Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought a couple Buffs tonight...

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 25, 2018 9:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions please. I love the 1938-D and it color. The die the 1913 was so worn out. But I like the roughness of a good early Buff. Do you think its still worthy of the MS66 grade? My goal was to get nice examples of a type 1 and type 2 in the same grade for my collection. I can return on both if I'm not satisfied. I think the 1938-D might have come from a forum member considering the photo. Please let me know what you think. I paid probably too much for one and got a good deal on the other, so financially its a wash. I'm not too worried about that. I just want nice examples.

Comments

• Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Look great to me !!
    That 38 is sultry !!

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

With regards to the 1913, if the worn die is your thing, I’m sure the luster supports the 66 grade. I have no doubt it can be argued you can get “more” for your money for the grade, but I think it is technically correct.

With regards to the 1938, I hope you do not take offense if I say I am not wowed by the piece for the grade, regardless of CAC sticker. Depending on your taste, I think you find something with more luster, a better stike, more color, or some combination of all three for the grade.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

I think they're both neat.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

That '13 is a real beauty, even without the strong strike

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

What really makes the 1938-D Buff is the clean fields it does possess. I don't see any marks in the fields.

As far as the 1913 goes, as mentioned, the strike is a bit lacking, but the coin has that "rough look" that Type 1 collectors love.

I like the coin, but strikewise I don't like the 66 grade.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are both worthy of their grade. I love the toning on that 38-D.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are both nice Buffs.... and if they fit your theme in the series, you have two winners. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will fit nicely In my collection. my only concern is that I have seen the "rough" looking 1913's with stronger strikes. I will obviously have to get it in hand before I make my decision, but "Liberty" in the pic is barely legible. That die was really on its last leg. I bet I can talk myself into it. Probably should have held out for a CACed example. Who knows?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both nice coins, I would be happy with them if they look like the photos (no reason to doubt they would either). I love the texture on the 1913 type 1!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the looks of both Buffs. The die used on the 13 had seen it's better days but the luster looks to be booming and beaming, so be happy. I know I sure would :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file