Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever fantasized about ...

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling your whole collection and buying one iconic coin?

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have done so.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, in the early 1980's when a Mint State 1792 half disme came up for action. I figured it would sell for $100,000. It was a good thing I came to my senses. My estimate was not far off, but the auction house bought the piece in for that which would have made my efforts a waste of time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup.. done it before will do it again.. not sure at this point in my life how many collections I've built and sold, or pieced out. I think now as I get older, I'm going to be more picky and build a few cheap type sets just cuz. My nephew is getting older, too, and I'd love for him to have a wide array of coins to go through.

This next collection will be the last until I die. Either my wife or nephew can have them to do as they please. I can't see starting anew - again - only to do it all over for 1 coin.. again.. lol.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. But I did offer up my first born , once.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly. 20+ years ago, I had probably had at least 50 times the number of coins I have today. Maybe more. Now I have a lot fewer coins but many individual coins are worth more than what I had all together 20 years ago. So yes, I sold lot's of coins to get the smaller collection I have today.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, although that 1796 eagle may drive me in that direction ...

Higashiyama
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I would love to have an iconic coin, I just couldn't bring myself to selling all to get one. I enjoy going thru my collection and looking at all the different things I have. I would get bored just being able to look at one beautiful rare coin. Lol

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I've thought about it. Problem is, I'd have a hard time deciding which whale to go after.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

No. I'd rather have a wide variety of small things than one big thing.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done it to a lesser extent. I've traded good stuff for better stuff and paid the difference.

But NOT my whole collection.

That would be like putting all my beans in one basket. and if they don't grow (or if they shrink) it would be like throwing away a life of collecting.

You can only view ONE coin so much.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done it.
    I thought it was a good idea at the time.
    But I wasn't satisfied with all the goodies I had to give up......which included a very nice Walker collection, nice type set, etc.
    The coin I bought with the proceeds was great....but after a while, I missed going to the bank and drooling over the Walkers.
    Then I sold the coin I bought and stopped collecting anything, and now the only coins I collect are bad buys which linger too long in inventory.
    I do still have a soft spot for streaky toned Lincoln's, and will put one aside if I like it.
    So I suppose a tiny portion of the collector still remains.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I have too many things I would never want to give up, but the thought is nice.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I have, and yes I would.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to swap my ex-wife for one once.

No takers. Lucky them, poor me.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... although there are a couple of 'iconic' coins that make me salivate, I could not give up all the coins and memories that I have assembled over the years. They mean more to me than dollars... and to have only one coin to enjoy would leave me 'lost in space'. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a way, yes. Have thought of selling my small collection and just retaining one coin thereby getting out of the hobby.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been around for at least 2000 years:

Matthew 13:44-48 New International Version (NIV)

The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl

44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.
    46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    I have done it.
    I thought it was a good idea at the time.
    But I wasn't satisfied with all the goodies I had to give up......which included a very nice Walker collection, nice type set, etc.
    The coin I bought with the proceeds was great....but after a while, I missed going to the bank and drooling over the Walkers.
    Then I sold the coin I bought and stopped collecting anything, and now the only coins I collect are bad buys which linger too long in inventory.
    I do still have a soft spot for streaky toned Lincoln's, and will put one aside if I like it.
    So I suppose a tiny portion of the collector still remains.

Deja vu mannie!
    I just happen to trade my BU64+ 34-47 Walker set last April at the Central States Show for a key coin (and I also got a small pile of cash) but as always it wasn't enough.
    I still have that key coin I traded for and also bought another one at a higher grade...so now I have two high grade key coins that no one else has any interest in except myself!
    Go figure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file