Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Spoons Made From Columbian Commemorative Half Dollars

I have a couple of examples of spoons made from Columbian Half Dollars in my collection. I am trying to find out more about these pieces and am looking for examples that I don't currently have for a future ANA exhibit. Any help from the forum would be most appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2018 9:14AM

If you could post pictures, you might get more responses. I am well aware of the spoons that have 1903 Louisiana Exposition gold dollars in their bowls, but I have never seen a Columbia half dollar used that way.

How do you know that silver from melted Columbian half dollars was used?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any but would love to see some - how about some pictures?

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2018 9:21AM

Please send them to me for further evaluation... :D

I assure you that you may get them back.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to see them also. Are the bowls made from Columbian Halves?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting items. Not uncommon really. Stacks recently sold a giant collection of various items (spoons, jewelry, belt buckls, napkin rings, etc.) made out of Hawaii dollars.

Friend of mine had a giant silver tray, the whole bottom of which was made of Morgan dollars.

The number of different Columbian expo spoons (with or without coins) is astronomical.

spoonplanet.com/columbian.html

pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/feature/history-of-souvenir-spoons/

https://amazon.com/001-Worlds-Spoons-Columbian-Exposition/dp/0961482400

https://ebay.com/itm/1892-Columbian-Half-Dollar-Columbian-Expo-Spoon-/371926558598

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winscout....Welcome aboard....Those are very attractive... have not seen them before ... and both sides of the coin are visible...nicely done. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for posting the photos.

I have never seen those, they are cool.

• Options

I would like to see one in person. Is it one coin with a cutout in the bowl and then soldered into place? Is it two coins? Is it one coin that is halved and each half soldered onto each side of the bowl?

BTW - so far everyone thinks those are neat (including me) but weren't those just the coin novelty junk of their day? Do some of us need to reassess our perspective on coin-based stuff? ;)

• Options

These are high quality spoons made by the Gorham Silver company. It is a single coin that is soldered in place or pressure fit into a cutout in the bowl. This was not novelty junk of the day. We have some information from the original Gorham records. Gorham paid the going price for the coins in 1893 of $1.00 each. One of the patterns (Columbus being greeted) was part of a set that had various buildings pictured in the bowls of the spoons.

• Options

@winscout said:
    These are high quality spoons made by the Gorham Silver company. It is a single coin that is soldered in place or pressure fit into a cutout in the bowl. This was not novelty junk of the day. We have some information from the original Gorham records. Gorham paid the going price for the coins in 1893 of $1.00 each. One of the patterns (Columbus being greeted) was part of a set that had various buildings pictured in the bowls of the spoons.

I don't know. I kind of think it would count as novelty junk. If you went to a national park now and saw a souvenir spoon (they still make them) with the corresponding park quarter in the bowl of the spoon, wouldn't you call it "novelty junk"?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I'd call it a precious memento of my idiotic visit to Hordes of Tourists Nat'l Park. :p

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's very near Pricey Junkfood Nat'l Monument.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2018 7:54AM

The mint did offer state quarter spoons early on. Not pure silver, but still a novelty that most serious coin collectors ignored.

Most of us love the Columbian spoons. Will we also have a change of heart about the state quarter spoons in future decades?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly collectible, years ago I had a large Columbian Expo collection of everything, from books, to So-Called $'s, to plates etc, etc.
    I had a bunch of spoons also, but none of these.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@winscout said:

I don't know. I kind of think it would count as novelty junk. If you went to a national park now and saw a souvenir spoon (they still make them) with the corresponding park quarter in the bowl of the spoon, wouldn't you call it "novelty junk"?

they are very far from junk, very collectible

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited February 12, 2018 9:18AM

I think some people are missing the point. Yes they are very collectable, Yes they are nice. But in their time - in the era when they were made - they were coin-related novelties. Most coin collectors seem to avoid such things that are currently being made, now, in their current era. The passage of time often gives some things a new level of desirability or acceptance that they might not have had when they were being produced. How many coin collectors collect the Mint's state quarter spoons today? (Not many). How may people will find them to be interesting and collectable 100 years from now? (Probably more than a few.).

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@winscout said:

they are very far from junk, very collectible

They are NOW. At the time, they were novelty junk. The Columbian Expo is one of the biggest souvenir spoon events of all time. I have a lot of them. I like them. They are NOW very collectible. They were then, collectible. But at the time, you'd have to call them novelty junk, like so much of the thousands of Expo items produced.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I think some people are missing the point. Yes they are very collectable, Yes they are nice. But in their time - in the era when they were made - they were coin-related novelties. Most coin collectors seem to avoid such things that are currently being made, now, in their current era. The passage of time often gives some things a new level of desirability or acceptance that they might not have had when they were being produced. How many coin collectors collect the Mint's state quarter spoons today? (Not many). How may people will find them to be interesting and collectable 100 years from now? (Probably more than a few.).

This! This! This!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018 11:09AM

Cool looking spoons.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

I suspect there were more spoon collectors at that time than coin collectors.

pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/feature/history-of-souvenir-spoons/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Gorham ones are cool!

• Options
    winscoutwinscout Posts: 12 ✭✭

Besides the Gorham spoons with Columbian half dollars in the bowls, here are a few other spoons from my collection made with Columbian halves. Does anyone else have anything like these? I would love to see photos of your examples. Always looking for background on these and other US coin spoons.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool spoons @winscout.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a book dedicated to the topic: World's Fair Spoons Volume 1
    The World's Columbian Exposition Author: Chris A. McGlothlin

Over 300 different described.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collection.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

These aren’t the Colombian Halves, but I did Get these for a couple bucks each at a estate sale.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    These aren’t the Colombian Halves, but I did Get these for a couple bucks each at a estate sale.

Innovative use of coins. I guess you can eat (with) your money. :)

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iran ? Iraq ?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave The first 2 are Turkish Ottoman the third is Iran

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file