Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Many guesses no answer 5c 1937-D

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2018 4:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I can't find out what's going on with this 1937-D Buffalo Nickel and figured I'd finally ask here.

It appears it's missing a hoof.

I don't want to muddy the waters with going theories.

I'd love to hear what you all think.

Cheers and thank you.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the hoof is there....just covered with crud.

• Options

The discolored portion of the coin is flat with the surface of the coin.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not a genuine 3 Legger. It looks like someone tried to remove the leg and failed.

In the process, they damaged the hoof. Isn't it a coincidence that the only place that the "crud" appears is by the leg?

Whoever did it tried to cover up the tool marks with the crud.

Looks like an old alteration.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 2:38AM

Whenever I see a suspected error with PMD of some kind I get suspicious. Sometimes it is just coincidence, but often it is not.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree...looks like a failed alteration attempt.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

New variety. "Thrush Foot Bison."

The hoof is there (possibly not complete) and the surface is corroded. If I owned the coin, I should remove the corrosion and hope I have a genuine coin with a mint-made "partial leg." If so you have an interesting coin. Don't plan on it being worth a fortune.

Just recently a 3 1/2 leg 1937-D was certified as genuine.

• Options

Thanks all. I'd love to clean it or get it cleaned but don't know where to start. If it appears as a failed alteration to you folks I'm sure you're right but I'd love to see what's underneath. It was just gunk-ish 35 years ago, now it's corroded.

What's the worst that can happen.. it be worth less than 5 cents? =P

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

the black makes it look like to me someone experimented and tried nitric acid to see if it would dissolve nickel - but then again I do not care about your nickel worth around a quarter

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks like post mint damage to me. The rest of the details are sharp with no suggestion of a late die state or die refurbishing, which is what happend the 1937-D Three Leg Baffalo.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file