mission16
    I never saw one of those Whitman folders before, that is 'neat' :smile:

It's the only one I've ever seen. It's small, only about 3" by 4"
    I found it going through some odds and ends from my fathers estate.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

A man bought several years worth of proof and mint sets from me., back a few years ago ( grey sheet ask prices as I recall ).

About a year ago, or so, he brings in some of the most attractive coins in albums . Granted, they were modern and going back to the late fifties but....

It wowed me, honestly . Seeing them chronologically presented in book form.

I said, “some of these should be graded” then asked “you cut all these out of mint sets ? “
    He said, “you cracked out the commemorative half , in my 7070 Set, remember ? “. I laughed and said “yeah, and I remember paying to have it graded at PCGS, too “.
    This is a wonderful hobby, after all.
    And there is room for many.

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file