Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sixty years ago today; 1/31/58

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sixty years ago today, 1/31/58, the first US spacecraft to orbit the Earth was launched. It was called Explorer 1.

The US had to watch in stunned disbelief as the USSR kicked it's ass in space in 1957. The first spacecraft launched, Sputnik 1, launched on October 4, 1957. With a mass of 184 pounds, it was SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the size of the first spacecraft the US was planning to put into orbit. The first attempted US satellite was Vanguard 1 which weighed 3.2 pounds. For all that, unbeknownst to the US, Sputnik 1 was a crude satellite containing only a radio transmitter.

The USSR continued to run roughshod over the US in space with the launch of Sputnik 2 on 11/3/57, technically a much more advanced satellite than Sputnik 1. Sputnik 2 weighed about 1,100 pounds. Sputnik 2 contained the first living organism to fly into orbit, the dog Laika. There were no plans to land her. Laika died of heatstroke after 24 - 48 hours in orbit.

To further twist the knife in the wound, vis-a-vis pathetic rockets, the US attempted to launch it's first satellite, Vanguard 1, on 12/6/57. The Vanguard rocket rose 4 feet and fell back to Earth where it exploded. US newspapers named it all sorts of things including Flopnik.

Given the green light, the US Army Redstone rocket team under Werner von Braun, used a modified Redstone rocket called Juno, to launch Explorer 1 into orbit on 1/31/58. The relief in the US of finally being able to launch a satellite into orbit was immense. Even though Explorer 1 was small, roughly 31 pounds, it was designed with science in mind, and went on to discover the Van Allen radiation belts.

Here is a period newsreel clip of the launch of Explorer 1. It is just over 3 minutes long.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=iW_3uXXoWIk

Post a coin from 1958 or a space based coin/medallion in honor of Explorer 1.

Comments

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post. Very nice Half Dollar!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this interesting post. :) I just finished reading a book about the political relationship between Dwight Eisenhower and Richard Nixon. The author speak a fair amount time with the launching of Sputnik and the embarrassment it caused. I remember a book I read circa 1960 that had the following selling printed on the cover.

"The average Russian school boy can understand this book. Can you?"

Such were the attitudes toward the state of U.S. science education in the late 1950s.

The only pieces I have are a 1958 half dollar that I won in club raffle 40 years ago and a 1958 Proof set, which is not that interesting.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sputnik was visible as a point of light moving across the sky in 1957 in my hometown of Jamestown, NY.

My neighbor, Mrs. Clarke, told us kids about it and showed us how to spot it in the sky. This infuriated my parents because there was an aura of fear associated with the Soviet satellite which was thought to be possibly spying on the USA.

Hazel Clarke was the widow of T James Clarke, a past president of the ANA and famous collector of rare coins.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the history info Skyman and a great looking Frankie! AB

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

"To further twist the knife in the wound, vis-a-vis pathetic rockets, the US attempted to launch it's first satellite, Vanguard 1, on 12/6/57. The Vanguard rocket rose 4 feet and fell back to Earth where it exploded. US newspapers named it all sorts of things including Flopnik".

If I remember correctly, the three I recall were "Flopnik", "Puffnik", and "Kaputnik".

I was fascinated by all this space stuff as a child. I remember watching John Glenn go up and when he would talk, the network would flash in bold letters: GLENNS VOICE

Those were the days...................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wernher Von Braun was the leader of the team that developed the V-2 missile for the Germans during WW2.

https://history.msfc.nasa.gov/vonbraun/bio.html

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

All space related news was very big news until the early 1970s. I remember seeing a photo of the failed launch of the Vanguard on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    All space related news was very big news until the early 1970s. I remember seeing a photo of the failed launch of the Vanguard on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.

Very true. Men walking on the Moon became nearly routine. What a great adventure for those of us that were around then.

Damn...I sound like my grandfather.

:|

• Options
    rainbowlover1rainbowlover1 Posts: 402 ✭✭✭

Fantastic Franky :)

• Rainbowlover1
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice info.

58D Washie Combo photo 58DWashieObvA.jpg

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great space info, thanks :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The years of space exploration - satellites, rockets, manned lunar missions - were golden years of science for the United States.....Sadly, we seem to have lost that focus. The spin off benefits of major science endeavors benefit all of us... and I believe we should continue our move into the solar system. Yes, there are seemingly insurmountable hurdles ahead.... but so was putting men on the moon at one time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

This subject jarred a memory of my finding something on a seat on a city bus in the USSR that was a really neat find from early USSR space history:

Luna 2 was the first man made object to strike the moon on 14 Sept 1959 and this znaki or pin was created shortly afterwards. It was not unusual to find znaki that had fallen off clothing etc - it was usually modern aluminium junk, but this one was one I found in the wild and kept.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

More importantly 1/31/58 was the day I was born B)

Thanks for the history lesson.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Sy

LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file