Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Recommendations for a British Coin Dealer

Does anyone have any recommendations for a British coin dealer? I am looking for a rare British penny that does not seem to be available on this side of the pond.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colin Cooke?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allan Davisson - in Minnesota.
    Spinks
    Baldwins

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

Steve Hill is over at Sovereign Rarities, Chards, Adrian Gorka Bond of 1stSovereign, Jon Blyth. Steve Hill may be your best bet if it's rare.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins from Sovereign Rarities are basically priced to a point of being unbuyable. The RCW of the British market.

Roderick Richardson is another name who has access to outstanding material. Colin Cooke is a good group and with Neil Paisley also the MD at Baldwins that is a good route. Those guys are friends we have pints every so often as we live in the same town in England if you want me to introduce.

• Options

It would narrow down recommendations if you could give us an era of the penny you seek.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2018 5:30AM

@SaorAlba said:
    It would narrow down recommendations if you could give us an era of the penny you seek.

The "last English king," Harold II, 1066. That's it.

I thank all of you for your recommendations.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@SaorAlba said:

The "last English king," Harold II, 1066. That's it.

I thank all of you for your recommendations.

Indeed that is going to be tough - but doable.

Yorkcoins.com is another I have bought from.

• Options

Yes, except that is either be best one I have in pictures or they hit the "sharpen" button on their photo software a couple of times. The photo looks grainy, which is what you get when you do that multiple times.

• Options

@BillJones said:

Yes, except that is either be best one I have in pictures or they hit the "sharpen" button on their photo software a couple of times. The photo looks grainy, which is what you get when you do that multiple times.

Here is another recently sold. AMR handles many nice hammered coins and could be a good source.
    amrcoins.com/coins-for-sale/HS-1847/

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@BillJones said:

Here is another recently sold. AMR handles many nice hammered coins and could be a good source.

I am concerned that that one has been repaired or plugged. The flat spot on the "P" in 'PAX" and the flat spots on the corresponding area of the obverse are areas of concern.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Boosibri said:

@BillJones said:

I am concerned that that one has been repaired or plugged. The flat spot on the "P" in 'PAX" and the flat spots on the corresponding area of the obverse are areas of concern.

Agree, it is sold regardless. More suggesting AMR as a dealer who deals in this material. I see them at most of the shows in the UK and they maintain a broad inventory and have a good reputation.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2018 3:02PM

Another dealer to check into is Mike Vosper:
    https://www.vosper4coins.co.uk/

I've bought a decent amount of Scots coins from him but know he does early English also.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can list a few who carry Anglo-Saxon material and whom I've done business and can recommend:

Mike Vosper (https://www.vosper4coins.co.uk)

Keith Chapman (http://anglosaxoncoins.homestead.com)

John Philpotts (http://www.silburycoins.co.uk/shop/)

Martin Roberts (http://www.amrcoins.com)

I have not done business with:
    Lloyd Bennett (http://www.coinsofbritain.com) but I believe he's a straight shooter who grades ok.

Some of the web sites look like they are from 1997 (and maybe they are.)

For auctions consider Spink, Baldwin's, CNG, Davisson, and the usual American suspects (HA, SB, Goldbergs) when they have strong offerings of world material.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coincraft in London

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Coins from Sovereign Rarities are basically priced to a point of being unbuyable. The RCW of the British market.

Pricey - yes, but ...

It is a nice coin but is just a little weakly struck on the neck.

HAROLD II PENNY, LONDON
    Harold II (6th Jan-14th Oct 1066), silver Penny, London Mint, Moneyer Wulfgar, crowned bust left with sceptre, legend and beaded outer circle surrounding, legend commences at top, +HAROLD REX ANGO rev. PAX between beaded lines horizontal at centre, beaded circles and legend surrounding, legend commences at left +PVLGAR ON LVND, weight 1.27g (N.836; S.1186). Weakly struck on neck of King, otherwise well defined, good face, toned a bold very fine / good very fine and very desirable.
    The reign of King Harold II was shorter than that of the modern British King Edward VIII who famously abdicated and produced no coins for British currency. The coinage of Harold II all have the same "Peace" type reverse and a head and neck bust on the obverse, which can sometimes face right or have the sceptre absent. As a type coin of the reign demand for King Harold remains strong, especially since 2016 marked the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings, celebrated by the Royal Mint with the release of a Fifty Pence coin depicting Harold with the arrow in his eye as seen on the Bayeux Tapestry.

The legends translate as "Harold King of the English" on the obverse and "Wulfgar of London" on the reverse with "Peace" across the cen

• Options

Thank you for giving me these recommendations. I think I might have spot filled. I'll know by the end of the week.