Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964-D Penny. MISSING DOT AFTER UNUM. If you have one, PLEASE post pics. Is this rare?

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 3:14AM

First thought was grease filled die but that side of the motto looks thin. Might be polished die with the dot being ground away.

Value? I would guess little to none, unless this die variety can be promoted and becomes popular, like the 3 legged buffalo or the no FG halfs.

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

That’s great to hear. Ty. I completely agree.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is common in late 80s and early/mid 90s as well (over-polished or greased dies).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch... however, I do not think it will add any significant premium. Something like that, I would keep in my 'education' file/box.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

neat, i like :)

• Options

Please post pics of your 64-d missing dot

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll post some tomorrow from the 60s and 90s, same deal for the most part.

• Options

It needs to be specifically a 1964-D

• Options

Very very interesting. Still no missing DOT 64-D out there I could see a pic of.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember the story of the Indian cent that they added a dot on the piece to catch a thieving mint employee?
    As I recall, it is a rare coin and worth a healthy premium.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Anyone remember the story of the Indian cent that they added a dot on the piece to catch a thieving mint employee?

That would explain the missing dot. The Mint must have adjusted its inventory of dots to make up for the extra ones it released back in 1875.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

Only jokes and no real 1964d missing dot pennies ? This is looking good for me

• Options
    edited February 4, 2018 10:12AM

What exactly is it that you think you have?

I am guessing that no one has a missing dot cent lying around to post because they haven't been looking for them or they aren't that interesting to begin with.

It is the result of a polished die. If I found one I would probably keep it, but I probably wouldn't notice it in the first place.

If you are hoping for it to be valuable, it would probably be better if people did have other examples. That would mean that the variety was recognized and sought after.

A buffalo with 3 legs? Cool enough to create some interest and subsequently some value. A missing dot Lincoln? I don't gather that there is much excitement. Value is a function of supply and demand.

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when it was hot, like BIE's etc, but then again I'm an old fart

• Options

If you remember that it was hot then it should have a variety number assigned to it.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just cause something was "hot," doesn't make it important. It only means it was promoted. These are not varieties, and would not have a number assigned to them. Merely overpolishing of the die.
    (I know, I know... the 3 legger is, too.)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Did you say thank you to Fred for helping you understand what you have?

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchbelieve if you think any of us old farts will go dig out an old mintset just to post a picture for you it’s asking a lot. what you should learn by now is that what folks are telling you is true. I think you found a great piece. Store it properly and if the market gets a taste for it then you have it ready to sell. Great start. If your looking for instant profits start looking for DD or small dates on certain years. Happy Hunting.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    As I recall, it is a rare coin and worth a healthy premium.

I remember that. That was one heck of a story.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @JBK and @FredWeinberg said

• Options

I liked Fred’s post. I sent Fred a private message on here but he hasn’t responded.

So the reason this is so important to me is because I purchased a collection a year and a half ago. This collection was a combination of 6 peoples collections who passed away and aparantly this guy who I purchased the collection from was a family favorite because he inherited all of the different collection. It included 1880-early 1900 gold pieces, trade dollars, Morgan’s, buffalo nickels, v nickels, old type coins, Mercury dimes, IHC ‘s, Wheaties, SLQ’s, walkers, Kennedy’s, franklins, modern rolls of pennies, contemporary counterfeits, barber dimes and quarters, 400 foreign coins ranging from 1870’s-modern, early copper cents and half cents, 2cent and 3 Cent pieces, a 1863 civil war plantation slave lock, antique handmade turquoise and silver Iroquois Indian earrings and silver hammered dagger, 7 gold and silver pocket watches from the 1880’s, the only pair of Tiffany shoe buckles known ca.1930 , Cartier gold and diamond stick pin, Original early marking Georg Jensen Jewelry with labradorite (literally I have the only known originals of the pattern numbers on the ca.1905-1935 Georg Jensen jewelry), Tiffany gold locket with original pictures in it from 1930’s.

Note: the man who sold this to me knew absolute zero about antiques and coins. I was honest and gave him a better price than any coin shop just so I could get the chance to start searching.

So the odd part is that when I received all of this it was all thrown into rectangular tub the size of a dresser drawer... only 2 items were given any special care and not by that current owner but by the deceased family member whom he had inherited it from. They looked like (2) 1964-D mint sets. Each 5 coin Denver Mint set was in a ziplock baggy. So that is kind of odd considering if you bought a mint set you would get it with 5 Philadelphia Mint coins and 5 Denver Mint coins and why would it be removed from the original mint cello if you weren’t going to put it in a holder. Instead they were in 2 separate ziplock baggies. No writing on the bags. So then I took them out and noticed they appeared to have a different Finish. I then looked up a special finish coin for 1964 on google but all I found was info on the 1964 Philadelphia Satin Special Mint Sets. Then I asked on forums a year ago and I was told nothing of the sort exists for 1964-D. So I gave up my quest for a bit but then I’d take all my 1964 D Unc Kennedy’s out and my 1964D Quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies and I purchased a mint set from my local coin dealer to compare the regular mint set Finish and I’m telling you these coins are just in another league and they do look like they have a different Finish. So I continued searching google for endless hours trying to find out if these exist because I swear they are different. Then I found it.

So it actually does exist, just very few people know about it and it is so hard to determine that the Smithsonian didn’t even realize what they had until just recently. So I looked up the characteristics of the 1964 Philadelphia Satin Finish SMS coins and found that the Kennedy’s had both T1and T2 reverses. Not all Kennedy’s have the tear drop on the 4, they all have extremely heavy die polish marks, they have a more dull finish, squared rims and very sharp strikes. Mine have all of the above.

Then I realized the 2 sets from the baggies have mint marks that look different from the Mint sets and circulation strikes. They are sharp, thinner and are clearly better than all other mint state coins I have to compare in my collection.

Since, they made over 50 sets in the Philadelphia Mint with the special Satin Finish, then it wouldn’t be that crazy to think that NOW, that we know there is a 1964-D SMS Satin Finish in the Smithsonian, then there are probably more out there to be discovered. Luckily I have 2 complete sets that came in separate bags so I can help prove my case rather than just finding one coin at a show and saying I think this one coin is a 64 Denver Satin Finish. I honestly know with absolute certainty that these do not have a regular mint set finish. So why would someone have (2) sets of circulation strikes in mint condition in separate bags. I understand it’s possible but if they were that type of a collector they would have done it for many years like a 50 year stretch where they picked their favorite circulation strikes of each denomination for each year and have each year in separate bags.... but to have just 2 sets of of 1964-D circulation strikes in mint condition in separate bags make ZERO SENSE.

I will post photos of all 10 coins tonight. I’m starting a new thread for this topic of 2 complete sets with possible Satin Finish.

The two pennies from the baggies were missing the dot after unum. So that’s why I was asking for people to post theirs because if no one has any 64-d missing dot pennies, it would help my case with these being unique special strikes.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 5:39PM

Very interesting. I can't wait to see the photos and hear the responses.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 8:36PM

In my bag of pre-1982 cents, I quickly found three 1964-D. (There are probably more, but I'm too lazy to search right now.)

One of 'em appears to be missing TWO dots (7X magnification):

Actually, under 15X magnification the dots are almost barely noticeable.

For comparison, I pulled a 1964-D from one of my probably-uncirculated rolls. (The real mystery is, why did my long-deceased Grandma save rolls of cents? And why do I save 'em?)

Based on my tiny sample size, I'm guessing missing dot(s) aren't all that rare. But who knows?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

I see the missing dot but mine has way thinner letters

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 2:42AM

I'll post some pics here too

• Options

Here’s another pic

• Options

Here’s another

• Options

Here’s the dime mint mark for the dime posted above.

• Options

Another

• Options

More

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

There, I found your missing dot

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

• Options
    edited February 6, 2018 11:10AM

I have a feeling its not going to matter... :s

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die scratches do not a Satin Surface make

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:

But what about the MISSING DOT??? ;)

• Options

In the photos I posted of a 1964 D lincoln cent ( which by the way is the best I could do as far as the photos go...)... I checked with a microscope under 20x magnification and there is no sign of a dot on the left side of UNUM or the E or dot in E . PLURIBUS. These cents are very common not only in SMS's but regular stikes also. Hope this helps.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@FredWeinberg said:

But what about the MISSING DOT??? ;)

Fred already answered that previously. And, no, those don't look SMS quality to me either.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

When I was roll searching (for what, who knows) 2000 Sacs when they first came out, I found one that had almost a matte finish, sort of like a satin unc. It was clearly different from the others and I set it aside as it looked interesting, but I had no illusions that it was a special strike of some kind.

There is a wide variety of "finishes" in circulating coinage. Die state, planchet quality, and striking pressure all enter into the equation.

• Options

Here I have 2 with the missing dot from the 2baggies. Here they are vs a mint set coin. coin on top is mint set vs 2nd n 3rd coin from the baggies that have the missing Dot. What are the chances I have two in mint state and I can’t even find a pic of a circulated one.

• Options

@Watchbelieve said:
    What are the chances I have two in mint state and I can’t even find a pic of a circulated one.

Your cents were struck from the same dies and came from the same roll or bag. That is the obvious answer.

There were 3.8 BILLION cents minted in Denver in 1964. The chance of randomly finding another coin from your dies is virtually nonexistent.

1964 sets were popular from that year onward for some time. It was the first year of the JFK half and the last year of 90% silver. In your case, someone obviously put together a couple of unc. sets.

It really is no more complicated than that.

By the way, if someone really was going to strike up some special sets, why would they use old, worn dies?

No offense, but you are wasting your talents. You have a good eye for detail, and if you were looking for known varieties you could probably get rich by cherrypicking coins on eBay and elsewhere.

• Options

Notice the crisis crossing of heavy die polish in upper left in pic

• Options

Look how this even looks proofy. I haven’t altered the pics at all.

• Options

So guys here is something really special.. I've seen dots missing but never seen anything like this before e pluribus Unum covered with three dots in a triangle shape? guys do share information..

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

So can anyone explain in details what this can be? I'm replying..

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mahaveer_singh said:

So can anyone explain in details what this can be? I'm replying..

In the thread you posted before Fred Weinberg has already replied to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file