Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just bought an interesting 5 oz 2015 Pan Pac Octagonal .999 silver coin. Any story you can share?

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2018 10:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found it very pretty silver and reminded me of Carr's but I don't know the history behind it.
It is on the way, could not wait to feel the weight in my hand. This will be my heaviest coin

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 11:26AM

...it must be a huge image as well...waiting for it to load. Do you know if there is any edge lettering indicating a manufacturer or "copy", fineness, etc...?

5 ounces? Where does it state that? I see on a google search "Two Ounce" versions.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it copper?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks copper?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the round version (for sale in BST right now, actually). I was eyeballing this on ebay. I love them! If you need the round to go with it, send me a message ;) I can do a great price.

They are edge marked, by the way. Serial number, plus stating they are 5 ounce of .999 silver. Here is mine:

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they marked on the rim with fineness and weight (and hopefully maker as well)? If they are not you may have difficulty selling them in the future. I ran into this problem a few years back when I was selling my collection of one ounce silver rounds. The unmarked ones had to be sold at a significant discount from melt.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 2:44PM

How's the cameo on them?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't this just another counterfeit? Violates HPA. Claims to be US money.

@MsMorrisine said:
    How's the cameo on them?

Not super deep, but there is some there for sure.

• KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's mine (acquired June 2017), came in a velvet box and seller threw in a free PPIE100.org lapel pin. ( I guessed there was a huge celebration in SanFran back in 2015 for 100th Anniversary). It is serialized (mine #1060) and edge lettered for fineness/silver info. Can't fine manufacturer mintmark but I believed Apmex still have the info listed even though it is not available.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

I was thinking the same thing. If Liberty Dollars got Bernard von Nothaus arrested, what about these....

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is on the edge : 5 T.O .999 silver
    I will take picture later

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 3:14AM

@RogerB said:

We only seem to care if they are counterfeit if they come from China. LOL. I'll never fully understand collector distinctions. People have a fit over Chinese counterfeits on eBay but rejoice over what is essentially the same thing when it has a domestic source including the Dan Carr pieces, numerous silver rounds or off metal fantasy pieces.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the purchaser agrees not to try to pass them off as the real thing, they are legal? Or something to that effect. I read that somewhere .

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

@kiyote said:
    As long as the purchaser agrees not to try to pass them off as the real thing, they are legal? Or something to that effect. I read that somewhere .

Not according to the Hobby Protection Act.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Knell...That is a real nice silver octagonal.....I like the detail and the dolphins around the rims... Cheers, RickO

Nothaus wasn't HPA. It was passing what was judged to be phoney money.

I think these would fall into that is passed.

There are no numismatic -- used loosely -- items these would purport to be. They are 5 oz silver slugs. The closest things are smaller and gold.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

I know it was not from US Mint and I am happy with this beautiful slug. I googled any additional information to no avail.

• drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit? It’s gigantic and silver! Who would mistake it for a $100k plus gold coin?

@drfish said:
    Counterfeit? It’s gigantic and silver! Who would mistake it for a $100k plus gold coin?

It was not meant to fool anybody as the gold one. This replica was produced between 1970-1980 and I am trying to gather more information about this very coin.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the impression that these were issued before the HPA but I'm not sure.

There seem to be quite a few of these. The highest serial number I've seen so far is 01219.

I recall seeing one action with a history of these but can't find it out. None of the other auctions I've seen have any information on these.

It's really interesting how widespread these are and how little information there is on these.

@MsMorrisine said:

There are no numismatic -- used loosely -- items these would purport to be. They are 5 oz silver slugs. The closest things are smaller and gold.

Agreed, but in reality most if not all Liberty Dollars did not resemble actual coins. It was an absurd decision by the jury. In any case, these silver slugs have all the elements of a coin, including a denomination. I doubt someone would issue something like this today.

I did not realize they were as old as the 1970s. I would assume the Hunt Brothers melted most of them in that case.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 9:33PM

@JBK said:
    In any case, these silver slugs have all the elements of a coin, including a denomination. I doubt someone would issue something like this today.

Actually, I think the Smithsonian could issue something like this today. Here are two of their recent issues:

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:
    In any case, these silver slugs have all the elements of a coin, including a denomination. I doubt someone would issue something like this today.

Actually, I think the Smithsonian could issue something like this today. Here are two of their recent issues:

Very interesting. Seems to further muddy the waters....

@MsMorrisine said:

You could say the same about the 1877 Morgan dollars out of China - yet people hate on those.

More like the 3 inch 1877 indian head cents

the plastic capsule was shattered but the coin arrived un-harmed

Do you know where should I go for XL plastic capsule ?

@Paradisefound, I'll be going to LBCoin Expo next week and will bring along my octagonal PPIE 5oz to look for the correct size capsule. Will also bring my recently acquired/received today a round 5oz to look for capsule as well (thanks jwitten for a smooth transaction, neat idea on your homemade 3.5x3.5 cardboard flip for that slug). PM me if you would like me to grab one for you if they have the correct size.

Here are pictures of my octagonal 5oz and recently acquired round 5oz.

Quick photo shoot, did not have time to setup properly lighting.

Reverse

1915 Expo CocaCola Token Obv

Reverse:

The shiny on the left I just acquired this week for under $11, the Center with blank reverse / pewter under $13 and the one on the right with faded gold color for under $6 I had for more than a year.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI. Your item is not considered a coin, but a privately produced, 5 oz silver medal.

below is a coinworld article from 2014 regarding your medal, but it did not identify who produced it. Apparently, there were several different vendors.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2014/09/Silver-medal-with-designs-similiar-to-Pan-Pac-50-gold-privately-produced.all.html

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

You could say the same about the 1877 Morgan dollars out of China - yet people hate on those.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

And yet happily buy a 2009 Proof “silver Eagle”

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
    edited February 15, 2018 8:53PM

@Knell said:
    I see a couple airtite Y65 that I think will fit our coins. Let me get mine first for fitting then I'll be more than happy to get you one; in the mean time please share any info you may get from the show. I'll be in touch!

edited February 15, 2018 8:53PM

it is a slug & a replica but it is beautiful...

beautiful replica...

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Do you know where should I go for XL plastic capsule ?

If it measures 3" across point to point a 5oz ATB capsul could work. The Air-Tite number is Z5

Found this morning in my coin supplies stash......
    Air-Tite Y47mm, this came with a white ring that I just set aside with my supplies.

Perfect fit-no movement at all and visible edges.

THANKS!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file