Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Robbery/murder reported

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this from Numismatic Crime:

Detectives with the Indianapolis,IN police department are investigating a homicide discovered earlier today (1/26/18). A male victim 75 years old was found dead of possible blunt trauma inside his residence. Detectives believe that coins/ collection in excess of $100,000 are missing from the residence along with other items such as guns and jewelry.

The suspect or suspects left in the victims Hummer but that vehicle has been recovered.

The investigation is on-going and there is no inventory list available at this time. However, dealers should be alert to any suspicious persons attempting to sell a large amount of coins in the Indianapolis or surrounding areas.

An update and list of stolen coins will be sent out as soon as possible.

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

Comments

• Options

They must have struggled, unfortunately split second actions which are impossible to plan for can make all the difference.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    That's to bad. I wonder if the victim was armed at the time or if his gun was locked up? IMO if you have that amount of valuable coins around... your weapon must be very close at hand or it's useless. This is just my opinion.

Don't disagree about the value that a firearm provides, but expecting a citizen (let alone at 75) to have a gun in his hand 24/7 is a bit of a stretch.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 9:13AM

@Coinstartled said
    Don't disagree about the value that a firearm provides, but expecting a citizen (let alone at 75) to have a gun in his hand 24/7 is a bit of a stretch.

In hand and at hand are two different scenarios.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

i hope they solve that quickly what a bummer to read

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always am skeptical about the media’s interpretation of rare coin collections and valuations. A stack of mint sets and colored quarters does not 100 grand make.

But it could be and that sucks for his family

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    @Coinstartled said

Like answering the door or taking a shower or puttering down in the basement. Tough enough to keep enough reading glasses around.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    That's to bad. I wonder if the victim was armed at the time or if his gun was locked up? IMO if you have that amount of valuable coins around... your weapon must be very close at hand or it's useless. This is just my opinion.

Exactly. Even though I live in a patrolled private community, I keep a loaded gun at each end of the house. The front and back doors are in the middle of the house and you don't know where you'll be when and if SHTF.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Life is fleeting. DNA not so much. RIP brother.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Jimnight said:
    @Coinstartled said

Like answering the door or taking a shower or puttering down in the basement. Tough enough to keep enough reading glasses around.

That's what a holster is for, no?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad's the same age, probably the same or more than that amount mentioned in OP. He keeps a gun at each end of the house and there's one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. Gated community but that's where a lot of high value crimes happen. Never know though. Easy to be behind a computer screen with 20/20 hindsight.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leaving guns minimally hidden in your house to use them in case of break in is not necessarily the best policy. Assuming you are NOT in the house when the break-in occurs, any guns lying around would be amongst the first things the burglar would take. In various jurisdictions (even after you have reported your gun stolen) you are civilly liable for what is done with the gun(s).

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer - I wouldn't keep that much stuff around my house for this exact reason. I don't think a gun would have helped much unless you have it in a holster but you still have to sleep. A dog might help a bit but there are easy ways around a dog if they knew it was in the house. If a professional knows what is in there and they want it you are in trouble. Hope they catch them and give them what they deserve...

Jim

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 1:31PM

@bsshog40 said:
    Most people do not boast to others about collecting coins and having that much worth just laying around the house, unless it is family or close friends. I would most likely bet it is someone close to the victim. It's a shame that people can be soo greedy that they have no respect for life.

I agree 100%. Sometimes personal information can get out, for instance yesterday I received an email
    from Govmint saying my order has been shipped out. I have no open orders with them and as I scrolled down
    the page it was an order for a gentleman in Nobelsville. IN. Now I have the guys full name and address, but don't know why it came to my email? I contacted Govmint and they responded with an apology for receiving the email and to disregard. Makes me wonder if my information has been sent out to someone else.

If someone here with the first name initial E. and lives in Nobelsville, IN you might want to give Govmint a call and give them an ear full!

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This gun thing is a bit over the top. What do you think the reaction times of a 75 year old are? The simple facts are that even with training, people in households with guns are SIX times more likely to be wounded by gunfire and THREE times more likely to die by gunfire.

PS - I have nothing come to my house of a numismatic nature, and am most careful with disposal of any catalogues, etc. that are always at a distance and have no addresses on them.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did police determine what the thief was looking for? Gun collectors are common targets (no pun intended) because they frequently socialize about the subject.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    This gun thing is a bit over the top. What do you think the reaction times of a 75 year old are? The simple facts are that even with training, people in households with guns are SIX times more likely to be wounded by gunfire and THREE times more likely to die by gunfire.

Gun owners are much more likely to die because of a gun. Because their suicide attempts are much more successful than pills, a knife, etc. Guns and mental health/depression problems are a very bad mix.

That being said, I really hope they catch the guy. Thankfully criminals often make dumb mistakes. Hopefully the perpetrator here does as well. I do think dogs are helpful not necessarily so much in an invasion situation (how often would it taking an extra couple seconds to shoot a dog make a difference), but rather from a preventative standpoint. If you are a robber, you maybe think about finding another target so you don't have to deal with it. We have two German Shepherds :)

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me, but walking around armed all day and being ready to react and pounce just doesn't seem like living. I'll take my chances with a boogie board at the beach instead.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given all of the speculation here, I might add that the police are looking for the man's 25-year old showgirl wife and her low-life boyfriend.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers for the family this just breaks my heart. Greed is a sickness and I would guess the perps will be caught God willing. I don’t have that kind of money collection in my resident. That’s my story and I have both a dog and firearms very close to me always. 85% of these crimes are by family extended family friend neighbors etc. if I had to guess I would say probably drug addicts. So sad. Will look out for the list and forward it

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

This past week there was an incident near us where a 73 year old vet's home was broken into. He was tied up and beaten, the thieves wheeled away his entire safe and vehicle. Not sure if any coins were involved but there were at least 9 guns stolen. Thankfully the guy survived.

Pretty much the entire area of Western Pennsylvania had been devastated by the prescription drugs epidemic. Most of these addicts will do anything to get their fix and events like this are far to common. If anyone in this area finds out you may have valuables stored in your home you better believe you will become a target. Stay vigilant my fellow collectors and stackers.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Personally I would keep my hoard of valuables at the bank as the government is a rare threat, there is the possibility of an over-zealous agency that puts a freeze on a sdb due to a misunderstanding. With firearms you have to keep practicing and have the right mental toughness in case of emergencies which are rare, and impossible to fully prepare for. Let's hope the leo's do their work well and nail the perps.. They can run but they can't hide.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 5:10PM

@Davideo said:

Gun owners are much more likely to die because of a gun. Because their suicide attempts are much more successful than pills, a knife, etc. Guns and mental health/depression problems are a very bad mix.

Your opinion is based on what facts???

"The top 10 leading causes of death in the U.S.:
    1.Heart disease
    2.Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
    3.Chronic lower respiratory disease
    4.Accidents (unintentional injuries)
    5.Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases)
    6.Alzheimer's disease
    7.Diabetes
    8.Influenza and pneumonia
    9.Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis)
    10.Suicide"

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

acloco, you are mixing apples and oranges. please see the following: https://hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-ownership-and-use/

• Options

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

Your opinion is based on what facts???

"The top 10 leading causes of death in the U.S.:
    1.Heart disease
    2.Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
    3.Chronic lower respiratory disease
    4.Accidents (unintentional injuries)
    5.Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases)
    6.Alzheimer's disease
    7.Diabetes
    8.Influenza and pneumonia
    9.Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis)
    10.Suicide"

You appear to be misunderstanding. My post was in response to the likelihood of a gun owner dying from a gun being higher than a non gun owner dying from a gun. So clearly I am not saying a gun owner is more likely to die because of a gun than say a heart attack, but agreeing that a gun owner is more likely to die by a gun than a non-gun owner, however, it is because of suicides.

This opinion is based on facts. There are a number of studies and a lot of data. Here's an interesting graphical one regarding gun deaths (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/). It doesn't give details on gun owners vs non-gun owners, but approximately 2/3rds of gun deaths are suicides.

• Options

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

This opinion is based on facts. There are a number of studies and a lot of data. Here's an interesting graphical one regarding gun deaths (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/). It doesn't give details on gun owners vs non-gun owners, but approximately 2/3rds of gun deaths are suicides.

LOL! "Opinion based on facts...." No breakdown of owners versus non owners.

List of countries - U.S. is far down the list.

http://www.businessinsider.com/world-suicide-rate-map-2014-4

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/53555a8aeab8ea7049ad5087-565-765/world suicide rates with india table.png

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think we should have a PO Box address if dealing in eBay environment so home address won't be known to would be burglar?

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

won't be printed on the invoice?

• Options

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

LOL! "Opinion based on facts...." No breakdown of owners versus non owners.

List of countries - U.S. is far down the list.

http://www.businessinsider.com/world-suicide-rate-map-2014-4

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/53555a8aeab8ea7049ad5087-565-765/world suicide rates with india table.png

I still don't know what point you are trying to make. I clarified a previous point that gun owners are more likely to die by a gun than a non gun owner mostly because of suicide. You then provided an irrelevant list of most common causes of death. I provided a link to statistics showing that the large majority of gun deaths are suicides. I just went with what I knew I could find quickly, though more detailed studies exist. You are certainly free to think that a lot of gun suicides occur with guns that do not belong to the victim or victim's family, but that is not the case. You then provided an irrelevant list of countries with the highest suicides rates.

Just for you, here are some relevant links about two different studies:
    foxnews.com/health/2014/01/21/gun-ownership-tied-to-three-fold-increase-in-suicide-risk.html
    https://minnpost.com/second-opinion/2012/12/health-risk-having-gun-home

I don't know if you think I'm anti gun or something. I'm very pro-firearms, have firearms, and live in rural Wyoming where guns are omni-present. Sadly, we also have about the highest suicide rate in the country, so I try to be informed on the issue. For someone who is responsible, and without anger, depression, or other similar problems, I personally believe the additional risk is effectively negligible. However, on the aggregate it is more likely that a gun owner dies from a gun.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    Do you think we should have a PO Box address if dealing in eBay environment so home address won't be known to would be burglar?

It personally makes me feel good having a PO Box. However, I don't know how often a criminal actually targets a house based on knowing a mailing address. I'm not sure if that information even really exists, but I do like having a PO Box for privacy reasons.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its OK Davideo we know your a good coin collector! Sorry about you living in Wyyyyyyoooming though! Just kidding love them Cowboy's!

• Options

@Davideo said:

"Opinion based on facts...." No breakdown of owners versus non owners.

Again....your opinion is based on facts that do NOT have both sides of the coin to compare to. To put it simply, the "facts" only have one group to compare to......what are you comparing ONE group to???

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll stick with the Safe Deposit Box.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

I've had a gun pointed at me once as far as I know, being armed wouldn't have helped. Heading south with an rv, I pulled off and used a self service car wash in North Carolina off I95. City dude #1 comes up to me with a couple "gold" chains saying he got them during better times and needs to sell them to get back home. I buy them like a dummy for $40. Dude #2 comes by a few minutes later wanting to know what dude #1 was talking to me about. I show him the gold chains, he says they are junk and says he knows him and will get my money back. So he gets in my vehicle we drive over there and holds me up with a gun pointed at me. No struggle; and afterwards the cops suspect it was a drug deal, lol. A few months later they contacted me at home apologizing for the false accusation.

I can see that there are a lot of situations especially in rural areas where firearms would be useful.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 6:58AM

@BryceM said

Don’t post on any form of social media. Don’t order from the mint. Don’t order any publications. Don’t talk about coins or collecting with anyone. Don’t buy or sell coins. Don’t talk about your security plan. Don’t have anything valuable in your home. Don’t shower without a firearm. Don’t go to coin shows.

Hmmmm. Seems impractical and no fun. Life is full of risk. Just try to minimize it, enjoy, pay attention, but insurance, and carry on. :)

Excellent post, people forget about the pursuit of happiness.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 8:35AM

Be careful about what you post on any form of social media. Don’t waste your money ordering from the mint. Don’t order any publications, access them online. Be smart when talking about coins or collecting with anyone: loose lips sink ships. Don’t talk about your security plan. Don’t keep valuable coins in your home as a habit for any period of time.

Life is full of risk. Just try to minimize it, enjoy, pay attention, buy insurance, rent a SDB and carry on.

there, Bryce, I cleaned it up for you.

• Options

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

"Opinion based on facts...." No breakdown of owners versus non owners.

Again....your opinion is based on facts that do NOT have both sides of the coin to compare to. To put it simply, the "facts" only have one group to compare to......what are you comparing ONE group to???

Quote from the Fox News article, not exactly a left leaning publication:
    "Researchers found people who lived in homes with firearms were between two and three times more likely to die from either cause ['suicide and murder'], compared to those who lived in homes without guns."

So there is your summary of the comparison, all the way in the second sentence. I don't mind a good discussion, but not without someone who doesn't even read or try to understand and just seems to have an axe to grind. I'm out.

• Options

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

So there is your summary of the comparison, all the way in the second sentence. I don't mind a good discussion, but not without someone who doesn't even read or try to understand and just seems to have an axe to grind. I'm out.

Because I questioned your first statement declaring the firearm owners are off their rocker?

You draw your opinion from facts? TRUE facts look at BOTH and/or ALL possibilities - everything you have quoted give ONE dimension.

Axe to grind - no.....but tell the whole story...which includes more than what fits your "opinion based on fact".

Could be having the same discussion about number of auto accidents per state. Easy to offer an opinion based on fact, until the data is reviewed that it might matter if the number of miles driven per year, population density, state has winter, etc, etc...............are included in the final analysis.

• Options

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

Because I questioned your first statement declaring the firearm owners are off their rocker?

Haha. No, I said folks off their rocker mixed with guns is bad: quote - "Guns and mental health/depression problems are a very bad mix." But by all means, completely twist away. Not even twist, just make up my statements actually.

But please continue making your straw man.

Here, let's try this with your mention of auto accidents. Drunkenness and drivers are a very bad mix. Please respond angrily that not all drivers are drunk, and statistics with drunk driving deaths are only one side of the story.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way this thread has gone leaves me wanting to ............

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

I would be concerned especially in the heavy gun toting parts to have two or more capable people with guns drawn stuck in a Mexican standoff; if a fight is decided by who draws first generally the element of surprise and youth is on the side of the perpetrator.

News report: https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/crime/person-found-dead-inside-house-homicide-detectives-responding

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

Haha. No, I said folks off their rocker mixed with guns is bad: quote - "Guns and mental health/depression problems are a very bad mix." But by all means, completely twist away. Not even twist, just make up my statements actually.

Here, let's try this with your mention of auto accidents. Drunkenness and drivers are a very bad mix. Please respond angrily that not all drivers are drunk, and statistics with drunk driving deaths are only one side of the story.

Give it up. The person you're trying to argue with doesn't seem to be playing with a full deck.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

@acloco said:

@Davideo said:

Your original statement:
    "@Davideo said:

Gun owners are much more likely to die because of a gun. Because their suicide attempts are much more successful than pills, a knife, etc. Guns and mental health/depression problems are a very bad mix."

Your words.....

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely terrible !!!! :'(

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file