Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@BGS_Buyer said:

@bensie said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

would it even matter if I posted the amount ?

funny stuff on here

Yeah, you're balling out of control over here. That's why you're sweating a guy who is ripping $15 boxes of 80s wax. You were right about one thing though...funny stuff on here for sure. LMAO.

and what are you talking about ?
    who was balling ?
    you mean BAWLING ?

go find your father
    maybe he can explain the difference to you

"balling" .... now, THAT's LMAO

............ I hope ripping them was fun, because the results are as I said they would be, aren't they ???

This is a great thread and nobody is disagreeing about the economic sense this makes. OP made it clear in the first post that it was for fun and nostalgia. Point made, let’s move on.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

@bensie said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

funny stuff on here

Yeah, you're balling out of control over here. That's why you're sweating a guy who is ripping $15 boxes of 80s wax. You were right about one thing though...funny stuff on here for sure. LMAO.

who was balling ?
    you mean BAWLING ?

go find your father

............ I hope ripping them was fun, because the results are as I said they would be, aren't they ???

This is a great thread and nobody is disagreeing about the economic sense this makes. OP made it clear in the first post that it was for fun and nostalgia. Point made, let’s move on.

Well said. Not sure why that concept is so difficult to comprehend.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

@bensie said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

funny stuff on here

who was balling ?
    you mean BAWLING ?

go find your father

did you tell bennie boy the same thing, or just me ???

• Options

wow
    I stated TWO things

bot that what he was doing was stupid, but to consider the grading cost

and two, ripping 81-85 boxes expecting good results is crazy

I'm not the one wetting my shorts

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

People, c'mon, Internet 101. DO NOT feed the trolls. Just stop responding to him and allow Chris to have his thread.

I'm looking forward to some more ripping. Good luck, Chris!

Arthur

• Options
    edited March 13, 2018 4:50PM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    People, c'mon, Internet 101. DO NOT feed the trolls. Just stop responding to him and allow Chris to have his thread.

I'm looking forward to some more ripping. Good luck, Chris!

Arthur

Cry some more to the moderator

and I love your world class card collection you displayed
    4SC ?

adios

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to get back to ripping some more boxes and packs. Up for tonight, 1986 Topps Vending box and the next (4) 1985 Topps rack packs from our box...

• Options

Man those 1986 Topps are tough. Plenty of stars in the box, but only a single card worthy of GEM MINT status...

Maybe we can find some throwback RC’s in the 85’s.

• Options

Great stuff! Can't wait till you get back to the early 80s. Thanks again for sharing these results.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

The centering just isn’t where it needs to be on this 1985 rack box. There were plenty of stars in the four racks though…

And there was also a nice selection of some of the iconic rookie cards…

While not the centering I was envisioning, it is always fun to pull a Clemens and Gooden RC. A total dream from my childhood.

I like Tim’s suggestion, let’s start to open a few packs from further back.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

this is awesome. You are going to have so much fun assembling these sets.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited March 14, 2018 5:24PM

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    While there aren’t any major rookies from 1981,

There was Harold Baines!

• Options

Just back from dinner. Alright...let’s bust a few packs...

• Options

I am guessing this group will want me to err on the side of providing more pictures versus less as I break the older material. Speaking of broken, here’s what the gum looked like in the first pack…

Just glad the gum was loose and not stuck to any cards. Here were the contents of the first pack..

And one early contender! Just hoping this centering keeps up through the box...

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Fun fact: Jerry Reuss has aged only 3 years since that photo was taken.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't take credit. It was pilfered from another thread. Always good for a chuckle, though...

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I can't take credit. It was pilfered from another thread. Always good for a chuckle, though...

Haha...yeah, mine would be either “altered” or “min size”...that is one nice 10 though!

• Options

Pack #2 contents...

When these beauties are centered with sharp corners and edges and no print flaws, they are like little works of art!

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

The print quality of the 1981 set is no bueno. Tons of specks.

• Options

Pack #3...nice Schmidt, but the tiny print dots near the NL hold it back...

But what do you think about these three?

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is so much fun that I wish it would extend into including hockey, basketball and football too.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    This thread is so much fun that I wish it would extend into including hockey, basketball and football too.

All good things in time ;)

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2018 7:42PM

I am embarrassed to say I almost have tears in my eyes seeing these cards again from a new pack.

Nostalgia for the vast majority is due to the past being a happier time. A time of health, happiness, and no responsibility.

• Options

Pack #4...last one for the night...

This one is soooo close, but the tiny fish eye above pitcher means I have to throw this fish back in the pond...sigh...

• Options

@JWBlue said:
    I am embarrassed to say I almost have tears seeing these cards again.

>
    Don’t be embarrassed by that...that is what this thread is for. Glad others are enjoying the ride too!!

• Options

Centering on the 81s looks very nice! This is a tough set and when you get a box like this one, cherish it!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of those 81's look really nice.

One of my favorites? Brett.

I've enjoyed this thread Chris.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Some of those 81's look really nice.

One of my favorites? Brett.

I've enjoyed this thread Chris.

Thanks Mike! Hope Brett makes a GEM appearance soon.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I am a firm believer that the only way to buy vending boxes is from a sealed case. A clean vending box should have this alternating striped pattern when coming directly from the factory.

That's how factory sets come as well when first opened...BTW how exactly is that stripe pattern made anyway?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@Stone193 said:
    I like the white/black borders on 86T Chris.

The 89T brought back a memory - it was 1992 at the National in Atlanta - Mike Baker who worked for PSA talked to me about PSA which was on the young side then - he gave me a "sample" which is kind of like a piece of PSA history.

You know, if it's not true already, I would not be at all surprised if those "sample" PSA cards (with the old fashioned label printing of that era) are worth some good coin. I mean this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing and you have to figure, there can't be very many of these right?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

It's still early but it looks like you got an exceptionally well printed box of 81s there. All the colors are bright and full. So many '81s come out of the pack looking like they spent a week on the beach. Good luck!

Arthur

• Options

Just wanted to add to the discussion with respect to this 87D set they produced in massive quantities.

Bought these cheap - but not cheap enough - I'll bet there isn't one cello that in the process of sealing didn't crap up the corners.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Just wanted to add to the discussion with respect to this 87D set they produced in massive quantities.

Bought these cheap - but not cheap enough - I'll bet there isn't one cello that in the process of sealing didn't crap up the corners.

>

Love the pictures Mike...thanks for sharing!

Interestingly, you can tell cards from the pack versus those from a Donruss Factory Set on the base issue. The name on the back alignes with the left side of the card front for pack pulled cards. The name on the back is flipped in orientation on the factory set cards to align with the right side of the front of the card. Personally, I feel that high grade factory set cards are “cheating” since the edges can be graded as mint despite the slight rounding. Therefore, only pack pulled gems will make my cut. Obviously the set that Mike is showing only came in factory form, so those are all fair game for that gem grade.

• Options

Here is the appetizer for tonight. More of those dreaded orange bracks, but hopefully we can find a few more PSA 10 candidates…

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did Donruss Rookies even come in packs in 1987? I thought they were all in factory sets, but then I thought the same for 1985 Topps Traded.

Alex Relyea

• Options

@daltex said:
    Did Donruss Rookies even come in packs in 1987? I thought they were all in factory sets, but then I thought the same for 1985 Topps Traded.

Alex Relyea

Factory sets only, same as Topps Traded.

• Options

Well that was a quick rip, and not a single candidate for PSA 10. There were plenty of stars though…

• Options

I am becoming increasingly convinced that Topps realized it had a gold mine by 1985 as the hobby began to explode. I know you’re going to say I’m crazy, but starting in 1986 the production quality took a huge nose dive. Everyone is thinking that they have boxes, sets and singles that went straight into binders after 1986 and therefore are sitting on tons of GEM MINT copies of each card. I can tell you firsthand that you can open these straight from mint cases and still not find high grade PSA 10 cards. The cards are almost always off center, have poorly cut edges leading to chipping, or have blurry images and print defects galore. Topps was cranking these out as fast as they could knowing that every single one of them would sell. For those keeping track, I have only found 17 candidates for PSA 10 out of 2500 pack fresh 1988 cards (0.7%). Maybe this is just a bad case, and time will tell. They made about 1 billion of each card, so I will have plenty to choose from :D

• Options

Let’s go back a little further to see what we find...

• Options

Chris, I did some super nerd research about 4-5 years ago and ended up coming across some internal Donruss documents from the 1980s. Their sales essentially doubled every year starting in 1986. I have to imagine that roughly the same went for Topps, perhaps even more. They probably could not print the cards fast enough at some point. QC just went out the window.

Arthur

• Options

Unfortunately the centering on this 1985 rack box doesn’t look like it’s going to improve. It will still be a fun break and there will be stars and rookies, but I don’t think we’re going to find any dead centered cards. Here were the handful of rookies and stars in these two rack packs...

It looks like tonight is going to be a bad night for contenders. Maybe these four packs of 1981 will change our luck

• Options

Pack #5 from the box...

While there were no GEM contenders, these two are batteling it out for best head of hair in baseball. My vote goes to Ross by a whisker...

• Options

Pack #6...

After (2) 1988 Topps Vending boxes, (2) 1985 Topps rack packs and (2) 1981 Topps wax packs, we finally have our first contender of the night!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vuck wins the mustache category though.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Vuck wins the mustache category though.

“When this guy sneezes, he looks like a party favor.” - Bob Uecker (Major League 1989)

• Options

Pack #7...

When these cards are clean, they sure are pretty…

• Options

Pack #8 from the box to wrap up the night...

• Options

Cool stash!

I was at Columbia U. when he played for the Yanks - saw 2 great WS that they won.

A friend gave me Lyle's book when it came out and a few years ago I picked up an autographed copy of the Bronx Zoo.

Was a good read on the team, owners, management...

Mike