Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Price of cards coming back down to earth........

Now that stock market is falling?

Too soon to say ?

Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

All it takes are two guys who've got to have it. That can be the difference between a thousand dollar sale and a four hundred dollar sale. Stocks are down 5-10 percent. They were up 30-40% since Trump took office. Market isn't "falling" as of yet. Perhaps in a week or so, but not now.

• Options

all it takes is for margin calls to be made & lots of folks having to find liquidity FAST
    and if they don't have GLD in their portfolio, they will find liquidity elsewhere
    not only are they selling, but they aren't buying either

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

@BGS_Buyer said:

A seller can not sell without a buyer buying.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 4:35PM

When the stock market crashed in 1987, investors flooded the baseball card market, and prices rose. They felt it was a safer bet.

The same thing could happen again. We just won't know until it happens.

Steve

• Options

@Exodus said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

A seller can not sell without a buyer buying.

it was implied at high prices
    new buyers arise with lower prices

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    When the stock market crashed in 1987, investors flooded the baseball card market, and prices rose. They felt it was a safer bet.

The same thing could happen again. We just won't know until it happens.

Steve

that was the start of the over printed toilet paper era
    everyone thought that stuff would put their kids through school
    every basement had a case or two of unopened cards
    I thought prices came down in 2009 and after for while

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt a few days of falling prices are going to have any impact on the card market. It seems to me that you could make the case that the huge run we have seen in the past 16 months could have actually hurt the card market. You have a massive crypto currency bubble develop which makes the dot.com bubble look like child's play so these forces could have attracted capital away from cards. This sell off in stocks is long overdue with the least volatile market in history occurring last year. I have been involved in the stock market for almost 20 years and in recent months I have never felt more stupid about the market with it's relentless run up. We reached an RSI (relative strength) on the Dow of over 90. The most overbought market I have ever seen and one of the most overbought in history. Sharp, fast corrections occur when markets are this extended.

In terms of collectors being forced to liquidate, unless they put on some crazy trades like naked puts or put all of their money into crypto I doubt you will see forced selling. If this decline turns into a much larger, longer, and painful correction than cards could easily be impacted as collectors are less confident about the future and want to have more cash.

If someone is buying cards with money they might need in the short term they can always lose money regardless of the stock market and it is a very risky proposition. Some years ago I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of where a collector needed money fast and as the saying goes cash is king.

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 5:39PM

@Dpeck100 said:
    I doubt a few days of falling prices are going to have any impact on the card market.

agree
    even during the last crash, it took about 2-3 years to fully hit the bottom

who knows if you'll ever see that again
    but if anyone is waiting for that, to make financial moves, good luck
    too large of a chunk of your life is wasted waiting or hoping it will happen

even if it does, you have no idea of what will be impacted and what wont be

live for the now ...and roll your 401K's to a money market ASAP :-)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the collectors are oblivious to all of this.

And in no way is this a value judgement on hybrid collector/investors or pure investors.

Just a fact statement/observation.

Mike
  • Options

I don't see how if you have money to buy cards you could be oblivious to a 1,175 point decline in one day to the Dow Jones.

It may not phase you but you would have to live under a rock to not hear about it.

One thing that is certain is tomorrow will be a wild day of trading with the massive surge in the VIX.

• Options

Fast move lower in the futures this hour!

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mix in the CFTC / SEC Crypto meeting tomorrow and you may have a lot of rattled folks.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether the market is up a ton or down a ton, if I see a card I want badly for my collection I am going all out for it. And if my snipe collides with someone else who feels the same way, there will be a record price set for that card— even in the midst of a crashing stock market. Happy to pay lower prices though for the cards I love collecting, so if my competition for them has lots of worth tied up in stocks, fine by me.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

There is still so much money that is going to money heaven. This bubble is no where done letting out the air!

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

There is still so much money that is going to money heaven. This bubble is no where done letting out the air!

I agree. Trick is to remember the dot com bust. Amazon went from $100 to $5. There will be a few survivors. There will also be a more than a few Pet.coms. The underlying tech is to important for global banking. The tokens may become useless but a few companies won’t.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

@LOTSOS

I have used the AMZN going from $0.38 to $118, back to $8 and then higher as a potential outcome but this bust is going to hurt a lot of people. Loads of fraudsters moving in on the space and the decline is no where over. The huge counter trend rally's are so bearish and I don't think I have ever been more pessimistic on anything in my life. I fully expect Bitcoin to retest the $1,200 level where it broke out. Maybe even lower. I soooo wish you could short this stuff!!!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

AMZN with relative strength through this craziness plus a long term competitive advantage makes it a buy imo. Luckily I had most of my $$ on the sidelines due to a 401k transfer to an IRA so I had only 14% of it in the market right now - not by design but just have not had a chance to buy much since it converted over. Bought some Amazon, Berkshire, Apple, and some index finds. Now just waiting for the right entry point or probably DCA over the next couple of years.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    @LOTSOS

I have used the AMZN going from $0.38 to $118, back to $8 and then higher as a potential outcome but this bust is going to hurt a lot of people. Loads of fraudsters moving in on the space and the decline is no where over. The huge counter trend rally's are so bearish and I don't think I have ever been more pessimistic on anything in my life. I fully expect Bitcoin to retest the $1,200 level where it broke out. Maybe even lower. I soooo wish you could short this stuff!!!

First a disclaimer: I don’t know anything.

@Dpeck100 can’t you use a CFD?

Kevin

• Options

Also in your belief of it testing $1200 my opinion is anything below $2500 is apocalyptic. That is the minimum it currently costs to mine a single coin based on energy use.

Not saying that $1200 isn’t possible because it certainly is (I believe it very well might) but at that level it would be like hitting the reset button and sending most cryptos back to fractions of a penny with almost none surviving. Only a few who could decouple would survive.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    @LOTSOS

I soooo wish you could short this stuff!!!

Only way I know to short is with futures, but you'll have to margin. I don't know the contract specs for sure but I think it may be 100% margining.

Not sure if you can short GBTC - it's an investment trust, so probably not. There's a fair bit of tracking error on it, too, if I remember.

• Options

@bounce

40k per contract to short which is insane and getting a borrow on GBTC is impossible. Still at a stupid premium to its net asset value.

Went to bed early and just woke up to let my dog go the bathroom.

Futures down 1,221 on the DOW.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

How can this market not affect cards? When this much wealth is wiped out in 3 days, I would think lot of folks are reconsidering where they spend their money and how. Prioritizing their discretionary income possibly.

Cards have had a blistering 7+ year bull market. The correction was inevitable, and IMO, it's here now. The sellers that moved their inventory and priced correctly, did well. The sellers that priced their product 20-30% higher than market, and it's been sitting for months/years, they're going to get clobbered as the bottom continues to fall out from underneath them; while they chase the bottom, always 30% higher, waiting for the millionaire with loads of cash to burn.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

These threads always come up when there is a war, gas prices rise sharply, or when the stock market goes down for a few days. This maybe the one that finally takes down the hobby but it will have to worse than the Great Recession. That hurt the hobby for a short time but it came back.

Mike
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Fluctuations in the market have no impact on my card buying. My card money comes from income I earn during the year not from stocks or bonds. Anyone that uses money that is targeted for retirement or investment on cards is crazy (IMO).

Robb

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    Also in your belief of it testing $1200 my opinion is anything below $2500 is apocalyptic. That is the minimum it currently costs to mine a single coin based on energy use.

Kevin

Is it sad that the first thing I thought of reading this was "selling psa graded cards for less than the cost of grading"?

:)

• Options

wealth is NEVER wiped out
    and money does NOT go to heaven
    wealth is simply transferred

• Options

@BGS_Buyer said:

Yes wealth is wiped out. The only way wealth is transferred in the securities market is when someone is on the other side of the trade. A typical stock might have a few percent of the float sold short. The rest goes to money heaven. Or money hell if you want to think that way. Either way it vanishes. Period.

• Options

Fasten your seat belts. The market came back off the lows way to fast. Going to turn red again today.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

Yes wealth is wiped out. The only way wealth is transferred in the securities market is when someone is on the other side of the trade. A typical stock might have a few percent of the float sold short. The rest goes to money heaven. Or money hell if you want to think that way. Either way it vanishes. Period.

why did the market / money / wealth / share values / whatever you want to call it
    go down yesterday ?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fear amplified by automation.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

?

• Options

Machines run by algorithms are trading the market.

There are some major hedge funds caught on the wrong side of selling volatility too and will need to liquidate positions.

• Options

the only reason the market goes down
    are when sell orders are made
    bottom line

they sell at the high prices
    you are left holding the new lower price
    wealth is transferred from you to them

wash, rinse, repeat

a very fundamental rule, that is forgotten
    due to all the shills on TV
    telling you to remain the market no matter what
    lose half, and feel good about it 5 years later when its big again
    oh wait ... that was your OWN money that you dumped back into your 401K

believe what you want

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 8:33AM

@BGS_Buyer said:

@LarkinCollector said:

?

People sell out of fear as the price drops. This lowers the price further. Automated trading systems then kickin when their sell parameters are met causeing more sale orders and yet lower prices. More people become scared as they watch the price drop so they sell. Price drops again and more preset sell programs are tripped which creates more sell orders. More sell orders fewer buy orders means the price continues downward. And the snowball continues down the hill until more buyers step in to stop the bleeding.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 3:59PM

BGS Buyer

LOL

You obviously have no clue how the market works.

Now it makes more sense why you buy BGS sheet cut cards.

• Options

This is why when people get upset about short sellers they are clueless. Those are buy orders under the market. When they don't exist the prices fall much faster.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 8:33AM

@Dpeck100 said:
    BGS Buyer

LOL

You obviously have no clue how the market works.

Now it makes more since why you buy BGS sheet cut cards.

feel free to take cheap shots
    I don't mind at all

I guess you've taken all the courses on how to make the market work for you
    I'm sure the truth was in there somewhere

like I said, believe what you want

watch the news today, they always tell the truth
    at least in communists countries, people KNEW they were being lied to

• Options

This stuff isn't that hard to figure out. When you have been trading for twenty years and give financial advice for a living it just comes with the territory.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 9:10AM

@Dpeck100 said:

When you have been trading for twenty years and give financial advice for a living it just comes with the territory.

well, there you go
    no wonder I was taken down so hard
    you're part of the problem

financial advisors ... market up or down ... you guys win with your fees

My wife sees a lot of this (tax manager) ... you guys make just as much on fees as your clients make on gains

LOL me again

these things must be like Christmas for advisors
    on the phone with their high net clients
    'advising them on the situation'
    ... "hey, let's reallocate your portfolio"
    ... cha-ching !

• Options

Taken down so hard?

You wrote perhaps the least informed response I have ever read on this message board.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

In order for this thread to find another gear, we need to hear from the Crisser...

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 9:15AM

@djr said:

I'm more concerned about a 5, 10 and 50 year plan vs days or months. It's all good.

there is no plan, with all the occasional take downs & starting all over

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still long on 86 Topps Traded sets - Canseco, Bo, Bonds, Will Clark, Joyner.. how can I go wrong? ;)

• Options

The swings today have been incredible to watch. 400 point bounce in the last 35 minutes.

• Options

@Stone193

The topic was the stock market decline affecting card prices.

You wrote.

And in no way is this a value judgement on hybrid collector/investors or pure investors.

I am not a mind reader. When someone says collectors are oblivious to all of this it is naturally assumed you are referring to the topic the OP started.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    @Stone193

The topic was the stock market decline affecting card prices.

You wrote.

I am not a mind reader. When someone says collectors are oblivious to all of this it is naturally assumed you are referring to the topic the OP started.

I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it safe for me to get back on eBay?

Mike
  • Options

This selloff is going to be very tough to call. The VIX stayed at greatly reduced levels for a long time and gave option sellers free premium and created a ton of leveraged strategies that are blowing up at the moment. You can have lots of mark to market calls that destroy people from intra day volatility and this is the first real hit in years. A popular strategy in wealth management shops is an options over lay strategy that sells put and call spreads over portfolios and they are at max loss at the moment. These are generally low risk but in reality with the VIX as low as it is the market became much too close and the violent move higher and lower we have had in the past five weeks has thrown a ton of strategies off. Options losses are permanent trust me I know from personal experience. With the VIX at 30 tomorrow will be extremely volatile too. I could see this going either way. We have been conditioned to think it always comes back and are dumb for thinking this rally might end but for the first time the VIX spiked to 50 which means there is real pain in the market. I felt like I was watching a pin ball machine following the DOW today. So many paths of prices traveled.