Home U.S. Coin Forum

1957.. die gouges!?!?

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2018 6:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Tagged:

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea what that is.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to be as the number 9 was positioned like a 6 (inverted) and bumped the die. Long stretch of the imagination.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I posted it on one of the coin forums on fb and the list went on and on. A few people mentioned a possible inverted number. Than after a while a few more mentioned the gouges. But it I still always helpfull for more opinions. Thinking about sending it to wexler but I don't want to waste my money!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not an inverted number.... could well be a die gouge or a die chip....Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

An unimportant minor variety at best. Don't waste good money by having it "authenticated, etc."

All glory is fleeting.

I won't now! Thanks for advice guys

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It is not an inverted number.... could well be a die gouge or a die chip....Cheers, RickO

ditto!

Frank

BHNC #203

Thought I would give an update guys. Another 1957 D has surfaced exact match with mine. A overlay was done and it is a match. So I guess the other mans coin was a pair from the same die. (Disclaimer) I do not find This to be anything more then suggested. But a interesting piece nuntheless.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin. Someone should do an overlay with the inverted "9" I cannot recall if the mint was stamping the "195" or just the "19" into the dies at this time.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date was in the hub, not punched into the die, so this has nothing to do with that. It looks like it could be a die gouge of some sort. Same with the spike on top of the D. As to how it happened, I'll invoke the Fivaz defense, "I don't know I wasn't there at the time." A red, uncirculated coin might provide more clues upon examination.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    The date was in the hub, not punched into the die, so this has nothing to do with that. It looks like it could be a die gouge of some sort. Same with the spike on top of the D. As to how it happened, I'll invoke the Fivaz defense, "I don't know I wasn't there at the time." A red, uncirculated coin might provide more clues upon examination.

I didn't think the entire date was in the hub during this period but now I think you are correct as that's the way the Mint Lab proved that the 1959 Wheat reverse cent was bogus.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 5:14PM

The seventh one down... the 1951-D looks to be a RPM.

@Jimnight said:
    The seventh one down... the 1951-D looks to be a RPM.

It is. A accidental upload of another coin! I will edit it out of there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file