Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

1987 Topps are a complete disaster. I am hoping that was just a very unlucky box in terms of card quality. If that is typical, these will make the 1987 Donruss look like a walk in the park. Out of the 744 cards in this cello box, only 1 card was centered. Luckily it also had four sharp corners and no print defects...so it has a good shot at a 10...

None of the top RC made an appearance in this box. The distribution was terrible and I pulled 2-3 each of the same handful of stars. Since he has been getting love in this thread, here is Ruben...

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a great adventure you are having. man I would love to open one box of each that would be fun to do again. I would really like 82 and 83 topps those are my favorite 80's sets.

• Options

In the spirit of research, I had to break one more 1987 Topps cello box just to see if the condition improved. It did not. For those keeping count, I only found 3 cards that have the potential to be graded a 10 out of 1488 pack fresh cards. That is only 0.2% of pack fresh cards!!!

I know what you are thinking. Chris, come back to earth, these are completely worthless 1987 Topps baseball cards. I can tell you that when you find a dead nuts centered card with full gloss and dripping with fresh ink, it is truly a beautiful sight to behold. The vast majority of these cards are centered 70/30 or worse, have terrible registration since the ink does not line up, and have faded colors because they laid the sheets together before they fully dried. Here are the two contenders that came out of the second box…

Oh, and these guys made an appearance too...

I loved this McGwire card as a kid. In 1987, as a MLB rookie, a young Mark was in the process of bashing 49 home runs that season. This was one of the hottest cards going. It wasn’t until a year later, that I realized this wasn’t even his rookie card. I didn’t realize he was part of the team USA set two years earlier in the 1985 Topps issue. Speaking of that, maybe that’s what we should rip some of next…

• Options

Here is what the racks look like up close. They each contain 50 cards + 1 Topps All-Star Glossy card exclusively in rack packs.

For those who like stars on the top/bottom of packs, here are two of the four packs I have lifted out of the box...

I have never personally liked stars on the backs of packs, so these two will be ripped.

• Options

The cards in the four racks were coming out crisp, but centering is all over the place. Here are the stars and yesteryear prospects...no major RC sightings yet.

Speaking of centering, I didn’t realize Topps did puzzles in 1985. Maybe if I put these together I will be able to have a full card. Eeeeesssshhh...

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2018 9:19PM

Weird. I do not recall back in 1985 getting cards this poorly centered. From what I recall it was a rarity actually.

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited March 9, 2018 9:38PM

Wow, the centering on those 85s is abysmal. Reminds me of the 1986 vending box I ripped. I think there was maybe one card that had a shot at psa 8. It was so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to rip the other 2 vending boxes I have.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2018 9:41PM

@BGS_Buyer said:

would it even matter if I posted the amount ?

funny stuff on here

Yeah, you're balling out of control over here. That's why you're sweating a guy who is ripping $15 boxes of 80s wax. You were right about one thing though...funny stuff on here for sure. LMAO.

• Options

Up next are case fresh Topps vending boxes from 1986, 1988 and 1989. I just broke the seal on all three cases. Is it odd that I am equally excited to be opening the 1988 vending box as I was to open the 1985 rack packs last night? I have not opened any 1988 Topps cards since 1988. They should bring back an awesome flood of memories. Topps always released their baseball cards just before Christmas and I distinctly remember my parents buying me two wax boxes for our long car trip to my grandparents during the holiday break. I felt like I was the king of the world since I had two fresh wax boxes to try to build a set.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 12:34PM

1988 Topps Baseball was the first factory set I ever had as it was a gift for Christmas when I was 4 years old. Probably the least respectable Topps set ever, but will always hold a special place with me. I would love to do a high grade PSA set someday of it. I can remember the Matt Williams RC being THE card in that set lol...good luck and let’s see some orange backs!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

I am having so much fun panning through my childhood. These cards bring back so many memories of spending hours trading with my friends. As expected, the production quality continues to be incredibly poor even as you pull them straight from unopened boxes. Centering is a bit of a challenge on this issue, but the bigger obstacle is finding these cards with no knicks on the edges or the corners. That could be a function of how vending cards are loaded into the tight outer box though.

Out of 500 cards, only five have a shot at a PSA 10. Here they are…

The key RC’s of Sheffield, Johnson and Biggio all made an appearance.

And anyone prospecting back in the day will certainly remember these guys. A former #1 pick, a former ROY and a 50 HR PED stud in the mix. I was convinced Ricky Jordan was the real deal too...oops!

Oh yeah...and the RC of the guy who changed the way GMs construct teams. Money Ball!!

• Options

@Gemyanks10 said:
    1988 Topps Baseball was probably the least respectable Topps set ever, but will always hold a special place with me.

I could not agree more. I now remember why I haven’t opened any of these since 1988. The design on this set is absolutely dreadful. However, it was fun to remember the images from this year on some of the star player cards. Consistent with the 1987 and 1989 Topps, The production quality on these is equally poor. Centering continues to be a challenge, and there are tons of print flaws on these cards. Out of 500 cards, only 2 have a chance at the elusive PSA 10. That is less than 0.5% of the case fresh cards. I get that these cards are not rare based on production runs, but finding PSA 10s is a challenge given the very poor quality and rate at which they were produced. Here are the two candidates…

Does anyone else remember these can’t miss prospects?

And here is a McGwire ERR with the whiteout behind his foot. Oh the days of the error craze!

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@Gemyanks10 said:
    1988 Topps Baseball was probably the least respectable Topps set ever, but will always hold a special place with me.

I could not agree more. I now remember why I haven’t opened any of these since 1988. The design on this set is absolutely dreadful. However, it was fun to remember the images from this year on some of the star player cards. Consistent with the 1987 and 1989 Topps, The production quality on these is equally poor. Centering continues to be a challenge, and there are tons of print flaws on these cards. Out of 500 cards, only 2 have a chance at the elusive PSA 10. That is less than 0.5% of the case fresh cards. I get that these cards are not rare based on production runs, but finding PSA 10s is a challenge given the very poor quality and rate at which they were produced. Here are the two candidates…

Does anyone else remember these can’t miss prospects?

And here is a McGwire ERR with the whiteout behind his foot. Oh the days of the error craze!

There is an Al Leiter error as well without the Yankee logo on his jersey to look out for. I’ve always said that even though these companies produced millions of a certain set, doesn’t mean that high grade PSA 10 examples are easy. Poor packaging, placement on the sheet, or reacurring print defects can make it extremely hard!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Unlike the 1988 Topps set, I personally love the design of the 1986 set. Aside from 1983, these black bordered beauties are my favorite design of the 1980’s Topps run. Unfortunately there are no major rookies this year, but there are tons of iconic star cards within this set. I absolutely love the look of these 3 cards that I once coveted as a kid…

The bold black borders at the top contrasted with the stark white borders of the bottom and a very simple design give these cards a timeless look. Here are a few more of the stars in the set.

Like I said, there is not much rookie talent to speak of, but here are a few from back in the day.

This particular vending box was stuffed to the seams, so I am guessing a contained roughly 520 cards. Out of that, there are surprisingly 7 contenders for PSA 10. Here they are...

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an FYI, but this is the guy behind Moneyball. Carry on, though, as this is a great thread!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Speaking of centering, I didn’t realize Topps did puzzles in 1985. Maybe if I put these together I will be able to have a full card. Eeeeesssshhh...

I got an 85 vending box with about 100 or so miscut like that. Some fit together, others I could never figure out.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Dang I love this thread! All the 87s are classics in my eyes, but like others I amassed a huge hoard of 88 Topps. That design-- and the poor rookie showing-- definitely turned me off to them eventually. I distinctly remember print issues plaguing the 88s. I'm also a fan of 86 Topps... they did a great job on photography with that design, especially with colors. Just look at how the team name color is either prominent or very well balanced in the photographs.

Keep em coming!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the white/black borders on 86T Chris.

The 89T brought back a memory - it was 1992 at the National in Atlanta - Mike Baker who worked for PSA talked to me about PSA which was on the young side then - he gave me a "sample" which is kind of like a piece of PSA history.

BTW - on the 87Ts? I have a box full of Bonds in all conditions.

Mike
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I like the white/black borders on 86T Chris.

The 89T brought back a memory - it was 1992 at the National in Atlanta - Mike Baker who worked for PSA talked to me about PSA which was on the young side then - he gave me a "sample" which is kind of like a piece of PSA history.

Despite printing 5 billion, they never managed to get the full 3 right on his card number. Love 87 Topps, my favorite set.

• Options

Despite printing 5 billion, they never managed to get the full 3 right on his card number. Love 87 Topps, my favorite set.

So true Dane.

That was why this was taken years ago - someone wanted to know if the error was pervasive I believe?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

Wowza Mike! That’s a lot of Bonds RC...nice stash. I do wish Barry got a little more love in the hobby since I don’t know that his crime fits the hobby punishment he is paying. The guy was one of the greatest five tool player‘s despite using the juice in the last 7-8 years of his career. It has been noted that he likely started using PED in the 1999 season after becoming jealous of the 1998 McGwire and Sosa homerun race. That would mean he was artificial for the last eight years. Let’s assume that added 15 homeruns per year to his totals. That would knock him down about 120 homeruns leaving him closer to 650 career homeruns. With his batting average and stolen bases, that leaves him right there with Willie Mays. I am not condoning that he cheated, but regardless he is one of the greatest players of all time. He is arguably one of the biggest stars of the 1980s, if not the biggest.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Just an FYI, but this is the guy behind Moneyball. Carry on, though, as this is a great thread!

Thank you for correcting me. I don’t know why I foolishly thought the 1989 Topps card read Billy Beane all these years. Now that I actually read the name Bill Bene, I wasn’t even close

• Options

Let the vending journey continue...

• Options

As you rip the 88s, don't mistake this guy for the Moneyball GM, either. Billy Beane, Billy Bean, Bill Bene...! Haha!

I am curious, have you come across any blank back cards with any of your rips, so far?

• Options

@countdouglas said:

I am curious, have you come across any blank back cards with any of your rips, so far?

None so far, but I guess I should be on the lookout. Thanks for reminding me to scroll through the backs too.

• Options

Anyone who opened a lot of 1989 will get a quick thrill from this pic just as I did while pulling them. My memory held correct that Sabo, Abbott, Ventura and Grace all come within the same short run of cards. Also, this Gregg Jefferies card is still freakin cool looking and was THE card to have when this set released, along with the Sabo.

After the first vending box, 8 more contenders were found out of 500 cards (1.6%). These cards really do jump out when dead centered, sharp corners and edges, and dripping with flawlessly printed ink. It is just finding them that is the real challenge.

• Options

I opened a LOT of Topps product all throughout the 80s, and don't recall ever getting any blank back cards, EVER, when the product was live. Now, 30+ years later, while not a frequent find, I'll randomly come across several now and then across all years and packaging methods. My biggest find at one time occurred a few years ago when I opened a box of 1987 vending, and over 30 cards in the box was a blank back. Just a novelty item to collect, and like I said, I'm only curious if you find some. I'm not looking to acquire any.

• Options

Thank you to those who continue to follow this journey, as well as those commenting along the way. It is the conversation that makes this equally interesting for me. In some ways, it is like being back in the card shops we severely lack today.

The second vending box of 1989 Topps yielded 7 more contenders out of 500 more cards (1.4%). If you haven’t noticed, the reoccurring theme is that roughly 1% of pack fresh cards produced in the 1980s have a legitimate shot at PSA 10. Here they are...

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Really enjoying this thread as it is right in my wheelhouse, also.

Keep them coming and good luck!

• Options
    edited March 11, 2018 8:53AM

Love that Harold baines card! He was my favorite player back in the day. I just ripped some 1991 topps micro sets where I pulled his cards.

Just curious, but it's hard to tell from the pics. Are you using penny sleeves and card savers together?

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the party on this thread but just caught up. Super cool project and best of luck.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2018 9:08AM

Great thread! This brings back some of my earliest memories of 8 year old me feeling bad that I took advantage of my then six year brother by trading my 86 Fleer basketball cards for any and all of his "valuable" Dale Murphy cards.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options

@bensie said:

Just curious, but it's hard to tell from the pics. Are you using penny sleeves and card savers together?

Yes. I have always preserved my cards that way as well as shipped them for grading that way. I find it easier to slide them into a penny sleeve with zero damage to the card and then into the semi-rigid. I always worry that the semi-rigid will damage the corners as I slide it into the lower half of the holder. I’m not sure if it’s better, but it has worked for me so far.

• Options

@ghooper33 said:
    Great thread! This brings back some of my earliest memories of 8 year old me feeling bad that I took advantage of my then six year brother by trading my 86 Fleer basketball cards for any and all of his "valuable" Dale Murphy cards.

Haha...I love that! You showed him. That Jordan guy is overrated anyway :p

• Options

1988 is hands down the worst set of the 1980’s, but I feel with one small design change this set could have been much better. The McGwire card below still looks stunning to this day, while the rest of the set is a complete mess. I think it’s a very subtle element, but Topps should have filled in the bottom right triangle on all of the cards just like they did on the all-rookie team cards. Had they moved the team logo into that triangle and gotten rid of the team name at the top, I actually think this design could’ve looked pretty cool and very simplistic.

• Options

So after these last two vending boxes, that brings the total to three boxes broken of 1988. Out of the 1500 cards freshly opened, these are the 15 that are viable candidates for graded perfection. It’s interesting, when you see perfect examples of what Topps was intending, this set actually does stand out to the eye a bit. Or maybe I’m just losing my mind after staring at every single detail of the ones that had a shot. At any rate, here you go…

• Options

OK, that was a lot of cardboard to pour through. I think my eyes might be bleeding after scrutinizing the contenders. Here are the results of the 1986 vending boxes. 21 candidates so far out of 1500 cards (1.4%).

When you can find a dead perfect card from 1986, it really does pop. This is a gorgeous set from a design standpoint as well as lots of great photos of the key players. It really is a shame that Topps did not include regular rookies of Jose Canseco and Fred McGriff this year.

• Options

Never could get excited with Glavine's 88T RC.

Mike
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Love this thread. I doubt I will ever try to submit an 86 Topps again. Those cards are tough.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    OK, that was a lot of cardboard to pour through. I think my eyes might be bleeding after scrutinizing the contenders. Here are the results of the 1986 vending boxes. 21 candidates so far out of 1500 cards (1.4%).

When you can find a dead perfect card from 1986, it really does pop. This is a gorgeous set from a design standpoint as well as lots of great photos of the key players. It really is a shame that Topps did not include regular rookies of Jose Canseco and Fred McGriff this year.

This is awesome analytics. It is interesting after looking at 100 consecutive off-center cards, when a dead centered one comes next, you have to look at it twice to adjust your eye. I have my son review all my discards just in case.

Let's take this a step further. For '86 topps, there have been about 28,000 submissions. We can assume that most of these submissions are hunting 10's, as i can't imagine anyone submitting for a 9. However, not everyone has an eye like yours, so let's remove 8,000 of these submission due to newbies lack of review experience.

Now we're left with about 20,000 cards submitted that theoretically appeared to be a 10. Of these 20,000, about 9,000 were slabbed a 10. So a little under 50% chance of a 10. Your odds go up if you have a card lab, or your a former PSA grader, or your submitting 5,000 cards a month, or you're just really dam good at finding modern 10's. But for those of us who examine our cards with the utmost precision and detail, the '86 pop reports tell us that we are about 50/50 on 10's.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris, thought I'd give you some encouragement after such a large amount of ripping. All from my personal collection.

Arthur

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised to see that on the '89 Topps Al Leiter error card that PSA doesn't notate that it isn't a picture of Al Leiter. Instead of noting on the label "No NY on shirt" they could note "Photo of Steve George". Carry on.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis07 said:
    I'm surprised to see that on the '89 Topps Al Leiter error card that PSA doesn't notate that it isn't a picture of Al Leiter. Instead of noting on the label "No NY on shirt" they could note "Photo of Steve George". Carry on.

I believe they do this so that when someone is submitting, they don't have to know which one is Steve George. Whereas you don't need to know what Steve George looks like this way to sub one.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Chris, thought I'd give you some encouragement after such a large amount of ripping.

Awesome inspiration Arthur...thank you for sharing all those blazers! I personally love the Abbott RC. I grew up in Michigan and he was THE card to have. An inspiration and hero to many!

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I’m pretty sure Donruss’ goal in 1987 was to ensure no flawless cards were produced

This

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited March 12, 2018 4:33PM

@bensie said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

would it even matter if I posted the amount ?

funny stuff on here

Yeah, you're balling out of control over here. That's why you're sweating a guy who is ripping $15 boxes of 80s wax. You were right about one thing though...funny stuff on here for sure. LMAO.

and what are you talking about ?
    who was balling ?
    you mean BAWLING ?

go find your father
    maybe he can explain the difference to you

"balling" .... now, THAT's LMAO

"sweating" too, aye ?
    you got that wrong also
    that was in reference to the 81-85 boxes
    you're on top of things

............ I hope ripping them was fun, because the results are as I said they would be, aren't they ???

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited March 12, 2018 4:30PM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Chris, thought I'd give you some encouragement after such a large amount of ripping. All from my personal collection.

Arthur

nice corners and edges