perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well played

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dilly Dilly

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles played like Champs. That Brady fumble is gonna be in his head all offseason.

• Options

Agreed about the fumble but that was just football, straight up got bum rushed and lost the ball. Great play by the Eagles, they deserved to win

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Eagles...well played, certainly better played than my team. I agree with Paul, the Eagles deserved to win the game.

Pats played poorly and weren't aggressive enough when there were opportunities.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone played well; the Eagles were better. The total offensive yardage was an all time record.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Benching Malcolm Butler was a head scratcher. Its probably a good bet to say he's played his last game for NE 2 weeks.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Pats fan that killed me but seeing your team win the first one is pretty awesome so good job Philly.

Pats couldn't tackle in the first half at all. They deserved to lose for that reason alone , 5 yard pass and 40 yards after the catch? Sure spot them 3 of those :s:s

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2018 8:47PM

Congrats to the Eagles. How ironic. Nick Foles. From back up QB, to SB winner/MVP,back to back up QB. Talk about no respect. Will this position be hard for him to take after the job he did in the Playoffs/SB? And how can Wentz top this?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

The next question is, who will get Nick Boles? He can't remain as the Eagles back-up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Benching Malcolm Butler was a head scratcher. Its probably a good bet to say he's played his last game for NE 2 weeks.

Is there any word in NE as to why he was benched? I saw he was crying during America the Beautiful, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

No idea Tim, Belichek said he was healthy in the post game conference.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

Is there any word in NE as to why he was benched? I saw he was crying during America the Beautiful, too.

I guess some reporters asked him why he didn't play and all he said was he didn't know why. He never even got a reason i guess.

This whole offseason for NE is gonna be all drama media-wise. They're already asking Brady & Gronk if they plan on retiring.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Congrats to the Eagles. How ironic. Nick Foles. From back up QB, to SB winner/MVP,back to back up QB. Talk about no respect. Will this position be hard for him to take after the job he did in the Playoffs/SB? And how can Wentz top this?

Foles was a victim of the Chip Kelly wrong headed regime that almost ruined Eagles football. Thank goodness Kelly got the can, and the general manager, who knew something about talent, was brought back to the organization.

• Options

So much going on in the game wow !!!!
    I am just now remembering a missed field goal and extra point by the Pats Ouch . 2 odd touchdowns that maybe could have called back. At least 5 plays like them that were ruled incomplete in games I saw personally this year alone .

Tom Brady can throw a ball but doesn't catch , he looked like herman munster lumbering along on that route . It hit him in both hands and it was barely moving .

Wow did Brandon Cooks take a lick. :o I guess he was not a receiver at that point kind of like when that tight end for KC got smashed and knocked out of the game .

Also I'm no expert on stuff like that but I think another eagles touchdown should have been called back for an illegal formation.

• Options

Crazy crazy game

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

They have got to address these 2 ridiculous rules this off season. The whole is it or isn't it a catch and the whole is he a runner or a receiver .

Are they thinking if they burn every team on this a bunch of times it will all cancel out? I feel like they are just flipping a coin to decide most of the time so why not just ditch these replays and let the ref call it on the field and move on?

• Options
    edited February 4, 2018 9:39PM

@bronco2078 said:
    They have got to address these 2 ridiculous rules this off season. The whole is it or isn't it a catch and the whole is he a runner or a receiver .

Are they thinking if they burn every team on this a bunch of times it will all cancel out? I feel like they are just flipping a coin to decide most of the time so why not just ditch these replays and let the ref call it on the field and move on?

Yeah I’ve seen both of those calls be called no catch before . Even as a Pats fan I didn’t want either over turned. I couldn’t stand the thought of the backlash of all the conpriracy nuts. I wanted to win it with the calls standing. In both cases in the spirit of the game I have no problem with them being ruled catches.

mark

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Well played

Thank you!

I agree it was a well played game, by both teams.

Frankly, anyone who disses Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and the Patriots losing effort in this game, really doesn't understand the game of professional football. There were any number of plays which could have turned the game the other way. For example if Foles drops that touchdown pass, or Brady catches his pass, it's a different ball game, possibly with a different outcome. That missed chip shot field goal by the Patriots which hit the left upright...it's a bit of a different game if that ball is just a yard more to the right and good.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yah I’ve seen both of those calls be called no catch. Even as a Pats fan I didn’t want either over turned. I couldn’t stand the thought of the backlash of all the conpriracy nuts. I wanted to win it with the calls standing

mark

The first one I think , Clement it was, I'm wondering what they are talking about out of bounds because it was his 3rd step that was on the line. I'm like you don't need 3 feet in bounds Chris ?????

The second one was the stupid he made a football move thing. He was an idiot , he caught it on the 3 and thought I'm stupid duh I will drive ball first at the groud. I would bench any moron on my team who did that. And then the ball shoots up in the air. And I have seen that taken away more than once this year , and one of them it went out of bounds and was ruled a touchback . Do not drive at the ground ball first you idiots. But they flip a coin and say he was a runner so its ok.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for Foles. I recall his final year at the nearby University. He had a very decent season. A local commentator opined that he would earn a nice check as an NFL backup.

Got a feeling that the check will get larger.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Good for Foles. I recall his final year at the nearby University. He had a very decent season. A local commentator opined that he would earn a nice check as an NFL backup.

The only reason Foles had a cloud over him was he came down with the Chip Kelly virus. Oh well at least he is working the window at Burger King these days right? I mean no one would let that idiot coach would they?

Oh sorry my bad :D sorry UCLA fans :D:D

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the birdies. I wondered if Brady will do another season....

• Options

Patriots’ Malcolm Butler On Super Bowl Benching: ‘They Gave Up On Me’

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/02/malcolm-butler-on-super-bowl-benching-i-got-nothing-to-say/

Interesting..from SB hero to SB outcast.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/02/malcolm-butler-on-super-bowl-benching-i-got-nothing-to-say/

That really sucks because i'm probably one of his biggest fans. Its gonna suck to see him go but its even worse with the way it ended.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

That really sucks because i'm probably one of his biggest fans. Its gonna suck to see him go but its even worse with the way it ended.

I agree. Don't know why Belichick would do this to him in this fashion. They clearly could have used him tonight, too.

• Options

He might have helped but Philly's playcalling was great all night. There could have been a chance he makes no difference anyways. It is what it is at this point. He'll always be one of my favorite players.

• Options

The Butler thing was weird

m

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    He might have helped but Philly's playcalling was great all night. There could have been a chance he makes no difference anyways. It is what it is at this point. He'll always be one of my favorite players.

Philly was the better team tonight, for sure. Still, a one late turnover and NE wins the game.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Great game - all credit to Eagles for great game plan and the stones to execute it.
    2. I wonder if we will ever know the whole story on Malcolm Butler. Bizarre but the greatest coach probably deserves benefit of doubt. But it wasn't the Patriot corners that were the problem - The patriot pass rush could not get home. And Foles was good enough to make them pay.
    3. Two very good defenses got steamrolled. I really enjoyed the game but the rules have gone too far in favor of offense. Time to give defenses a chance again.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yeah I’ve seen both of those calls be called no catch before . Even as a Pats fan I didn’t want either over turned. I couldn’t stand the thought of the backlash of all the conpriracy nuts. I wanted to win it with the calls standing. In both cases in the spirit of the game I have no problem with them being ruled catches.

mark

That last Philly TD was the exact same play Dez made the the GB game that was called a no catch!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

mark

That last Philly TD was the exact same play Dez made the the GB game that was called a no catch!

Not even close, LOL...Dez never established himself as a runner.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2018 10:40PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

mark

Dimeman, those two plays are disparate when you really examine them. Ertz established himself as a runner after he caught the ball, and that's ultimately what saved him (and the Eagles) on that play.

Dez never looked like an established runner to me, and i bet i've watched that replay 50 times. yes, he did indeed take 2-3 steps, but those were as he was coming back down to earth, stumbling his way to the end zone.

for what it's worth, i do understand where you're coming from. the rules surrounding catches definitely need to be calibrated.

edit: Tim beat me to it lol

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live here in Philly, still pinching myself, not believing it. Live a half block off the main street and needless to say didn't get much sleep with all noise from the celebrating in the streets. The Ertz catch and the Foles catch will remain in my memory for a long time. Despite being an Eagles fan, I've always been high on Brady, he's just been the greatest, time and time again.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

For the Clement catch he bobbled the ball slightly and whether he touched the end line with his second step after regaining control was murky. Have seen that called both ways but decision not to reverse was totally justified. For the Ertz TD he looked like a runner to me. Fortunately neither call decided the game, the Eagles D came up big on the one drive they had to.

Butler is definitely gone now. Not sure why they didn't at least try to put him when their defense couldn't stop the Eagles for the entire game. Great play calling by the Eagles and Foles played well on 3rd down. Eagles were very aggressive on 4th down as well. Gotta give Eagles all the credit, they had a winning game plan on offense and made the play when they absolutely had to on defense.

We will see how the Pats bounce back from the lose. At some point the dynasty has to end.

Robb

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

with Patricia and McDaniels gone--my dogs--William and Harry are ready to audition for the job

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

The only reason Foles had a cloud over him was he came down with the Chip Kelly virus. Oh well at least he is working the window at Burger King these days right? I mean no one would let that idiot coach would they?

Oh sorry my bad :D sorry UCLA fans :D:D

I hear ya about Foles and completely agree with ya about Chip Kelly. Frankly, i was happy when Kelly was hired, and VERY happy when he got fired.

The reason I made that remark about Foles is that don't forget, he bounced around with two other teams, and they didn't re-sign him. So it couldn't have just been Chip Kelly.

My take on it is that Foles his last season in Philly started getting that deer in headlights look at times. I remember one play in which he got hit viciously hard, and his body seemed to get mangled in different directions as he went down. When he got up, he just had that look on his face that he was going to quit playing football right then and there. I wouldn't have knocked him for it. Every football player has only so many hits his body can take before they can't take it any longer - it's only a question of how many hits. Football is a brutal game with QB of course being the most vulnerable position, perhaps in all of sports.

Somehow Foles overcame the fear, pain, etc, to stay in the NFL and sign as a backup. Frankly, considering what i stated, Foles is perfectly suited as a backup. Sorry to say I think if Foles was a starter, playing in too many games during a season, he might very well at some point in the season go in the tank again.

I hope Foles realizes that about himself, because I think most NFL teams realize that about him. Wentz and himself could make for a very nice, very effective, 1-2 QB combination for a number of years.

There is little doubt that Wentz will get hurt again, and Foles could step in again nicely as he just did. I think Foles stays with the Eagles, content and satisfied to be a #2. Foles, I think, will be happy with the money as well, as Jeff Lurie will be most glad to pay him.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 8:20AM

Credit to the Eagles Offensive Line. There was no pressure on Foles to speak of all game long. A QB under relentless pressure and knocked around a bit can go from all pro to mediocre quickly.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the true tale of the game can be told by the remarkable statistic that there was only one punt in the entire game!!! I remember posing that question as the fourth quarter started and we could only remember one but felt there had to be more. add to that the two turnovers and the score isn't surprising.

aside from everything else, I think the two touchdowns that were reviewed will really highlight what the NFL does going forward. they clearly have the rules over-analyzed and need to simplify things. somehow, I don't think video reviews when first envisioned were thought to ever be where they are today, giving deference to the on-field referees and an anonymous official somewhere in New York. as someone noted during the Championship round, if a play is viewed frame-by-frame it takes on its own new life.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

mark

Dimeman, those two plays are disparate when you really examine them. Ertz established himself as a runner after he caught the ball, and that's ultimately what saved him (and the Eagles) on that play.

Dez never looked like an established runner to me, and i bet i've watched that replay 50 times. yes, he did indeed take 2-3 steps, but those were as he was coming back down to earth, stumbling his way to the end zone.

for what it's worth, i do understand where you're coming from. the rules surrounding catches definitely need to be calibrated.

So.......it's not only a matter of taking steps......it's also what kind of steps....WOW!! To me it looked like Dez did the same thing Ertz did.....caught the ball and turned toward the goal....took steps and went down. They both had control of the ball until they went down.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coolest stat is that there were more passes to quarterbacks than punts in the game. Very entertaining game.

Daniel
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

mark

So.......it's not only a matter of taking steps......it's also what kind of steps....WOW!! To me it looked like Dez did the same thing Ertz did.....caught the ball and turned toward the goal....took steps and went down. They both had control of the ball until they went down.

Of course it looked like it to you. Not the same

m

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dez caught the ball. James caught the ball. They will clarify / change the rule this off season. Dez staggered and fought to get to the goal line. He had the ball securely until the ground caused a fumble which they called an incomplete pass. James secured the ball then transitioned to become a runner lunging for the end zone. Of course none of this matters now and they did get it right in the Super Bowl. Dimeman and myself are the voices of experience and wisdom. (or is it senility?)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

If we are still talking about that Dez catch-no catch thing it’s obvious that this has been going on for far too long.

• Options

@Brick said:
    Dez caught the ball. James caught the ball. They will clarify / change the rule this off season. Dez staggered and fought to get to the goal line. He had the ball securely until the ground caused a fumble which they called an incomplete pass. James secured the ball then transitioned to become a runner lunging for the end zone. Of course none of this matters now and they did get it right in the Super Bowl. Dimeman and myself are the voices of experience and wisdom. (or is it senility?)

Thank you.....I just wish the haters could see past the Star on the helmet. I would call that (Dez's) a catch no matter what team he played for.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2018 1:56PM

I think the Ertz TD was a TD, he established himself as a runner and crossed the goaline with the ball, the other TD when Clements? foot was out of bounds on the white line at the back of the end zone I didn’t think should have been a TD. Either way the Pats lost by not being able to stop Philly on 3rd downs.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I think the Ertz TD was a TD, he established himself as a runner and crossed the goaline with the ball, the other TD when Clements? foot was out of bounds on the white line at the back of the end zone I didn’t think should have been a TD. Either way the Pats lost by not being able to stop Philly on 3rd downs.

His third foot was on the line

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 2:51PM

if you don't think the NFL has issues with this, here's what Mike Pereira said about Clement's catch:

"Slight movement of the ball and slight bobble but slight is not enough to overturn."

Translation:

"Not a 100% legit catch. Like 99.5%. But close enough. Kudos to the replay officials for suppressing a potential SB uproar by turning a definitive rule into a game of horseshoes and hand granades."

I'm sure all of this makes perfect sense to Kelvin Benjamin...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z8-KV8OxmxM

• Options

@Brick said:

James and Dez did not “catch” the ball to the very definition of the rules. The problem is the rules, interpretation, application and frame by frame technology that goes with them. In live action they look like catches until they are broken down. It’s a problem

mark