1986 Lincoln penny E Pluribus Unum WITH THREE DOTS!

So guys here is something really special.. I've seen dots missing but never seen anything like this before e pluribus Unum covered with three dots in a triangle shape? guys do share information..


Comments

  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Possible copper-plating bubble,
    or a 'hit', but tough to know for
    sure from your photo.

    Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV.
    Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 42 +-Year PNG Member, and an ICTA Board Member.A full time coin dealer since 1972.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Coin Facts

  • Cant be one copper plating bubble that's the centre point and a precise dot mark there has to be something behind it.

  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

    OK, then it's a 'hit.

    See the whitish area around the outside
    of the 'Dot'.

    Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV.
    Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 42 +-Year PNG Member, and an ICTA Board Member.A full time coin dealer since 1972.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Mahaveer_singh said:
    Cant be one copper plating bubble that's the centre point and a precise dot mark there has to be something behind it.

    And what might that be?

    https://coinweek.com

  • @FredWeinberg said:
    OK, then it's a 'hit.

    See the whitish area around the outside
    of the 'Dot'.

    Whitish area, I think the first (Dot 1) and the middle one (Dot 2) gives the same effect.

  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is probably NOT a raised, mint-made dot BUT it sure looks like one and it is perfectly centered to make a triangle. Have someone look at it for you as pictures are not good enough. It will not be the first time a coin has had a "perfect" dot placed on the die for some reason.

  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 26,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Random planchet bubbles and/or random hits can occur at (drum roll) RANDOM PLACES! If that random place happens to be someplace geometrically interesting, we call that a (rim shot) COINCIDENCE!

    Live your life in such a way that the Preacher does not have to lie when you are dead.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

    We'll see. :wink:

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2018 1:28AM

    An observation.

    The “ES” and “o” above and to the right of the suspect top dot. Looks possibly like grease filled die.

    Cent is corroding from the inside?

  • @Hemispherical said:
    An observation.

    The “ES” and “o” above and to the right of the suspect top dot. Looks possibly like grease filled die.

    Cent is corroding from the inside?

    Let's discuss about the Mysterious dot mark.. If you got information details do share!

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ask Fred Weinberg. He is the expert. Read his signature line or goog him.

    I just made an observation on what looks like die filled grease on the letters.

  • Thanks, I'll upload few more pictures.. 👍

  • Mahaveer_singhMahaveer_singh Posts: 44
    edited December 21, 2018 10:05AM


    @Hemispherical said:
    Ask Fred Weinberg. He is the expert. Read his signature line or goog him.

    I just made an observation on what looks like die filled grease on the letters.

    @Insider2 said:
    It is probably NOT a raised, mint-made dot BUT it sure looks like one and it is perfectly centered to make a triangle. Have someone look at it for you as pictures are not good enough. It will not be the first time a coin has had a "perfect" dot placed on the die for some reason.

  • @Insider2 said:
    It is probably NOT a raised, mint-made dot BUT it sure looks like one and it is perfectly centered to make a triangle. Have someone look at it for you as pictures are not good enough. It will not be the first time a coin has had a "perfect" dot placed on the die for some reason.

    Picture quality not that good yeah, I tried clicking a few more if you can see them above..

  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Use florescent light to remove the glare!

  • rickoricko Posts: 67,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like either a plating bubble or a die chip in a very opportune spot....Cheers, RickO

Sign In or Register to comment.