Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Price of cards coming back down to earth........

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cooptown said:
    I have seen another forum member (at least I think he was on this forum) complete the run. His username started with "b-e-g" and now I can't remember the rest. He used to post his run on the Net54 board as well, but I believe he got banned.

His run of signed Mantle cards is one of the most impressive things I have seen. I hope you are able to do it as well. It will be interesting to be along for the ride!

begsu1013/muffins

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@Cooptown said:
    I have seen another forum member (at least I think he was on this forum) complete the run. His username started with "b-e-g" and now I can't remember the rest. He used to post his run on the Net54 board as well, but I believe he got banned.

His run of signed Mantle cards is one of the most impressive things I have seen. I hope you are able to do it as well. It will be interesting to be along for the ride!

begsu1013/muffins

YES! Thanks for the clarification. Man, what an impressive run he put together. Would love to see Matt do the same.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Coop— when it comes to that realm, I am taking it very slowly and scrutinizing each card. The advent of autopen has me proceeding with caution, as anyone always should.

• Options
    NIPSZXNIPSZX Posts: 79 ✭✭

How do all of you commenters that kept saying the stock market was going to crash earlier in February feel now? There were a lot of you that were wrong on page 1 of this discussion!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel miserable. I heard the farm report mention hogs are up. I don't have any. :/
    BTW. Hi, hello, how are ya? welcome. :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    @HighGradeLegends

The 52 Topps Mantle in REA bombed at $300,000. This card may be an outlier but every auction house I look at I seem to see lower prices in general. I don't have a dog in the fight as I don't own any of the cards being auctioned off but just observing the prices.

For some reason I thought $1,135,250 was higher than $810,000 by $325,250.

@grote15 You disagree with my comment above. Maybe my math skills are off.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't every Mantle card an outlier?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that’s pretty significant since the current Mantle 8.5 appears much nicer than the one that went higher two years ago.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 10:56AM

It is significant. You would have to be blind not to see loads of cards selling for less than they did in the past two years. The card market is just like the stock market and there is always something going up and something going down. Card prices have been coming down some in general. I think it is amazing that baseball cards are bringing these large sums and it is great in terms of legitimizing cards as an asset but no market is immune to downward moves in the short run.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting for the weak hands to start dumping their high grade vintage Dallas Cowboys rookies - I'll be hoping to catch some (big!) crumbs. :)

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 12:39PM

That Mantle 8.5 has very strong eye appeal. Still, it’s tough to judge whether that price is disappointing when all sales before the 2016 explosion were much much lower.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is more question than statement but weren’t there a few higher pop cards added via recent finds? That also may have driven the 8.5’s market down a bit if people intend to or recently landed a 9.

How many people/buying groups can afford these cards?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Meanwhile, on blowout, there have been threads in recent months complaining that the buy-in for prospect cards is getting ridiculous. Of course, at the individual card level, those go up and down but the thought seems to be that the market for that stuff in general is going up. So is money shifting from vintage to modern?

• Options

Mike Trout cards are by far the hottest in baseball no matter what era so it is probably natural for some spill over effect.

An active modern market is great for the hobby.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 4:22PM

I must not have gotten the prices falling memo as I just paid record highs for these two Micks...

It is also worth noting that buyers are becoming much more picky these days, and that will continue; there are guys with the money to drop who will pass on both those 8.5s for an 8, 8.5 or eventual 9 with perfect centering. Both 8.5 are nice but neither could be called perfectly centered. When a dead centered 8+ surfaces of any basic Mantle, many more bidders will surface than for the specimens that meet the grade and are certainly nice, but lack the centering.

Any blanket one attempts to throw on all cards will always be riddled with holes; there will always be cards that set new price records while others trend lower, even in the same grade. End of the day, cards are not stocks.

• Options

We can all cherry pick specific cards in a specific grade and pretend there isn't weakness but it's a pointless exercise.

A 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan hit an all time high in a PSA 9 earlier this year with a sales price of $2,904. That said the average 1982 Hogan card is down year over year.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 4:43PM

It's cherry picking both ways. There's simultaneous weakness and strength. I wish what I collect was weak. If what I don't collect is going up or down, I don't care. It doesn't concern me. What concerns me is what I collect— and more specifically what I am next buying, since I buy to own long term and enjoy. My heirs can sweat the rest, LOL.

• Options

When someone says there is more weakness than strength they are accurate.

There is no weakness in the cards I need for my collection but there is weakness in plenty that I own.

I just don't live with my head in the sand. Plenty are up but more are down. It is just the facts.

You can actually have a healthier market with some of the fluff pulled out of cards so this isn't entirely a bad thing.

I still own my cards so when prices fall I don't win. I just have no trouble admitting it.

• Options

Sure, it can be a fact that more cards are going down than up. I find it hard to understand why that should matter to any one person. If what you collect is on the rise, good for what you own (though if you are not selling that increased value is rather moot) and tough for what you wanna buy next. If what you collect is going down in price, great for buying for your collection and sucks for what one has (but again, as before, if holding it is moot).

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 5:23PM

With all the Mantle Rookies I’ve seen with tilt, diamond cut, terrible centering, I find it hard to believe we’re classifying the 8.5 that just sold as not having good eye appeal. Sure, vertical centering not perfect, still probably in the top 10% eye appeal wise and one I’d expect to get strong bids. Which it arguably did. Just because it’s lagging 2016 sale (like everything else) it still sold at multiples of all other previous sales for the grade.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    If AMZN takes at $1,320 today it is going to be a blood bath.

This was from back in February and those who bought ;) are pretty happy now since it is sitting at $1882 right now. Same with APPL, Berkshire...

Not sure what the purpose of the post today was in this thread calling out Grote about the Mantle 8.5 last night going for less than the previous 8.5 - IMO I did not see the point. A card that goes for over $1 million faces some issues other nice examples don’t in that the potential buyer pool is very small due to very few people having that kind of disposable income to buy cardboard in the 7 figure range.

Regarding Mantle cards I have been in the same boat as Matt in buying Mantle’s in PSA 7 and higher privately for prices WAY above VCP. I see it online, saw it at the National, seeing it in auctions where my snipes are getting crushed and they are 120%+ of High VCP and more. If there is weakness I am not seeing it, and would love to find these weak prices some are claiming. I wish the cards I wanted were cheaper

• Options
    edited August 20, 2018 4:23AM

Actually if you re read this thread it was spot on. AMZN did break that level and that short lived correction intensified significantly. Also the comments on the crypto bubble well we all know what has happened there. The bounce of the bottom was the low and we moved right back up.

The purpose was I got a notification recently and wondered for what. It turned out it was a disagree notification from good ole Grote.

Just thought I would remind him I saw it and he was wrong again.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Actually if you re read this thread it was spot on. AMZN did break that level and that short lived correction intensified significantly. Also the comments on the crypto bubble well we all know what has happened there. The bounce of the bottom was the low and we moved right back up.

The purpose was I got a notification recently and wondered for what. It turned out it was a disagree notification from good ole Grote.

It's all good. know you've been dying to prove me wrong ever since I got the best of you in that sniping debate but one Mantle rookie card sale is not going to do it.

I will say that the market for vintage unopened product is quite strong again of late, which is admittedly more my wheelhouse than 52 Mantle card sales.

That said, I'd side with DM23HOF and kendallcat on that topic.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    I must not have gotten the prices falling memo as I just paid record highs for these two Micks...

That 62 is amazing! 15 years ago that would have been a 9 all day long!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '62 Mantle should be in an 8.5 holder. It's dead centered w/3 of 4 corners extremely sharp...only top right shows minimal wear.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@grote15

You crack me up. You got owned in that debate.

It was pretty petty to go back through a thread that is six months old and hit the disagree button so it is nice to see you wrong again.

I see your quiet on the Crypto now. Hopefully you bailed on your Etherium. What a disaster that one has become and the decline isn't close to over.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    @grote15

It was pretty petty to go back through a thread that is six months old and hit the disagree button so it is nice to see you wrong again.

I see your quiet on the Crypto now. Hopefully you bailed on your Etherium. What a disaster that one has become and the decline isn't close to over.

I never bought any Etherium. I did buy a few hundred bucks of Lite Coin but bailed out after I broke even as I didn't like the potential manipulation aspect of that market. Not sure what you are reading, but I've been consistently skeptical of crypto currency all along. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2018 7:01AM

As for the disagree, I honestly don't recall even doing so recently so unless I disagreed back in February, I must have inadvertently hit that button while clicking on the thread from my phone. In any case, I've un-disagreed for you. ;)

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    @grote15

In one of the threads there was a reference to taking Bitcoin for cards and you said you liked ETH Etherium. It did have a huge run up in the weeks that followed and has since had a spectacular crash like the rest.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@grote15 said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    @grote15

In one of the threads there was a reference to taking Bitcoin for cards and you said you liked ETH Etherium. It did have a huge run up in the weeks that followed and has since had a spectacular crash like the rest.

I'm glad I never followed through on that, lol...though as you said, there was a nice run up before the crash.

• Options

@1970s said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    @grote15

Correction.......He gets owned in every debate. LOL+

You mean the Brett/Schmidt debate in which only the rabid Royals fan out of 30 other posters agreed with you? Ok, then, lol..

• Options
    edited August 20, 2018 7:12AM

@mintonlypls said:
    The '62 Mantle should be in an 8.5 holder. It's dead centered w/3 of 4 corners extremely sharp...only top right shows minimal wear.

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

That 62 is amazing! 15 years ago that would have been a 9 all day long!

Thanks for the nice words on the 62. The corners and especially the edges really grabbed me, and I am usually way more of a centering guy— hence the 1959, which despite some faint PD, is one of only two I have seen centered like that in the grade (the other I believe is locked away forever in one of the best collections around).

It is pretty amazing, how low the eye appeal is on so many of the existing 9s— not only of the 1962, but also for all the other basic Mantle cards.

It certainly seems the vast majority of the highest grade Mantles received their grades ages ago, and simply would not make the cut today.

• Options

I forgot to mention how chip-free and sharp the sensitive edges are on the '62 Mantle. I would submit for a review.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

DM23HOF...

Did you buy the '59 Mantle from Jeff at Card Country or his sidekick Brady? I say that because of the PC sticker which stands for pristine centering on their cards.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    DM23HOF...

Did you buy the '59 Mantle from Jeff at Card Country or his sidekick Brady? I say that because of the PC sticker which stands for pristine centering on their cards.

Brady and I struck a deal on it, yes. I will certainly be removing the sticker, for aesthetic reasons. I certainly agree with the reasoning behind them doing it, as I have been passionate about (perhaps proselytizing, LOL) the extreme rarity of such centering for many years now.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

This post makes zero sense.

1.) 52 Mantle PSA 8.5 sells for less than the previous one.

2,) Post is made to point out that this sale is less than the 8.5 from back in May gleefully enjoying the decline of an iconic baseball card in a high grade.

3.) post then baits another poster (Grote) that has never previously posted in this thread, and you are saying that you took the time to use a 52 Mantle sale to call out another poster. One who is probably one of the if not the foremost unopened expert on the board who helps everyone out and asks for nothing in return.

I guess I would have to ask what was the point of your post - to bait someone? To tell everyone I told you so. To enjoy the drop in price of a card. I don’t think this helps the hobby nor the board, and surprised and disappointed in this from you. Your knowledge of wrestling is a huge asset to the board, but I don’t see where this does anything positive for you whatsoever. Probably turns a lot of people off going forward.

KC

• Options
    edited August 20, 2018 8:06PM

@DM23HOF said:

@mintonlypls said:
    DM23HOF...

Brady and I struck a deal on it, yes. I will certainly be removing the sticker, for aesthetic reasons. I certainly agree with the reasoning behind them doing it, as I have been passionate about (perhaps proselytizing, LOL) the extreme rarity of such centering for many years now.

That 59 Brady had was awesome at the National. I tried to trade some refractors, cash, improved WiFi, and a Biff Pocoroba from 1974 for it but no dice. I did pick up an amazing 57 Mantle from him that looks better and better each passing day. Wish I had the extra scratch for the 52 Mantle he had in a 5.5 - the centering on that one was amazing!

KC

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Cool thread, other than peops bashing Tim.
    1. I’ve always been about centerting and eye appeal. My 58 Mantle imo is better than most 9s and I would never sell it for less than a 9..which means it stays in my collection. (Yes KC, I still own it)
    2. Won this cool auto 58 Mantle to sit next to it...
    3. Some of my vintage monies are moving towards modern and I love it..maybe about 20 percent.
    4. Sports card market is alive and well imo and I personally still can’t get enough joy out of collecting. I don’t like the deception and dishonesty riddled throughout the hobby as you have to be so cautious in all areas, but there are still so many honest folks that make this hobby so fun!!!

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Now that’s what I’m talking about KC!!! What a card!! Surface issue? Eye appeal on that beauty is a 10 to me..thx for sharing.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

Thank you. I am not sure what the issue is, and showed it to a couple of folks at the National and one AH owner flat out told me that I needed to resubmit the card. Still not going to find any out there like your 8.5. That is a smokeshow!

KC

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

what is this thread about again???

• Options

Price of cards. Above 58 Mantle hammered at 20-25% above the previous high sale. 57 Mantle in question in this thread sold for a high and another one went for $14,800 in an 8. I think prices are doing very well - just ask anyone who has been trying to find some nice cards with eye appeal.

• Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

I hope there is a time, in the not so distant future, where there'll be a forum solely dedicated to Mickey Mantle cards. I'd be able to read all day and all night about Mantle, unencumbered with the likes of the other 19,048 men who have played major league baseball.