Home U.S. Coin Forum

So you got some coins back that did NOT "sticker?"

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2018 9:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

If you submit coins for sticker and they do NOT get one......

Whadda ya do? :)

(The "anonymous" box is still checked as I post this)

So you got some coins back that did NOT "sticker?"

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 10:30AM

I'm happy to get a grade at the one big house, let alone a sticker @ the big one's house.

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I mostly use CAC as a test of my own eye,if it doesnt sticker,lesson learned but I usually keep the coin.Funny thing is,in 10 years I got 4 gold beans.....sold all 4 of them

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 10:06AM

Spend em on a snickers bar.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their average approval rates are around 40%. I send in coins that I don't think have a chance and they sticker. I send in coins that look like a lock with a plus grade to boot and no green beanie. I spoke with a dealer who has been in the business for 50 years and he got 28% recently with high end coins. He said it did not make it worthwhile for him and he will be reluctant in the future to submit.

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer for some is regrade to a new cert number and try again. I never go this far.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never sent any in before, but I voted that I would still keep them, but wonder why they didn't sticker.

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have never sent any in nor do I own any stickered coins. I do wonder sometimes how my coins would do if submitted.

Trade $'s
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy your own stickers.....!

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep it and be just as happy as when I bought it. I bought the coin because I liked it, not because I hoped someone else would like it.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one answer. Depends on the coin, what I’m trying to accomplish, how much I paid for it, how much I like it and other factors. Usually I ask for feedback on the ones that didn’t sticker. Sometimes I can see the issue. Sometimes I can’t. A solid “C” coin for the grade (if graded correctly) is a perfectly good coin at the right price.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love all my coins just the same.....sticker or no sticker. However, many of mine have never been to the bean factory, so the results would be very interesting.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

1,2 and 3

 I love the coin just the same as before I sent it in.

 I keep it and wonder WHY it didn't sticker.

 I begin to look at it with a different attitude.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

find a sticker on one and put it on that one >:)

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just means that JA didn't want to buy the coin when he or someone else at CAC looked at it. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really collect coins, I'm more about the plastic slabs, paper labels and green and gold stickers. Crazy world we live in.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Buy your own stickers.....!

Now I like that one!

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Wouldn't send it in for a sticker in the first place

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've learned more about coin grading and coins in general from ones that have failed than about anything else so far in my 3 years collecting. John taking the time to explain why a coin didn't pass is incredibly generous of him.

To answer the OP what I do depends on why the coin failed. I had a morgan fail that he said everything was there for 66 except the toning which, while original, was just too splotchy and not eye appealing enough to warrant passing. I find the eye appeal unique and still love the coin. Another time I learned my $5 lib was enhanced at one point. What I thought was interesting "original" color he said he instantly could tell was messed with instead. I learned from that and definitely look at that coin differently now (but am keeping because I still like it).

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 5:12PM

Eight to ten years ago, I started mostly buying PCGS and NGC graded coins. Other grading services often seemed to be over-graded to my eye, but occasionally I'd buy one if the "price was right" for what I thought the grade was. I'd then immediately send them in for a cross-over and I was typically right on the money. In the past few years I started buying only PCGS graded coins. I either sold or crossed all my NGC stuff. Now, in the past year, I've started picking up more and more PCGS/CAC sticker coins. I'm to the point now that CAC catches my eye since I tend to agree that CAC sticker coins are solid for the grade. Personally, I don't like the idea of "grading the graders" but it seems to be working. It is what it is. Most CAC sticker coins I've bought recently are getting a premium price. So I guess my next step is to only buy PCGS/CAC coins, until someone comes along that grades CAC. Reminds me of kindergarten when we would get a gold star if we got a high grade vs just being average.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The premium for appearance is fully warranted.

https://www.coastcoin.com/items/229018/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it has always been about the coin.... be it raw, slabbed or stickered - or any combination (hmmm did anyone ever get a sticker on a raw coin?? :D ) I have many, many slabbed coins... more raw coins....I do not look at them any different if they do not sticker... and since I do not sell coins, it really does not matter. Cheers, RickO

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I no longer purchase coins without a CAC sticker...

• slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoy purchasing coins in PCGS holders and sending them to CAC as a check on my ability to buy coins high end of the grade. If the coin does not pass, I look for reasons on why it did not sticker. I never sold one simply because it did not sticker.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has and will suit me just fine, for the time being. But I'm a submitter, looking for proper grades the first time. And if I disagree, I have other power tools at my disposal. No complaints about CAC, PCGS, or NGC from me. They do us all a relatively good service as "protection" goes.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is sad. Anything other that #1 and to me the person is not a true coin collector. I never send coins to CAC.

When I buy coins the Sticker or non sticker does not sway me one way or the other. I buy coins not stickers.

But that's me.......I'm a coin collector. :)

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    I just toss them into the trash. Who wants a plastic tomb without a sticker?

What day do you put your "trash" out to the curb?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • 10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I wait until I sell them. At that time they are submitted to CAC before being auctioned.
    That way I can blissfully enjoy my coins while they are in my possession :o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file